Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bought a '20 EX a couple weeks ago and have been scanning through posts in here and videos online. I came across a channel called Sweet Project Cars that has 290k subscribers and is going through a video series on things you should do in the first few weeks of buying a new car. One recommendation they made is changing the oil filter within the first 500 miles, as a lot of engine wear is done in the first 2500-3000 miles.

Is that a good recommendation? Any other tips for a new CR-V owner?

Thanks in advance!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,219 Posts
One recommendation they made is changing the oil filter within the first 500 miles, as a lot of engine wear is done in the first 2500-3000 miles.
With a recommendation/advice like that, who needs enemies!

Sorry, but thats a load of utter bollocks. This is a Honda CR-V, not a Subaru Impreza which has a crappier and more sensitive engine - and one that actually needs an oil change that soon.

Gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,623 Posts
It is an old and outdated recommendation, from a bygone era in motor vehicles.

Honda actually prefers you NOT change the factory oil and filter early. Reason: the initial oil at the factory assembly has some additional additives to help the new engine break-in in an optimal manner. And if you were to run an oil analysis on factory oil when the MM tells you to change it, you would find virtually no signs of any wear components in the oil. There are plenty of Blackstone oil analysis reports shared on this forum that substantiate this fact.

And please note: more frequent oil changes actually can induce more wear to the internals of the engine, because of the chemical additives in these modern oils that actually have a modest chemical scubbing effect (it is actually called tribochemical erosion), which is why it is best to let the MM tell you when to change the oil and filter. Will an early oil change now and then harm the engine? no... but why inject more wear into the internals than is needed.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With a recommendation/advice like that, who needs enemies!

Sorry, but thats a load of utter bollocks. This is a Honda CR-V, not a Subaru Impreza which has a crappier and more sensitive engine - and one that actually needs an oil change that soon.

Gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
To be fair, they're speaking of new cars in general, not specifically CR-V's.

But I'll take that as 1 no :)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,219 Posts
To be fair, they're speaking of new cars in general, not specifically CR-V's.

But I'll take that as 1 no :)
But you posted it on a CR-V forum? So my reference is naturally based on that of CR-Vs. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Either way, that advice or recommendation is stupid. A great reason NOT to view that stupid YouTube channel that clearly hasnt the foggiest clue about car maintenance and instead spouts out word-salad to any moron that'll lap it up as sacrosanct.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But you posted it on a CR-V forum? So my reference is naturally based on that of CR-Vs. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Either way, that advice or recommendation is stupid. A great reason NOT to view that stupid YouTube channel that clearly hasnt the foggiest clue about car maintenance and instead spouts out word-salad to any moron that'll lap it up as sacrosanct.
Heard ya loud and clear both times now. So, any recommendations or tips for a new CR-V owner to do in the first few weeks?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,219 Posts
Heard ya loud and clear both times now. So, any recommendations or tips for a new CR-V owner to do in the first few weeks?
Yes.

Enjoy your car, drive it and stay off crap YouTube car channels that disseminate nonsense. ?

Oh, and read your handbook re servicing/maintenance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi all,

Bought a '20 EX a couple weeks ago and have been scanning through posts in here and videos online. I came across a channel called Sweet Project Cars that has 290k subscribers and is going through a video series on things you should do in the first few weeks of buying a new car. One recommendation they made is changing the oil filter within the first 500 miles, as a lot of engine wear is done in the first 2500-3000 miles.

Is that a good recommendation? Any other tips for a new CR-V owner?

Thanks in advance!
Definately read the online Honda car and navigation manuals a few times! These contain more info than the one included with the car. My CRV replaces a 2005 Nissan XTrail and my second vehicle is a 2004 Acura TSX and man there is so much technology now in these cars and you need to read to take full advantage.
please ignore that utube link unless you plan to rebuild a classic car, just follow the CRV maintenance minder. This forum is great but I do believe the 2020 models will be free of many of the problems that came out in 2017 when generation 5 was introduced.

·
Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
184 Posts
Stay off the internet and READ the OWNER’S MANUAL! How many of the “.... malfunction” posts on this board are just folks not understanding how their vehicle works? We’ve got a 2018 EX-L, and back when we got it, you had to send for the “full” manual, and if that’s still the case, do it! This is probably the smartest vehicle you’ve ever owned! You are wasting money if you don’t understand how it works!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I downloaded the full manual and I did read it and looked at this forum while waiting for my car to arrive
And as ftthird says it is the smartest vehicle I have ever owned
But sometimes we all need a little bit of help
And that is what forums are good for

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Avoid hard braking during the first 500 city/1000 highway miles. That's the only thing.

Enjoy the new car, learn all controls and features, it's so much fun.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V EX AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all. Spent 10+ hours reading the manual, tweaking settings in my driveway, and reading this forum but appreciate the advice from everyone. Loved every minute of driving it so far.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
414 Posts
If you've not done so already get a set of mudflaps fitted. Couldn't believe the amount of muck thrown up by the front wheels which ended up inside the lower edge of the front doors.

Got a set off e bay for £15 which are identical to the Honda OEM flaps whilst I waited for a set from Weathertech. The OEMs are OK but Weathertechs are superior and hardly any muck finds it way inside the door.

Fitting of either set is easily done by anyone with basic DIY skills so don't pay a dealer.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,219 Posts
If you've not done so already get a set of mudflats fitted. Couldn't believe the amount of muck thrown up by the front wheels which ended up inside the lower edge of the front doors.

Got a set off e bay for £15 which are identical to the Honda OEM flaps whilst I waited for a set from Weathertech. The OEMs are OK but Weathertechs are superior and hardly any muck finds it way inside the door.

Fitting of either set is easily done by anyone with basic DIY skills so don't pay a dealer.
Thats one of the drawbacks for having the AeroPack - the OEM mudflaps are not compatible and do not fit. Grrr.

Been searching high and low for some compatible muflaps to vo avail....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Williamsji is correct. DO NOT change out the oil in a new Honda until MM indicates. Factory installed oil contains special additives for critical engine part break-in. Once the break-in oil is out use a high quality FULL synthetic oil. It is superior to "dino oil." However, full synthetic oil is NOT recommended for use in a much order cars having been run on dino oil all it's years. Full synthetic oil contains chemical cleaning agents that can actually eat away at engine gaskets causing various leaks. yup........Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge Professional are two examples of good quality synthetics and I am sure there are others as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another suggestion if you have navigation. Read the bit about how to update the system and do it if it doesn't tell you that you already have the latest. Also, although it will tell you that the update can take up to an hour, during which you have to keep the engine running, in practice (US model 2018 Touring) it takes more like 12-15 minutes. So prepare the USB stick, and the next time you have to take a 20-30 minute drive, do the final update step. You have to keep the engine running, as it says, but nobody says you have to be stationary. I have done it twice now.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,219 Posts
I would emphasize the owner's manual recommendation to not drive overly spirited with a cold engine. Not good for various parts, especially the turbo.
That should be common sense.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts