Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotty Kimler (the famous youtuber) says new Chinese starters are better than any remanufactured ones.

But my mechanic flat out refused to install a cheap starter I found online (TYC, about $100) and wants to install a DENSO one for $350 plus labor.

He says bad parts could fry the computer, and in California, he'd be responsible.

Who's right: the youtuber or my mechanic (who has lots of excellent reviews on Yelp, but to be honest, I don't trust Yelp reviews, as my former dentist has excellent reviews too, but he's friendly but incompetent)?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
I've been 'burned' more than once by parts store starters and alternators. Now, I bring those parts to a local auto electric rebuilder who knows his stuff. My last Denso alternator rebuild (from a Dodge believe it or not) cost me ~$100 USD, and that included a new over-running drive clutch/pulley.

You could try and find a Denso starter on eBay or Amazon, but watch out for counterfeits.

Now that you remind me, I've been burned by parts store clutch hydraulics, too. :mad: :mad: :mad: There is nothing as good as OEM (if you can afford it).

EDIT: Looked at Rock Auto, the TYC starters don't have a 'favorite' 🧡 at $110. And reman'd Densos are ~$273 USD.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Scotty Kimler (the famous youtuber) says new Chinese starters are better than any remanufactured ones.

But my mechanic flat out refused to install a cheap starter I found online (TYC, about $100) and wants to install a DENSO one for $350 plus labor.

He says bad parts could fry the computer, and in California, he'd be responsible.

Who's right: the youtuber or my mechanic (who has lots of excellent reviews on Yelp, but to be honest, I don't trust Yelp reviews, as my former dentist has excellent reviews too, but he's friendly but incompetent)?
Your mechanic is right.

The inherant problem with parts made in China is that there is an entire industry in China that specializes in counterfeits and factory seconds (and it hurts legitamate suppliers inside China). So.. unless you know for sure you are buying from and will receive an actual first line part from a Chinese source... you are more then likely going to get shafted on this.

Note: I am not knocking known Chinese manufacturers.. as they are in fact top notch in most cases.... it is the counterfeiters and factory seconds from sourcing inside China that is the actual issue, and it can be hard to differentiate what exactly the seller is selling you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDIT: Looked at Rock Auto, the TYC starters don't have a 'favorite' 🧡 at $110. And reman'd Densos are ~$273 USD.
$137, excluding the core charge.

He actually said "New Denso starter", but I'm assuming he meant remanufactured, because I didn't see any actual new denso starters anywhere.

Either he was trying to confuse things by calling it "new", or actual new denso starters exist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your mechanic is right.

The inherant problem with parts made in China is that there is an entire industry in China that specializes in counterfeits and factory seconds (and it hurts legitamate suppliers inside China). So.. unless you know for sure you are buying from and will receive an actual first line part from a Chinese source... you are more then likely going to get shafted on this.

Note: I am not knocking known Chinese manufacturers.. as they are in fact top notch in most cases.... it is the counterfeiters and factory seconds from sourcing inside China that is the actual issue, and it can be hard to differentiate what exactly the seller is selling you.
I was actually showing him the 1A Auto Parts page (that doesn't even mention the brand), but I later found others that sell TYC for $100, so they are probably the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
TYC made their name with replacement tail lights etc.

For parts like alternators, starters etc, I'd rather buy new at a local store etc so returns are easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either he was trying to confuse things by calling it "new", or actual new denso starters exist.
Now that I'm recalling the conversation, I specifically asked him if it was "remanufactured" and he said it was "new". Can a denso starter be "new" as in not "remanufactured"?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I figured it out:

I was using the term "rebuilt" to mean anything that includes used parts (perhaps incorrectly)

While he was using the term "brand new" to mean "remanufactured to OEM standards".

I feel like this is misleading.

And on top of that $350 >> $137 (same part number). I wonder if it's legal for a mechanic to charge $X for parts, while paying a lot less for them.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
And on top of that $350 >> $137 (same part number). I wonder if it's legal for a mechanic to charge $X for parts, while paying a lot less for them.
That's how repair shops make their money. Most of the labor costs are paid out to the mechanics, either through wages (base wage, and the shop's portion of SS and Medicare taxes) or benefits if offered (insurance, etc.). It's no less legal than auto parts stores charging more than their cost for the parts on their shelf--buy at wholesale, sell at retail. That's why, when I had my tires changed at my favorite shop last time, I bought Denso sensors and supplied them myself. 😉 Rock Auto and Amazon both had a low price and then I also knew which brand sensors I would have.

That is $273 before the core charge is refunded. Subtract about $6 for the return shipping charge (use Rock Auto's label generator to take advantage of their substantial shipping discount). I would take a rebuilt name brand over some generic "random-three-letter-named" chinesium parts...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only ones that have 🧡 are "new" ones: REMY and ULTRA-POWER. Is this a good indicator that they tend to be better?
rock_auto.png

I wish I knew about Rock Auto before going to the mechanic. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's how repair shops make their money.
I guess this explains my mechanics refusal to use the $115 part. He didn't even see the brand before saying "no, they have 30% failure rate".

Is it pointless trying to find a mechanic that will install parts you bring to the shop?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
Is it pointless trying to find a mechanic that will install parts you bring to the shop?
You should agree that if the part fails, his labor for the further repair will be compensated. (In other words, you would pay for the removal of the bad part & replacement .)

Now, if HE supplies the part and it fails within a few months, the shop should replace it at no cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts

well, Chinese parts are not all created equal, there are poor ones and great ones....on the other hand a starter is a very simple thing to reman so I would trust most of them.
There are 2 youtube "Mechanics" that I'm highly dubious of...Scotty is one of them, look elsewhere for your advice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts