Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

New CRV 2023 - Lane Departure Warning randomly appearing and wobbles

2414 Views 37 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  TheDarkKnight
Just purchased a new CRV EX-L 2023 - Less than 200 miles driven. The Lane departure waring is appearing randomly and the car wobbles when the warning is shown. Is there a serious problem in the car?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
Just purchased a new CRV EX-L 2023 - Less than 200 miles driven. The Lane departure waring is appearing randomly and the car wobbles when the warning is shown. Is there a serious problem in the car?
I’m not sure what you mean by “randomly appears”, it should activate when it senses you are approaching the edge of the road. If the shaking you are referring to is the steering wheel, that’s the physical warning to alert you to the lane departure. You can change it in settings or just disable lane departure. Try consulting your user manual.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Please complete your profile with vehicle details. Saves you repeating it.

Also, defer to your manual re the LDW settings. Have you read the manual/checked the settings? I suspect not. Just as I suspect there is no problem with the car itself.

I doubt the car wobbles - more like the minor tug of the steering wheel to alert the driver.

Reactions: Jo.Woodburn

· Registered
CRV EX-L 2023
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not sure what you mean by “randomly appears”, it should activate when it senses you are approaching the edge of the road. If the shaking you are referring to is the steering wheel, that’s the physical warning to alert you to the lane departure. You can change it in settings or just disable lane departure. Try consulting your user manual.
Thanks. Will check the manual and settings. I think it is happening when driving over patches on the road.

Are you switching lanes without using your turn signal?
No . Driving straight

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
I think it is happening when driving over patches on the road.
If its any consolation, this happens on my old mans new HR-V Hybrid too.

The system is very sensitive and any undulations in the road surface trigger LDW. Change the sensitivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lamapaga

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
Thanks. Will check the manual and settings. I think it is happening when driving over patches on the road.

No . Driving straight
I just disable mine. This is one safety feature I find to be more annoying than useful. Love Lane Keep Assist with the ACC, but can definitely live without lane departure warning.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
Clearly you have not cracked open that owners manual yet, or only skimmed it. :)

I'm guessing you are changing lanes on lined roads without your turn signal on. Many people do and don't even realize it. OR... you tend to hug one line or the other while driving... as that can do it as well. It can also be triggered by odd surface or faintly paved over lines, etc... because this system relies on the front facing camera.. and follows a "what it sees, it reacts to" approach. If the camera thinks it sees a line, and thinks the vehicle may cross said line.. it will alert.

If so.. everything you are experiencing is normal. If not, then take it your dealer and demonstrate the issue and ask them to evaluate it.

Note: Steering wobble is the vehicles way of alerting you that it believes it is steering out of marked lanes.

You can turn this feature off I believe, but why would you.... it is a safety feature. Still.. you have that option.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
Clearly you have not cracked open that owners manual yet, or only skimmed it. :)

I'm guessing you are changing lanes on lined roads without your turn signal on. Many people do and don't even realize it. OR... you tend to hug one line or the other while driving... as that can do it as well. It can also be triggered by odd surface or faintly paved over lines, etc... because this system relies on the front facing camera.. and follows a "what it sees, it reacts to" approach. If the camera thinks it sees a line, and thinks the vehicle may cross said line.. it will alert.

If so.. everything you are experiencing is normal. If not, then take it your dealer and demonstrate the issue and ask them to evaluate it.

Note: Steering wobble is the vehicles way of alerting you that it believes it is steering out of marked lanes.

You can turn this feature off I believe, but why would you.... it is a safety feature. Still.. you have that option.
I had an 2022 HRV, that was horribly destroyed on the highway last month. The tar they put down on cracks seems to set it off. It really hated construction. Oh and there was a section of 270 where they put the rumble strips inside the white lines and it saw that as the edge of the lane.

I am curious if anyone else noticed it going off when people are drifting into your lane.

Oh, off topic, anyone who thinks an HRV, as I did, is just a smaller CRV, they are not. So glad I have my CRV ordered to replace it.

· Registered
2023 CR-V EX AWD
4 Posts
I just disable mine. This is one safety feature I find to be more annoying than useful. Love Lane Keep Assist with the ACC, but can definitely live without lane departure warning.
I have to physically turn on LKA every time I start the car up with the button on the steering wheel. Should this be on by default or do I just need to change something in the settings? LKA is already checked in my settings though🤔

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
I have to physically turn on LKA every time I start the car up with the button on the steering wheel. Should this be on by default or do I just need to change something in the settings? LKA is already checked in my settings though🤔
LKA has to be activated when you want to use it. Just like ACC.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
Is there a way to turn off the lane departure warning or at least turn off the steering wheel shake?
Yes. There are two systems, Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) and Lane Keep Assist (LKAS). Both can be turned on/off and type of warning selected. See your manual for detail. If you haven’t already done so, download the full pdf manual from the Honda Owners website, it’s easier to search.

· Registered
2023 CRV Hybrid Sport Touring
8 Posts
Yes. There are two systems, Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) and Lane Keep Assist (LKAS). Both can be turned on/off and type of warning selected. See your manual for detail. If you haven’t already done so, download the full pdf manual from the Honda Owners website, it’s easier to search.
I've downloaded the manual and read it and if you can direct me to what page in there that tells how to turn off Lane Departure, I would appreciate it. Or just how to turn off the steering wheel function? The lane departure comes on with LKAS turned off and RDM turned off. Also, this is for a 2023 CRV Hybrid Sport Touring, there is lots of info on 2022 and back but not much on the new models.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
I've downloaded the manual and read it and if you can direct me to what page in there that tells how to turn off Lane Departure, I would appreciate it. Or just how to turn off the steering wheel function? The lane departure comes on with LKAS turned off and RDM turned off. Also, this is for a 2023 CRV Hybrid Sport Touring, there is lots of info on 2022 and back but not much on the new models.
On my 2020 LKAS is turned on and off via a button on the steering wheel. RDM is turned off via a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The 700 page user manual for your car says that RDM is turned on/off via the driver information interface and LKAS is still a button on the steering wheel.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
Keep in mind, LDW (lane departure warning) is a separate HondaSensing feature from RDM and LKAS.

Most of us do not own gen6 CRVs. As someone who does, I encourage you to read through the manual and then report back what you found..... to aid other gen6 owners in the future.

It is possible that some options within the latest generation of HondaSensing (which for CRVs comes with model year 2023) may have different controls for selecting features. If so, it is what it is, as Honda will often lock out the ability to turn off systems it feels are essential to safe driving.

LKAS must be enabled at each engine start, for safety reasons, as it is an active steering feature within HondaSensing. RDM is slightly different in that it only becomes active if it detects the vehicle wandering off the road. LDW is simply a warning system that for whatever reason the vehicle appears to be riding on a marked line in the road, or crossing over it. It's purpose is to alert the driver to corrrect steering, and that really should never be turned off so it would not surprise me if Honda does not allow that. Again.. as one of the few gen6 owners posting so far, how about you figure the nuance out here and report back for the benefit of others.

· Registered
2023 CRV Hybrid Sport Touring
8 Posts
On my 2020 LKAS is turned on and off via a button on the steering wheel. RDM is turned off via a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. The 700 page user manual for your car says that RDM is turned on/off via the driver information interface and LKAS is still a button on the steering wheel.

Yes, I can turn off LKAS on the steering wheel and RDM via the interface but it doesn't turn off Lane Departure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.