Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first new Honda CR-V (2019) 4 weeks ago which had 76 miles on it at the time of purchase. I now have 1100 miles on it.

I noticed some brown areas on the
pipe the other day and wanted to check if this appears normal to others or not.

I was expecting to see the exhaust pipes to be shiny metallic color, but they had these brown areas - not sure if it is rust or welding.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
This has been discussed in another thread recently.

Totally normal. What you are seeing is oxidation from the welding processes. It is superficial in nature, and has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the exhaust system or it's predicted life span. The pipes are a version of stainless pipe, and stainless, contrary to common thought... does still corrode, particularly when welded.

Besides.. it is under your vehicle. The only person who would ever see it is the driver in the vehicle behind you.. like a many other vehicles said driver will be following on the road.

For the OCD owner, that is offended by this... the other thread included some owners stating that they painted their pipes.. which then lead to.. what paint.. how long before it peels, etc. etc. :)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hasn't peeled (yet).:giggle:......and the muffs are still empty, 8 lbs lighter and rust free. (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noted the same thing when I bought my 2019 CR-V last May and called it to the dealer's attention before signing papers. Took pics, etc. Was told this is normal (no longer remember the reason), but living in the Rust Belt, this stuff is always a worry.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
It’s fine, don’t worry about it.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought my first new Honda CR-V (2019) 4 weeks ago which had 76 miles on it at the time of purchase. I now have 1100 miles on it.

View attachment 138017
I was expecting to see the exhaust pipes to be shiny metallic color, but they had these brown areas - not sure if it is rust or welding.

View attachment 138019

View attachment 138018
Yup! Exactly the same as ours. Started to oxidize early on but hasn't changed in 13K miles.

View attachment 138019

View attachment 138018

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Only AWD exhaust looks like that......FWD does not.:giggle:

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's just normal weld marks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 2019 CRV as soon as I got it home. Glad to no its nothing to worry about but I lease my CRV's and I've never notice this on any of my other crvs

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Were your other CRVs Gen 5s? Seems like Gen 5 1.5L fake dual exhaust tailpipes stick out like a sore thumb.....way more visible than previous CRVs, or current CRVs with the single tailpipe.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,985 Posts
hurry get under and wax it. Buff it back. quite the Norm

·
Registered
433 Posts
You guys are nitpicking a non issue. My 2004 TSX exhaust looked like that when a few years old and after nearly 16 years including daily winter driving in the salt and slush of Ontario it still has it’s original exhaust system!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
........and so will the CRV. Heck, 2 1/2 years ago I drilled a small hole in each of the muffs to drain the water. I was told I made a big mistake. Zero, zip, nada rust/corrosion at the holes and no water logged muffs 2 1/2 years later.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,985 Posts
Stainless steel they are to be not Stain less. back to the disks they're rusted again...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hey Mr. Fish, are you referring to the brake rotors when you say "discs"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts