Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the CRV for about 3 weeks now, and everytime I open the door to step into the vehicle I notice a strong "new car" odor, which hasn't really dissipated yet. I know that some offgassing from the new materials is to be expected, but I find it to be much stronger than any new car I've purchased previously. I've taken to driving with windows open, even though it's the middle of winter.

Not only is the smell unpleasant, but I'm also concerned about how toxic these chemicals are. One of my passengers actually complained about the new car smell causing a headache.

Is anyone else having a similar experience?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The smell is what is to be expected from a new vehicle, and yes there is a bunch of only God know what kind of new materials are in there.
I live in a warm climate where the smell can be stronger.

What I have tried to do is leave the windows open at night, I crack them like less than a 1/4 of an inch, hopefully the air will vent the smell out.
I also try to vent the floor mats, carpet or all weather. If you smell them directly, they have a very strong odor and so is the cargo area where the spare tire is.

Besides cracking the windows open while driving, I also use the vent system to pull air from outside.

I think I'd read somewhere that Subaru uses material with less odors, less toxic in my opinion.

Hopefully Honda and others car manufactures will try to use less products with that type of strong odors.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I actually noticed that, I happen to really like the smell though. The best solution is that posted above, cracking the windows a little bit at night and using the vent system to not circulate outside air.

·
Registered
42 Posts
*drools* new car smells are the best!!!! (not joking, I love that smell).

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is the worst! New car smells have always caused headaches for me. We always had two brand new cars and my dad would keep them two years at most. I tell him
I've spent half my life in car dealerships as he was working up a new purchase. I dreaded knowing how sick I would be for weeks. I was cracking my windows while driving and keeping them down at night (garage kept) nothing worked! I went to Bath and Body and bought a vanilla car scent and clipped it on my visor and by morning the smell was gone. Bath and Body worked a lot better than the standard store bought ones. I may still be dying for the fumes but at least I won't be aware��.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Good advice. Especially if you park under cover and can crack open the windows or sunroof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
VOC. Bad stuff. Good idea to ventilate overnight if possible. If you haven't driven it for a while, open the windows for a minute when first driving off to get rid of concentrated buildup, then keep them cracked or pop up the moonroof a crack. Try not to use the HVAC in recirculate mode for long distances either. Most of the VOC should gas off after a month or two.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The 'new car smell' must be a patented additive that Honda adds to the interior before shipment to dealers. It is addictive and nearly intoxicating to put potential customers into a purchasing frame of mind. It also has after effects of feelings of intense satisfaction. While some people have some issues with the smell most people are effectively seduced. I am hooked on the stuff! I should look for an antidote but love it so much I can't. Honda has the best effect on me!

Now, if you really want the remedy for clearing out the odor take a drive on rural highways and get lucky running over a skunk. Sometimes you will have to repeat several times for complete smell removal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The new car smell could be stronger on models with leather interior, however, I've not noticed it to be strong in any of the 2017's that I test drove. In fact, I thought the new car smell was fairly weak compared to some of the other new vehicles I've driven. My wife and I are both sensitive to various strong odors, soaps & perfumes being some of the worst. I guess new car smell just isn't one of them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The 'new car smell' must be a patented additive that Honda adds to the interior before shipment to dealers. It is addictive and nearly intoxicating to put potential customers into a purchasing frame of mind. It also has after effects of feelings of intense satisfaction. While some people have some issues with the smell most people are effectively seduced. I am hooked on the stuff! I should look for an antidote but love it so much I can't. Honda has the best effect on me!

Now, if you really want the remedy for clearing out the odor take a drive on rural highways and get lucky running over a skunk. Sometimes you will have to repeat several times for complete smell removal.
Is this true? If so it works on me. I would love to buy a bottle of it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Since I like the smell, I have never tried to get rid of it but I have gotten rid of many other odors over the years with a few charcoal briquettes under the seat and/or an open box of baking soda in a cupholder or pocket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I added a car freshener that uses essential oils. Wonderful scent of new car + lemon and lavender. Heaven. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts