Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm considering to buy 2017 CR-V EX-L. Read that 2016 model have issues with gasoline smell. Hope new 2017 doesn't have that issue. Just asking owners to confirm.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Please realize that the grand majority of owners experience no issues. "just saying".

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,877 Posts
The worst part about car forums is that there are more negative things posted vs positive. Last year Honda sold over 300K CRV's in the U.S. with a small # of complaints, so I would take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a sensitive sense of smell (get teased about it) and I have never smelled any gasoline odors inside my vehicle, even if idling for an extended time. I don't notice any odd smells outside the vehicle either, but I am not parking it inside a garage. I've read posts complaining about gasoline smells and sulphur-like odors, but never experienced any of this.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The worst part about car forums is that there are more negative things posted vs positive. Last year Honda sold over 300K CRV's in the U.S. with a small # of complaints, so I would take it with a grain of salt.
With all due respect, Coastie, why don't you tell us what that small # is?

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...s-action-filed-unfixed-cr-v-gas-odor-problem/

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016/honda-cr-v-gas-smell-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_bjBndsOBE

Easy to goggle. And the list goes on...........

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi,
I'm considering to buy 2017 CR-V EX-L. Read that 2016 model have issues with gasoline smell. Hope new 2017 doesn't have that issue. Just asking owners to confirm.
The '17, other than the carried-over engine and transmission, is a completely new car vs. the '16.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,877 Posts
So 3 complaints on car complaints.com is really justifying writing off the 2016 or 2015 CRV? In 2016 Honda sold 357,335 CRV's and in 2015 sold 345,647. Some might be experiencing a problem, but with over 700K CRV's sold in 2 years, I still think it's a very small % of people experiencing a problem. Go to any car forum of any make and model and someone is having some sort of problem with their car. I do agree that those experiencing the problem should most definitely get it fixed and Honda does need to own up to it. However, just like you pointed out the problem by providing links, there are people on here with those model years whom are not experiencing any kind of problems and are very happy customers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
^^ You're just in the mood to defend Honda. You don't know how many folks have these problems. You said a small number. So what is it?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Exactly correct Coastie.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,877 Posts
^^ You're just in the mood to defend Honda. You don't know how many folks have these problems. You said a small number. So what is it?
Well like I said, on car complaints there are only 3 complaints in the fuel system section for this. There is a lawsuit, but it only says 1 families name, so I'm not sure how many others have jumped on the lawsuit. However, just like "I'm in the mood to defend Honda" you and a few others are always in the mood to bash Honda. I never said there wasn't a problem, I said a small number compared to the number of vehicles actually sold. Plus, you're real quick to discount those who have no problems whatsoever with their vehicles. 4 in this thread have said they have no problems with theirs. I have also seen you lash out at people when they said their 2015 wasn't vibrating. So, basically if everyone doesn't agree with you we're automatically wrong or liars? If you really don't like Honda or your CRV it's as easy as trading it in a moving on.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dont bother bickering over the number. Only Honda would know the answer and I guarantee they are not willing to share that unless forced to do so.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seems a Pilot has a gas tank that is coming apart...maybe a touch of that going on.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I read the material in those links. I also noted that these things were written by lawyers trying to get people to join in a class action law suit, something they would profit greatly from. In short, the lawyers really play this up as its to their financial advantage to get more people on board to increase their pay checks.

Second, I went to the NTSB site and checked out complaints about 2016 CR-V's. Out of something like 300,000 of these vehicles sold there were ....ready......69 complaints with only a small number of them about fuel smells. And, to make that even more interesting the complaints about the smell had a certain timing to them. Seems there were only two of them until early in 2017 when this "news flash" about all these gas leaking death traps started appearing ( pushed by that law firm that wanted to make a killing from Honda). Since then there have been...hold your breath now....eight more complaints. So I see complaints from something like 16 people (half of them "encouraged" by the new and hope of cashing in perhaps). So, 16 out of 300,000 vehicles. That means that 99.5+% of 2016 CR-V owners have not made a complaint.

The circumstances and the numbers tell the whole story here. Lawyers pushing to make a buck, a very minute number of people with a perceived problem most of them seeming only complaining about this after the hysterical fever whipped up by the lawyers with big dollar signs in their eyes, and people yelling "the sky is falling!" while the vast majority are thinking "What the heck are they talking about?"

·
Registered
311 Posts
No gas smell. Clearly, anyone with any sense that detected gas would go straight to the dealer or mechanic and find out where it was coming from. Same as I would have on any car in any decade.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have shown 1 person with this issue
you quote the same family and lawsuit over and over (still = 1)
If you look at www.carcomplaints.com/ there are 5 cases of people complaining about gas smells in the cabin - this may or may not be a real issue

if you have your windows open and the car is running - you may smell fumes
if you have your windows open and there is fresh gas around (i.e. a gas station, or someone filling a lawn mower....) you may smell gas]

you need A LOT more cases for this to be a "known issue"

·
Registered
118 Posts
btw - 2016 cr-v lx owner
no gas smell (unless filling my tank, or cutting my grass as i have a known leak in my lawn-mower tank)
slight vibrations - (always while my engine is running - i am seriously thinking there is some connection between when i start my engine and that slight vibration i feel coming from my engine compartment - )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts