Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time once again for a battery replacement for our 08 CRV. This is the 3rd battery since we purchased the car in 2007. The last battery a Duralast started to have issues this past summer and was a bit over 4yrs old. I limped it along till yesterday when it was 17 outside and it really struggled to turn over the engine. This time around I went with Interstate MT51-R. Replaced it last night and the CRV starts like it is brand new. No issues this morning starting either although it was a nice balmy 24 with snow.

I looked at the gel cell batteries, but could not justify twice the cost for a battery with less of a warranty (3yr vs 5yr). I purchased my battery from my local Firestone dealer. They have a special this month if you reserve your battery online, you get close to $20 bucks off the price. With tax I was at 107.00. Honda dealer wanted 93, but I just didn't have the time last night to drive down and pick it up. Installation was an extra 27.00 if I wanted them to do it. Took me 10 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have an Optima Yellow top for 2 years now. I run an onboard video camera and power my computer plus all of the electrical accessories including a 300w amp for the stereo. Has been great.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Unfortunately batteries are not made by Honda, so they don’t have the same great reliability as the vehicle itself. Furthermore, 4-5 years is now the typical battery life due to the more than ever electronics involved in a vehicle.

In my 2000 CRV, I got almost 9 years out of the original battery. I am on my 2nd battery for the 2009 CRV.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Whether you have a new or old battery be sure to check the level of it's fluid. Use only distilled water to bring it up to proper level. Low levels is a cause of battery failure. They may say 'maintenance free', but if there are cell caps then you can access and view the level. ...just saying.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great point on checking the fluid level jimbob15. Let it run too low and you will drastically shorten the life of the battery. I use a turkey baster to top off the fluid in the cells when needed. Keeps me from overfilling and making a mess. Use only distilled water. You don't need any minerals or chemicals getting in there. I check all my batteries at least monthly (including the deep cycle marine battery on my sump pump in the basement). Make it part of your weekend check routine.

If your terminals are getting a little fuzzy, clean them off with some baking soda mixed with water and an old tooth brush then lightly coat them with some grease. Check to make sure the cable connectors have not worked loose off the top of the terminals as well. I had a bunch of dirt in the bottom of the battery tray when I pulled my old battery out. Once the battery is removed, the tray lifts out for easy cleaning. Check underneath for any rust or corrosion especially if your old battery has a leak.

10mm on all the nuts to do this job. Use a deep well socket for removing the battery clamp

·
Registered
252 Posts
No doubt that a low electrolyte level degrades a battery more quickly, and 'Maintenance Free' batteries usually have caps hidden under the label that you can (and probably should) check. But I suspect that a combination of fuel saving design aspects such as smaller physical battery to save weight and the newer 'on demand' variable charging levels put more stress on the battery than would be present on older designs, and some driving habits such as frequent short trips exacerbate the issue. The stock battery in my '09 lasted 3 years, which seemed a bit short vs what my other (older) vehicles seemed to average. The current battery is holding it's own for the moment, which may be a result of my driving habits being different than when my wife originally drove the car.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sorry for being lazy here...but I'd like to know if the OP upped the size of the battery or is the MT51-r a direct replacement size?
I do know the next battery going into our CR-V will be a lot bigger than the one in it now (stock). I think it sucks that they don't put a properly sized battery in all in the name of saving money.
We once had a Taurus wagon (I know, I know) that had such a small battery in it that it would smell like rotten eggs because the sensors couldn't get the EFI to work right due to too low a voltage. Put as big a battery in as I could when it finally went bad and it was a completely different car. (End of rant, but it felt sooooo good to put it out there. Sorry.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not up the size of the original battery. The MT51-R is a direct replacement, at 500CCA and same physical dimensions as factory. The top of the battery cover needed trimmed back so I can pop the battery covers to check the fluid levels, however I did that back when I put the Duralast in a few years back. I had no issues with the factory battery and probably would have gone back to Honda for the replacement if I didn't park next to the Firestone store for work. Personally I've had really good experiences with Interstate batteries and this one rated on top of the CR test list for its size.

If you are looking to change the physical size of the battery, you may need to lose the plastic pan and cover and rig your own heat shield. You may also need to modify the battery clamp as well.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any thoughts on using R.O. water instead of distilled? I would think that it should be just as good but am hoping to hear other peoples comments. R.O. with plenty of carbon filter to keep the chemicals out too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
RO is not the same as distilled. RO can still have plenty of dissolved solids (100+ ppm) despite the filtering while distilled generally has 2 ppm or less. I was in the water business for 18 years. Only use distilled in your components.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Agree. Depending on the quality of the filter medium, RO is great at removing 90+% percent of common contaminants that damage the battery plates. But distilled water is dirt cheap and just that much better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RO is not the same as distilled. RO can still have plenty of dissolved solids (100+ ppm) despite the filtering while distilled generally has 2 ppm or less. I was in the water business for 18 years. Only use distilled in your components.
Thanks, That's exactly the info I was looking for. Distilled it is.

Now if someone would answer my question about what bolt is behind the oil change plug that I in advertently removed when changing the oil in my 15 CRV that would be 2 for 2.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/98497-2015-ex-removed-bolt-next-oil-drain-bolt.html

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just received the January issue of Cons Reports. Nice article rating batteries which I have yet to read, but the headline suggests they love Diehard. Also, another article rating all the 2015 models - CR-V EX - very average is what I got from an initial scan. Craig

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Just received the January issue of Cons Reports. Nice article rating batteries which I have yet to read, but the headline suggests they love Diehard.
Ya, it was a great Movie... ha-ha

Doesn’t Wall-Mart sell Diehard Batteries ?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
DieHard is Sears private brand. Walmart sells..

Ya, it was a great Movie... ha-ha

Doesn’t Wall-Mart sell Diehard Batteries ?
The Walmart private brand is EverLast. 500CCA, good warranty, around $100, some on this forum have reported good performance.

BTW, on Honda eStore the Honda Brand, 100-month, 500CCA battery lists for $115, and at my nearest dealer it will be $104.80 if ordered on line. Some dealers are asking $145 which is $115 for the battery and $30 for installation. Sometimes they run specials of $100 with free installation - probably only in summer?

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Walmart private brand is EverLast. 500CCA, good warranty, around $100, some on this forum have reported good performance.

BTW, on Honda eStore the Honda Brand, 100-month, 500CCA battery lists for $115, and at my nearest dealer it will be $104.80 if ordered on line. Some dealers are asking $145 which is $115 for the battery and $30 for installation. Sometimes they run specials of $100 with free installation - probably only in summer?
DU47 is correct - Wally does sell this brand (must be private label) and overall CR, likes them a lot !! They break down their testing into 7 groups and EverStart is very high in each group except the Group 51R which is the OEM group that comes in the CR-V !! There they only show one - Interstate MT 51-R. Couple interesting quotes from the article:
1) "Low-maintenance batteries retain their fluid for the life of the battery ! Caps on these batteries aren't meant to be removed" I've seen several folks on here who pried them off so I mention it just because.
2) "Don't focus too much on CCA claims. Modern cars with f.i. engines controlled by computers take no more than a few seconds to start ! They don't need the highly inflated CCA numbers that manufacturers like to put on the packaging and marketing materials" !

·
Registered
239 Posts
A K-Mart with an auto center likely sells Sears Diehard batteries, as they have the same parent company.

I've had great luck with the Walmart Everstart batteries. I've put them in our Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna & Subaru Outback. Cheap and durable in those respective sizes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts