Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
8,171 Posts
You will get LOTS of different, varying opinions. :rolleyes:

As long as it has been three months since the production date on the driver's pillar sticker, you can use your past favorite product.

If you have ever considered Ceramic Coating (lasts 5 - 7 years) now's the time, as prep work (to remove swirls & scratches) would be minimal. CC costs $400 - $1000 in our area.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yeap DO IT if as he said, been a few months since production date on door sticker.

There is no "best" wax. Where you live, how you put it on and so on matters a lot.

CC is cool but even I would have a hard time choking that down for something that's ruined once winter here hits. If you live in the southern states then might be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
It really comes down to the weather conditions where you live (sun, salt, road grime), paint color, and what you want. If you are looking for a product to protect the paint in semi-harsh conditions than a sealant may be the best bet. If you have a car that spends most of the time in the garage and you want a concours shine then you are likely looking at a softer wax based product or a sealant with layers of wax or gloss on top.

Keep in mind that anytime you apply any type of wax or sealant it's all about how you prep the paint. First step is to strip off the old wax that may be there from the dealer. Even when new I would recommend a find clay bar to remove the junk that can be on the paint due to shipping. A light correcting polish may be required if you have a dark/black car that your dealer may have already added swirl marks due to an abusive washing before you picked up the car. To assess do a through wash and get out a very bright flashlight and take a hard look for swirl marks.

Once the car is clean and clayed then you are ready to lay down whatever type of wax or sealant you prefer. Remember that paint is the key anytime you want to apply a protective coating.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You will get LOTS of different, varying opinions. :rolleyes:

As long as it has been three months since the production date on the driver's pillar sticker, you can use your past favorite product.

If you have ever considered Ceramic Coating (lasts 5 - 7 years) now's the time, as prep work (to remove swirls & scratches) would be minimal. CC costs $400 - $1000 in our area.
Another vote for ceramic coating. Had my ‘17 done and been very happy with it. You do need to maintain it with washing and using a topcoat but it’s like Teflon where dirt, mud, tree sap, bird droppings just come off easily.

If you want wax I would go for the following which I have all used or are using for my parents’, sister’s and brother’s car:

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Today I tried out McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue Si02 coating on my CR-V. This is the first real hand wash since the winter. There’s no buffing required. You just wash and rinse but don’t dry yet. Then you spray each wet panel with the Hydro Blue and rinse it again and then dry. The water just beads right off the paint. I was skeptical at first but it works. Just have to see how long it lasts. The reflection and gloss and shine are incredible.

Look at the mirror-like reflection on the side of the CR-V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
8,171 Posts
Just an alternative opinion .. your vehicle (CRV) is only a tool. Spend the money, time, and attentions on your woman.
LOL, wise advise.

That said, MY woman is used to having vehicles with a well-kept appearance.? The other weekend, we were at our daughter's house, and one of her dogs went 'nutz' on our car and her Jeep. Clawed up the sides of our minivan with scratches trying to jump up, possibly chasing a bird. :mad: ?

I spent about three hours polishing the new defects out of the sides...SIGH

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had Xpel paint protection film installed on the front bumper, full hood and mirrors to prevent stone chips. As for waxing I have used Collinite for years with good results.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm certainly the loner here but I subscribe to the No Maintenance Appearance Package on my buggies. While I frequently hose my vehicles down I very seldom wash them; even less frequently will I wax them. Of course you'll want me to quantify my numbers so (Maybe) I'll use soap and a sponge once a year, paste wax every 2-4 years (funerals).

Exceptions: some dealers will wash them when in for service; my poor Ford dealer chose to powerwash several years of mildow off my former 4 year old truck. It transformed from a mint green to a sparkling white.

Come trade in time there are virtually no swirl marks (from prior cleanings).

·
2,206 Posts
So-called ceramic coatings are bogus, as they do not last any longer than any other type of car wax product. They are made purely from snake oil and are not worth any real expense. As many YouTube videos as there may be out there hawking and promoting and praising them, there are ten times as many debunking them. It is conceivable that a real one is now out there, one that actually lives up to its hype, but good luck finding it.

Any good car wax will do nicely, liquid or paste. Applied gently, it will last from six months to a year, depending on where you live. My old favorite was Slipstream aircraft wax, made back then by Classic Wax in Arlington, Texas. Unfortunately, I ran out, and it is no longer available. But it was great stuff, and the one can lasted me years. I shoulda bought a couple more cans, dangit.

Never, ever use or allow to be used, a buffer, on today's automotive paint. It is only microns thick, and the clearcoats as well. In fact, I recently read that carmakers are starting to switch over to water based paint! No idea if Honda is among them. Nowadays I just use a good brand liquid wax.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Remember to use a "wax" that is rated for use over clear coat. I have never heard of "ceramic coating" car paint. Just use a good quality product and never polish the paint.

·
2,206 Posts
Now I use P21S, which came highly recommended to me by a top notch detailer friend. It's as good as Slipstream and better. Available on Amazon, not cheap but worth every penny.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,171 Posts
Here's our new favorite wax/sealer: I can attest to it's deep shine...we will see how long it lasts.

Here's a comparison video that convinced me to try it:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I never wax cars, I do run them through a car wash every year or so though.

It gives me no joy to wax and detail a vehicle, I’d rather check the oil, brakes, filters, etc.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I hit mine with Meguiar's #26 (High Tech Yellow Wax) as often as I can. With an orbital, it makes quick work of doing the entire vehicle. I can do the Civic in under an hour, including washing. The CR-Vs are more work since I have to use a step to do the roof, and because of the crappy plastic moldings, I have to treat all of those at the same time, so it ultimately takes longer if I do those.

I keep Meguiar's 105 and 205 on hand for paint correction--again, the orbital and a selection of various foam pads makes quick work of touching things up. I rarely need to use the 105 but will do an entire vehicle in 105 and 205 after buying a used one. My kiddo's Accord in Nighthawk Black Pearl was a mess, and 105 got rid of many of the scuffs, scratches and swirls and made it look much better than it did (although the front still had road rash, and there are a few door dings and a couple of major scratches that wouldn't come out).

I'm not sold on ceramic coatings. Someone would have to prove to me they last for several years in the conditions we have where I live, with a lot of road salt in winters. I'll only try it if a company gives me a free sample to do an entire car, and I don't see that happening.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts