Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Brand new to Honda and CRV (just got my first CRV last week!) 2018 EX. Absolutely loving the upgrade from my old 2007 chevy cobalt - finally have room for all my camping gear! Except for a puncture in a tire on day 2 from a screw (repaired before it went flat) and a visor that fell off, it's been a nice drive so far.

The one issue that is bothering me is a noticeable medium/high pitch humming noise coming from the tires/wheels/bearings/I donno what. I notice it starting around 40km/h (25mph) and it gets more pronounced the faster I go, quite noticeable on the highway. I don't think it's the turbo, since that sound is actually pleasant to my ears and much higher pitched. I can hear the turbo wind down quickly whereas this goes on while moving. Also, this sound is present even when I'm coasting without my foot on the gas.

I thought I was going crazy so I asked someone to come drive with me. They initially laughed but then admitted they could hear it and it was annoying. Even turning up the radio doesn't drown it out completely. It's not really all that loud, but the frequency is noticeable even with other road and radio noise. It's driving me nuts.

I took it into the dealer, apologizing for bringing in a new car for a 'humming sound'. They test drove it and then tested an identical new car off the lot. I was informed this is just 'normal' as it was heard on the other car CRV too.

I don't recall hearing this on my test drive, although maybe I was paying attention more to the other features and driving characteristics of the car. If I would have realized it would be a constant sound while driving, I would have had second thoughts about the car (OK, maybe I still would have bought it :)

Any thoughts? If I had to guess, I'd say it's the tires, or possibly bearings?? I've never had new tires make this humming sound however. The car is BRAND NEW with 400km (250 miles) from last week, although I heard this from day 1.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Have you checked the tire pressure?.....all 4 tires on our CRV had 40+ psi.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
you might want to ck the air pressure and verify it against the pressure listed in the drivers side sticker/list.

Honda tends to overfill the tires.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The other thing is to drive another new CR-V from the dealers lot with the service manager and see if that one has the same sound. Keep in mind that everyone's hearing is different, one frequency might bother one person, yet another person may not even hear it...especially technicians that work in a potentially loud shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another vote for checking the tire pressure. All 4 of mine were right around 40 PSI as well. I dropped the pressure to the recommended levels and thing got quite a bit quieter.

I'm surprised so many cars are getting off the lots with over inflated tires. That seems like pretty basic stuff to catch on pre-delivery checks.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What brand tire?

What tire pressure in them especially all of them

if AWD do not want to throw off the AWD with one tire the wrong pressure & size?

Just my thoughts.

congrats and you'll get a rep to solve the issue

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2018 CR-V Touring was delivered with 37 psi in each tire.... I believe the front get 33 and rear 30 .. check the sticker....be sure to reset the TPMS system after adjusting tire pressure..

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I made them re-do the PDI checklist, (mine was also delivered at 40), since if they didn't check the tire pressure, what else did they skip?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Lol that three page list has a lot to offer, you were to go over it when apone pick up guess you were very happy to get the car and go.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Unless the OP comes back with some replies lets not waste our time.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Touring has 18" Hankook.. no road noise... just overinflated...

·
Registered
631 Posts
We can talk about the issues the OP has as well others that may have.

The car comes with Bridgestones yes.
mine came with them and they were louder than the touring model i tested,,,but after they got some wear on the 7400 Kilometers they have quieted down to me

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I am sure new tires do that over time we tend to not hear them anymore. I also wonder if the Noise calceling systen is working or needs fine tuning to deafen the humm the OP has? we'll see when they adjust the tires and see if it tunes down?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am sure new tires do that over time we tend to not hear them anymore. I also wonder if the Noise calceling systen is working or needs fine tuning to deafen the humm the OP has? we'll see when they adjust the tires and see if it tunes down?
With the engine running open the back tailgate door and then wind down the driver door window and if your noise cancelling is working you will hear the muffler sound get amplified throughout the car by about 10 fold. If that does not happen your ANC is not working. It seems this test causes a feedback loop and the ANC amplifies the muffler sound.

Rob

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Tires get louder with age due to the synthetic rubber getting harder with age. New tires are softer, thus quieter.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Tires get louder with age due to the synthetic rubber getting harder with age. New tires are softer, thus quieter.
Actually, they're noisier for the first couple hundred miles while they wear in. Then, they're at their best until they wear to a point. Each tire is different. As others have stated, proper pressure is key.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I've never noticed a new tire getting quieter.:confused2: When a tire is new, it is as soft as it will ever be. I've always noticed how much quieter a new set is within a block or two after leaving the tire shop.:nod:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts