Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...just picked up a 2002 CR-V and looking for some help/guidance on getting it back on the road. It currently has 180K miles and bought with known issues (bought it pretty cheap). The previous owner overheated the engine. He took it to a repair shop to have it checked out and that shop said that it had a blown head gasket. They recommended a replacement engine. Instead of investing money into it, he sold it for cheap.

Over the holiday weekend, I started to remove the head and just got the intake manifold off when I started to think about the direction I should go (have the head inspected/rebuilt and install a new head gasket or find a low mileage engine and drop that in). It appears that there is no more coolant in it at all and not sure how long it ran without coolant. As I was removing components off the head that should have coolant, they didn't (throttle body, radiator, upper radiator hose). I honestly don't think there is a drop in it. I also noticed that the engine oil was barely registering on the dipstick. No clue how long it ran this way or if this was result of the overheated engine and maybe has more issues than a head gasket. My thought now is to pull the motor and replace with one I found locally (found one with 112K miles for under $1K). Looking for some input if this seems like the way to go or for that matter, any other thoughts. I was also looking at the JDM engines available through Ebay. What is the consensus of those? Looking for some guidance as this is my first Honda (lifelong Toyota and VW Fan).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If memory serves, the JDM engines lack a sensor (or sensors?) that are on the US engines, so you'd have to deal with that.

The best match would be a US K24 out of a 2002, 2003, or 2004 CR-V since everything would be the same. There were some changes with the 2005-2006 CR-V engines, even though they are still a K24 engine.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I agree with Racoon get a USDM engine it'll save you a lot of headache. The 05-06 are throttle by wire but has the same k24 engine.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I checked the Engine Control Units and found three different versions.
One was for 2002 and 2003 CR-Vs, one was just for 2004s, and the third was for 2005 and 2006 CR-Vs.
I have no idea what the differences are, but I think I'd stick with a 2002 or 2003 engine.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,798 Posts
Agree with the others, buy a used engine from a 2002 - 2003. You might be able to use an Element engine, too. Check under the valve cover on any engine you plan to purchase, look for worn/damaged cam lobes.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...thanks for the recommendations. I went ahead and bought the engine with 112K miles. Hope to have it next week sometime.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No pics yet, but spent some time this weekend getting it ready to pull. Cant find the hoisting locations one engine and cx tranny. Anyone know where they should be?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You can get any crv engine from 2002-2006 to replace yours with. Sorry there is a bunch of guys replying that are missing something's. I would have jumped in sooner had I seen the thread.

It isn't a lot of headaches either. Anytime you swap an engine you should only be swapping the head/block assembly. All manifolds, mounts, sensors etc should be used from the old engine, installing new gaskets as needed.

2002-2006 used the K24A1 engine, only changes were minimal like the throttle body.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, a few updates. Got the old motor pulled. Wasn't horrible. Picked up the new/used engine and started to prep it for install (new water pump, thermostat, tensioner pulley). Pulled the exhaust manifold and found a lot of oil in number 4 exhaust side. Looks like the valve stem seals or the rings in number 4 are bad. Going to remove the head tomorrow and see what is next. Took pics and will post as soon as I can.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I hope it's just the valve seals. Also check for valve stem guides for wear. Be sure you use the highest quality of valve seals you can find to prevent future problem. While the engine is out also adjust the valve lash. Good Luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Head is off. All piston tops look identical. Don't think I have leaky rings. I am using Alldata to disassemble/assemble and there is no oil pan gasket called out, just sealant. Rockauto offers an oil pan gasket. I'm confused???

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
OEM valve guides are good quality. If you are going to send the head to a machine shop they would have a recommendation of what brand to buy or they will have an in house brand they will supply. Alldata is correct these engines come from the factory using a silicone sealant in tube to seal the pan. If Rockauto is offering one, I would recommend to get it as the gasket will less likely leak, but the sealant in a tube won't hold that long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am ordering the fel-pro gasket set which includes the seals. Should good to go. Just need to track down guides.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts