Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 CRV will not start. All I hear is a click with I turn the key and nothing else. I already replaced the battery but that did not do it. All of the lights come on, the headlight work but it won't start. I am assuming it is the starter but is it possible it might be a fuse or something else I can do on my own? Between towing it to the mechanic and the repair I am looking at over $700 to replace a starter so if there is something easier I can try first, please let me know.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
For starters, turn your headlights on and try to start it. If the headlights stay bright ( might have to have someone else turning the key while you watch) that meas that the starter is not drawing much current (frozen).
It is very possible that the grounding wire on the starter itself is really corroded at its attachment point to the starter or the grounding point.
Were you having periodic starting problems before this?
Have to go one step at a time. Perhaps do some research on how to check for a failing starter.
Buffalo4
PS: Make sure battery connections are clean and snug and that the new battery is charged well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was having some starting difficulties that seemEd to grow overtime. When it first started I went to O’Reillys and they put a little tester on the battery and had me tested with and without the car running. They said the battery looked fine and he even said that the alternator and starter looked fine but I’m not sure how accurate their devices. When it finally stopped starting altogether about a week later I change the battery but that did nothing.

I will check what you said about the headlights when I start it.

For starters, turn your headlights on and try to start it. If the headlights stay bright ( might have to have someone else turning the key while you watch) that meas that the starter is not drawing much current (frozen).
It is very possible that the grounding wire on the starter itself is really corroded at its attachment point to the starter or the grounding point.
Were you having periodic starting problems before this?
Have to go one step at a time. Perhaps do some research on how to check for a failing starter.
Buffalo4
PS: Make sure battery connections are clean and snug and that the new battery is charged well.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It really does sound like the starter. If you can, the next time it doesn't start and if you can tap the starter with a hammer or similar and it then works, it definitely is a starter problem.
Sometimes it is just a starter solenoid problem.
Search this forum or the Internet to find out more about this problem. Many times the starter can be rebuilt pretty cheaply but the labor cost (if you can't remove and replace the starter yourself) is pretty high.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,579 Posts
When you turn the key you should hear a slight click come from the start relay located under the dash near your left foot. Next have someone start the car and go listen under the hood, you should also hear a louder click coming from under the hood. This is the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. If you hear the starter solenoid pickup than the problem is most likely the starter. While it is possible there is an electrical connection issue, for a 12 year old car it's most likely time for a new starter.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
When you turn the key you should hear a slight click come from the start relay located under the dash near your left foot. Next have someone start the car and go listen under the hood, you should also hear a louder click coming from under the hood. This is the starter solenoid mounted on the starter. If you hear the starter solenoid pickup than the problem is most likely the starter. While it is possible there is an electrical connection issue, for a 12 year old car it's most likely time for a new starter.
Edit, If you don't hear the little relay under the dash the problem could be the relay or the start switch in the ignition switch. Both of which are easily replaced by the owner.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The starters seem to go bad in these third-gen CR-Vs. Our blue '09 lost its starter on the coldest day of February last year, so there was no way I could replace it myself. It had intermittently quit working every so often, so I can't say I was surprised. On my other '09, I proactively changed it in April since I was preparing for some road trips and didn't feel like getting stranded. Plus, it had always cranked slowly, and was getting worse over time. Replaced this one with a remanufactured Denso.

Since the TSX also uses the same type of K24 engine and still has the original starter, I am going to replace that one when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
Seems everyone here pointing to the starter. Since the starter is not in a convenience place to tap as you crank the ignition, try to start the car rapidly between 2 and 3 postion to see if that get the starter to crank over. I've tried this method in the past, seems to do the trick. If it does crank over, it save you the cost of getting it tow to the shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time poster: please help! I have a 2008 Honda CR-V with 102,250 miles on it. Since I live in Chicago and park outside, my car is used to being exposed to all kinds of weather. I've had all the recommended oil changes and other regular maintenance done since I bought it in 2011, and I had a new battery from AAA installed in June 2018.

A few times since I got the battery, I'll go to start the car, and it won't turn over. I haven't left the lights on nor anything else that would drain power from the battery. Each time I've called AAA, and they jump the battery but say that everything indicates that the battery isn't dead. The other morning I went out to start the car, and the remote unlocked the car, but nothing would start, the car wouldn't turn over, the locks and windows wouldn't work. AAA came and jumped it and said the battery and alternator were working normally. I took my car to a highly recommended mechanic and they checked the alternator, battery, electrical system, and computer system, and they said everything is functioning perfectly well. Their only advice was to bring the car in for a new battery if it happened again (and also said that car batteries from AAA weren't the best). Also, maybe three times when I've started the car, the time display on the radio needs to be reset with the five-digit code. So: does anyone have any idea why every once in a while, my car won't start?

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,014 Posts
Something to think about.

Have you tried "jiggling" your key in the ignition switch? Sometimes the contacts inside the ignition switch get worn down, either by excessive use or by having a heavy key ring, i.e. many different keys +/or other items hanging on the key fob. Next time, take your CR-V key off of your key ring when you start your car.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Would agree AAA batteries aren't the best and they probably won't want to warranty one either.

Everything checking fine usually can be a symptom of bad connection or high resistance.
Are you a DIYer or take to shops?

So to clarify : cars doesn't crank at times tight.
When Jumpstart was done, was battery checked BEFORE jumping?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something to think about.

Have you tried "jiggling" your key in the ignition switch? Sometimes the contacts inside the ignition switch get worn down, either by excessive use or by having a heavy key ring, i.e. many different keys +/or other items hanging on the key fob. Next time, take your CR-V key off of your key ring when you start your car.
Oh, I do have a lot - A LOT - of keys and stuff on my key ring. I will try that: thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would agree AAA batteries aren't the best and they probably won't want to warranty one either.

Everything checking fine usually can be a symptom of bad connection or high resistance.
Are you a DIYer or take to shops?

So to clarify : cars doesn't crank at times tight.
When Jumpstart was done, was battery checked BEFORE jumping?
I am NOT a DIYer as far as vehicles, so yes, I'd take it to a shop or to someone who knows more than I do. I don't know if the battery was checked before jumping (yes, I am a total car noob).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It almost sounds like a bad ground or a bad battery. I am betting on a bad ground.
Make sure the battery connectors are clean (inside also) and very snug and that the battery posts are clean.
When it wouldn't start the lights were not working either nor the radio? If so, that would indicated a bad ground (probably loose) or a completely drained battery.
One of the main grounds goes from the radiator frame mount to the engine. I believe there is also a pretty main accessory ground in the engine compartment near the ww resevoir.
All the above are pretty easy to check and free. If the battery goes dead quickly, it could be a parasitic drain on the battery after the vehicle is shut off (perhaps a glove box light or dome light or stuck relay).
First off, remove the battery clamps (connectors) and make sure they and the battery posts are clean (clean them). and replace and tighten, don't go Godzilla on them when tightening.
Perhaps the last time it happened the battery was totally discharged.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You can do a search on Youtube for several tips on battery service. But to answer your question.
1. Use a 10mm (I think it's 10mm) wrench to loosen the nuts holding the clamps to the battery posts. Always remove the negative clamp first...remove the positive (red) clamp second.
2. You can clean the battery and posts using a solution of water and baking soda which will neutralize any acid.
3. Also clean the clamps with the same solution.
4. Use an abrasive cloth or wire brush on the terminal posts and inside the clamps where they contact the terminal posts.
5. Apply a light grease like vaseline to the posts
6. Reconnect the positive clamp first, and the negative clamp second. When tightening the bolts on the clamps do not over tighten. They are tighten enough when you can no longer move the clamps on the posts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts