Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at an event this weekend and my son and I were getting in and out of the car , he had his cell phone plugged in etc... When it was time to leave battery was dead!! We drove 1.5 hours to the event so battery had to be strong when we stopped. CRV has 1800 miles and outside temp was 65F. So FYI and beware - the tiny battery dies quickly. Cant imagine what I am in for this winter when temps go below zero as they often do here.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You should take it in and have it tested. There are a few people experiencing battery failures with their '19 CR-V's, search the forum. You have a warranty, so it would be a good idea to take care of the issue before you get stranded in the cold.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
Well this is my solution to a dead battery. 100 minute one Lol you can always store battery booster in the car as back up what I dine years ago. now My testing goes to see how long I can go without a start.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
.........So FYI and beware - the tiny battery dies quickly...........
Any size battery can die quickly. As stated, it's a warranty item, have it checked. Honda does not make the battery in the V.

Motorcycle and lawn equipment batteries are a lot smaller than the battery in the CRV and can last for years, I know, have both...........or they can die quickly due to something be faulty.

99% of our V driving is short trips around town (12K miles, 25 months, battery is fine)......with our kind of driving, I suspect the battery is seldom fully charged. If it goes bad today, I'm not blaming Honda.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,897 Posts
Was at an event this weekend and my son and I were getting in and out of the car , he had his cell phone plugged in etc... When it was time to leave battery was dead!! We drove 1.5 hours to the event so battery had to be strong when we stopped. CRV has 1800 miles and outside temp was 65F. So FYI and beware - the tiny battery dies quickly. Cant imagine what I am in for this winter when temps go below zero as they often do here.
From your description.. I see two possibilities here:

1) somebody left the vehicle in assessory mode, or left a door cracked open or something that caused the CRV to not fully power down. I say this because you specifically stated that your son had his cell phone plugged in. In point of fact.. if he was drawing power to his cell phone, or was linked to the entertainment system... then there is no way the vehicle was powered down and in low power mode. [You cannot charge a cell phone or interact with the CRV with it as long as the vehicle is powered down]. As such.... the vehicle would be drawing several amps of power from the battery, which means you have at most 90 minutes on a fully charged battery before it is completely depleted, and probably only 60 minutes before it lacks the power to start the vehicle. This is not unique to Hondas in any way... it is common with newer vehicles, so let's not blame Honda here.

2) You did in fact have your vehicle powered down, but that there is a parasitic drain somewhere that is abnormal. This can and should be checked and verified by a Honda Dealer to preclude any system failure in your vehicle that is preventing proper power down. This is a straight foward warranty issue.

It is of course possible that you simply have a defective battery in your new CRV. It does happen, and again... this is a straight forward thing for a dealer to test and evaluate and if needed, replace the battery under warranty.

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
195 Posts

Perfect merge of threads!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any size battery can die quickly. As stated, it's a warranty item, have it checked. Honda does not make the battery in the V.

Motorcycle and lawn equipment batteries are a lot smaller than the battery in the CRV and can last for years, I know, have both...........or they can die quickly due to something be faulty.

99% of our V driving is short trips around town (12K miles, 25 months, battery is fine)......with our kind of driving, I suspect the battery is seldom fully charged. If it goes bad today, I'm not blaming Honda.
Honda did design the system and source the battery. They are in full control of what, when and how their system is powered. That being said, this is not unique to Honda. I'll opt for a maintenance free battery with a much larger reserve when the time comes for a new one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
From your description.. I see two possibilities here:

1) somebody left the vehicle in assessory mode, or left a door cracked open or something that caused the CRV to not fully power down. I say this because you specifically stated that your son had his cell phone plugged in. In point of fact.. if he was drawing power to his cell phone, or was linked to the entertainment system... then there is no way the vehicle was powered down and in low power mode. [You cannot charge a cell phone or interact with the CRV with it as long as the vehicle is powered down]. As such.... the vehicle would be drawing several amps of power from the battery, which means you have at most 90 minutes on a fully charged battery before it is completely depleted, and probably only 60 minutes before it lacks the power to start the vehicle. This is not unique to Hondas in any way... it is common with newer vehicles, so let's not blame Honda here.

2) You did in fact have your vehicle powered down, but that there is a parasitic drain somewhere that is abnormal. This can and should be checked and verified by a Honda Dealer to preclude any system failure in your vehicle that is preventing proper power down. This is a straight foward warranty issue.

It is of course possible that you simply have a defective battery in your new CRV. It does happen, and again... this is a straight forward thing for a dealer to test and evaluate and if needed, replace the battery under warranty.
The V does have an automatic power off in Accessory mode. However, doesn't work if left in Ignition mode. From the Owner's manual:

If you leave the vehicle for 30 to 60 minutes with the shift lever in "P" and the power
mode in ACCESSORY, the vehicle automatically goes into the mode similar to
VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) to avoid the battery drain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer a few weeks ago getting some scheduled service done on our ‘17.

I decided to inquire about a cargo mat at the parts counter, so I proceed to ask the parts guys if the OEM cargo mat will fit under the cargo floor when in the “upper” position. He didn’t know, so we went to the showroom floor to try it out on a shiny new ‘19 touring. He tries to open the lift gate and it won’t open. He said, “Oh yeah, we disconnect the batteries in the showroom”. So he goes to look under the hood and the battery is still connected and DEAD. He and two other salesmen stood there scratching their heads trying to figure out how that could have happened.

My point is, just because it’s new does not mean that the battery hasn’t sat in a discharged state for an extended period of time before you took possession. This takes a toll on any battery, regardless of size.

Just a possibility to consider. As others have suggested, get the battery tested and let Honda take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
I been trying to figure out the issue I have. I am to lazy to pop off the ground again of the bat and touch the ohms meter one to the neg terminal, the other the grounding of the car. and checking the Amps. the reading should be if remember like .2-50 ohms. it it is high then there is a draw. and that is what is causing my issue. and only way to find that issue is POP POP POP fuses out. .

I can rule that out as the 18 month battery hit its Life its 3 years old. the Panasonics we used to have lasted 8 years when they were 4 years old.

so what can one do start troubleshooting if you have no clue good luck

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Huh; I can't say I ever thought of just measuring the voltage drop across the fuses before. That's a really good way of testing that is, indeed, much less of a pain than using current clamps or... shudder... the amps function on a multimeter.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
Tray.. yep that looks great to do check the draw through the fuse also find out a bad fuse. great shortcut all those years I forgot about that. Lol. Siw.. I think the one that you mention through around the cable to test the draw is also the better way.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The V does have an automatic power off in Accessory mode. However, doesn't work if left in Ignition mode. From the Owner's manual:

If you leave the vehicle for 30 to 60 minutes with the shift lever in "P" and the power
mode in ACCESSORY, the vehicle automatically goes into the mode similar to
VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) to avoid the battery drain.
Agreed.

Thing is.. 60 minutes in assessory mode and the battery will be notably depleted. If it had a full charge when the engine was turned off, probably no problem.. but if it was sitting more like 75% charged (common when the engine is in low charge mode when turned off.. it could in fact result in a depleted battery (at least so depleted as to be unable to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer a few weeks ago getting some scheduled service done on our ‘17.

I decided to inquire about a cargo mat at the parts counter, so I proceed to ask the parts guys if the OEM cargo mat will fit under the cargo floor when in the “upper” position. He didn’t know, so we went to the showroom floor to try it out on a shiny new ‘19 touring. He tries to open the lift gate and it won’t open. He said, “Oh yeah, we disconnect the batteries in the showroom”. So he goes to look under the hood and the battery is still connected and DEAD. He and two other salesmen stood there scratching their heads trying to figure out how that could have happened.
These salesmen really should know by now that the stock battery has a charge life of ~35 days, at most, before it is dead from the normal low level parasitic drain of ~35ma. Which is why I can see a dealer disconnecting the batteries on their vehicles that are actually on their showroom floor, since they may sit there for months before being rotated out onto the lot for sale.

Now.. with this specific example in mind... that battery was likely fully discharged.. which means they need to replace it with a new one, because of they simply recharge it, it may very well already have discharged induced damage to it that will shorten it's remaining life for whoever buys the vehicle. Unlike deep cycle marine batteries, motor vehicle batteries do not do well when fully discharged and then recharged.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
well I gave that a shot and you can see one has some draw, but my issue is an old bat Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honda did design the system and source the battery. They are in full control of what, when and how their system is powered. That being said, this is not unique to Honda. I'll opt for a maintenance free battery with a much larger reserve when the time comes for a new one.
Original poster here - I am not suggesting Honda is at fault of designing a poor system.... rather I am warning users that not a lot of reserve power for accessories - the same behavior/conditions in my other car WOULD NOT result in a dead battery. The CRV batters does look rather small - but not sure looks mean much in 2019 vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
if you read the battery the power is 100 minutes tops

·
Registered
161 Posts
your cell phone is not what caused your battery to die. Also driving 150 miles does not insure a fully charged battery with modern alternator schemes. The 150 miles would have to be at the optimum RPM.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.