Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to lift the new V? I frequently drive ruff roads, the AWD is plenty good enough, but I've already bumped the underneath at the back going over pot holes / bumps ect. I've heard about a 2" lift with strut spacers, would anyone recommend these? Also looking for recommendations for wider fenders, my stock V is getting cover in mud / road grime

·
Registered
679 Posts
It really sounds like you bought the wrong car. The CR-V is for occasional drives on unpaved roads but it's far from an off-roader. Just hearing you mention wider fenders is clear evidence that your needs are different Han what the design goals for the car were.

Why do you keep calling it a V?

·
Registered
679 Posts
It really sounds like you bought the wrong car. The CR-V is for occasional drives on unpaved roads but it's far from an off-roader. Just hearing you mention wider fenders is clear evidence that your needs are different Han what the design goals for the car were.

Why do you keep calling it a V?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are many reasons I bought the new crv, price, reliability, comfort being maybe the top ones. By no means am I "off roading", here on the BC coast off roading is a lot different then driving a dirt road. I'm sure some others will be interested in doing a minor lift too, really it does have enough clearance I'd just like maybe 2" more and maybe change the 235's to 245's and mud flaps if possible. Any recommendations would be great.

Freshly, btw that Hyundai is sweet!

·
Registered
679 Posts
There are many reasons I bought the new crv, price, reliability, comfort being maybe the top ones. By no means am I "off roading", here on the BC coast off roading is a lot different then driving a dirt road. I'm sure some others will be interested in doing a minor lift too, really it does have enough clearance I'd just like maybe 2" more and maybe change the 235's to 245's and mud flaps if possible. Any recommendations would be great.

Freshly, btw that Hyundai is sweet!
I see. The bottoming out of the car plus the interest in wider fenders made it sound like you needed something much more heavy duty.

I feel like any lifting of the car will require the swapping of suspension components and you might lose the nice smoothness the car provides over bumps.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Is it possible to lift the new V? I frequently drive ruff roads, the AWD is plenty good enough, but I've already bumped the underneath at the back going over pot holes / bumps ect. I've heard about a 2" lift with strut spacers, would anyone recommend these? Also looking for recommendations for wider fenders, my stock V is getting cover in mud / road grime
Plain and simple, you have the wrong sort of vehicle for this sort of driving. Just because the car has AWD does NOT mean its an "off road" type vehicle. You need something more like a HD 4WD pickup or something that says "Jeep" on it.

If you put on larger diameter tires you will really screw things up. The gearing will be radically changed (too high a ratio) and the computer system will not be able to properly manage the engine and transmission. Also, the suspension is designed for the size of the tires fitted to the car. Changing this really starts raising issues with geometry and how the car steers and tracks. There is a lot more to this than might meet the eye at first glance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not interested in your opinion weather you think my car fits my lifestyle or not, I'm simply asking if anyone knows of a successful way to modify ground clearance on the 2017 crv, I really don't care if anyone thinks it's a bad idea unless they have actual experience with installing and driving a lifted 2017 crv.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well a Google search surprised me, and I found lift kits for up to a 2016, but nothing for a 2017 yet. I'd never thought of a lift for a CRV. I always thought of the AWD being for traction in the snow, but I guess added ground clearance would be nice in snow sometimes.

Living in the south we think of 4wd, and lift kits for off-road and mud, not anywhere you would take a CRV, especially a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a Google search surprised me, and I found lift kits for up to a 2016, but nothing for a 2017 yet. I'd never thought of a lift for a CRV. I always thought of the AWD being for traction in the snow, but I guess added ground clearance would be nice in snow sometimes.

Living in the south we think of 4wd, and lift kits for off-road and mud, not anywhere you would take a CRV, especially a new one.
I found the same thing online, the 2017 crv being a new gen and just recently released, maybe there hasn't been a kit developed yet.

We too got the AWD mainly for the snow and deffenetly don't see our sweet new crv as an off roader, we have quads and a ram 3500 for aggressive stuff, we just think it would be cool to have a bit of a beefier look to the new CRV and some added space underneath for when we happen across the odd larger bump or whatever.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm not interested in your opinion weather you think my car fits my lifestyle or not, I'm simply asking if anyone knows of a successful way to modify ground clearance on the 2017 crv, I really don't care if anyone thinks it's a bad idea unless they have actual experience with installing and driving a lifted 2017 crv.
You are 100% right...its your car to do with as you wish and it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

My opinions are based on 40+ years in the automotive field seeing what these modifications do to a vehicle that was set up very well to begin with by the designers. After being altered it becomes something else. Of course I am sure you know that once you do any change your warranty is ZERO as Honda didn't design it that way and should not be held accountable for a change anyone makes on their vehicle. I had to deal with that issue all too many times when these cars would come back to us with owner's complaints about things now working right or poor handling or tires getting chewed up. That is why I ask the obvious question: If you wanted an off road vehicle why not buy something that was designed to be just that?

Its your dime, do what you want and I honestly wish you the best of luck in doing it. I doubt you will find many people here who have taken that route so far however. You will find many of the older generations modified, but then they are older cars now that can be bought cheap and are long out of warranty so what the heck!

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Not true on Warranty. It's still covered in full unless a dealer can demonstrate that the cause of the failure is directly attributable to the modification(s).

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not true on Warranty. It's still covered in full unless a dealer can demonstrate that the cause of the failure is directly attributable to the modification(s).
Spent over 40 years in the field, seen this before. Go there if you want, its your dime. You can open some big cans of worms when you start modifying your car with such changes. But if you don't worry about that stuff then do it. I just saw too many problems induced by people changing ride heights or with offset wheels and such and when the problems came lets just say some of them left the dealership without smiles on their faces.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm with hans471 on this. and AGAIN most ILLOGICAL thread on this site. Evidently common sense is not a minimum requirement here......... Good luck on that project!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm with hans471 on this. and AGAIN most ILLOGICAL thread on this site. Evidently common sense is not a minimum requirement here......... Good luck on that project!
I'm pretty baffled by the "attitude" so to speak. :confused: All the guy asked is if anybody knows about lifting the V a little. Maybe he likes the look, a little extra capability, a little "juice"! A little lift seems to be a very, very common mod nowadays...;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bigger tires will get you a inch or so. Other then that you might have to wait a bit for aftermarket lift kits. I will wait. If you do post some pictures i would love to see how it went.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts