Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Feb 1 2018

Yes .. I'm from Winnipeg and my family has 2 2017 CRV's Touring edition.

Both cars are having severe problems with "no or minimal heat" within the cabin problems this whole winter --- on the cold (-15 C to -45 C) winter days. Both cars have same issue and it is completely unacceptable; HONDA CANADA say "we're working on it" and from 2 of the Honda dealerships in Winnipeg, both have said the problems are serious, but there is no solution yet. All the band aid solutions (try command starting car for 10-20 minutes before driving, put heat blower on low setting, do not put heater temperature on hi until car warms up ... it never does on cold days ... blah,blah, blah). Even the front window won't defrost properly on one of the cars. Both cars also have the oil being contaminated with gas and water vapour entering into the oil which is why the oil level on the dipstick is always way above the "full" mark ... terrible!!

Anyone else having these problems? Dealers say they are getting "lots" of these new 2017 and 2018 cars coming into their service shops with unhappy customers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Feb 1 2018

Both cars are having severe problems with "no or minimal heat" within the cabin problems this whole winter --- on the cold (-15 C to -45 C) winter days. Both cars have same issue and it is completely unacceptable; HONDA CANADA say "we're working on it" and from 2 of the Honda dealerships in Winnipeg, both have said the problems are serious, but there is no solution yet. All the band aid solutions (try command starting car for 10-20 minutes before driving, put heat blower on low setting, do not put heater temperature on hi until car warms up ... it never does on cold days ... blah,blah, blah). Even the front window won't defrost properly on one of the cars. Both cars also have the oil being contaminated with gas and water vapour entering into the oil which is why the oil level on the dipstick is always way above the "full" mark ... terrible!!

Anyone else having these problems? Dealers say they are getting "lots" of these new 2017 and 2018 cars coming into their service shops with unhappy customers.
There are many complaints out there about Honda Cars don't generate enough heat to warm up the passenger cabins in the winter. I was one of them when I owned a 2007 Civic Sedan. Where I live, It is not as cold as Winipeg, Canada but my Civic did not have any heat until I reached about 5 miles onto my commute. No matter what I did, everything was stay the same, very slow warm up in the morning. So this what I did to keep myself warm until the heat generated by the engine kicked in.

1. I hit the Recirculated button. But if it causes your windows to frost up, you must turn it off immediately and turn on "AC Defrost" button.
2. Plug-in aftermarket seat warmer (I don't know your car already has this feature or not). But you must unplug it when you get to your destination to prevent accidental fire.

When I visited Montreal a few years back during winter, I saw every car had a plugged in extension cord attached to it. Later I found out that it was for engine heaters. Do you have one of these for your CR-V?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My cars are new cars (19000 kilometres and 4000 km on them both 2017 top of the line Touring models.

Yes I do have a plug in block heater and always use it when it is below 0 Fahrenheit (about minus 18C.)

The cars both come with seat and steering wheel electric warmers ... use these features all the time and they will keep your bum and hands warm, but the rest of you is freezing ... car just cannot warm up in city driving in Winnipeg ... Honda has a disaster on their hands for cold climate cars!
Seems to apply to most 2017 and 2018 Honda models.

We too have the air recirculating button which, when used, fogs up front window too quickly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My cars are new cars (19000 kilometres and 4000 km on them both 2017 top of the line Touring models.

Yes I do have a plug in block heater and always use it when it is below 0 Fahrenheit (about minus 18C.)

The cars both come with seat and steering wheel electric warmers ... use these features all the time and they will keep your bum and hands warm, but the rest of you is freezing ... car just cannot warm up in city driving in Winnipeg ... Honda has a disaster on their hands for cold climate cars!
Seems to apply to most 2017 and 2018 Honda models.

We too have the air recirculating button which, when used, fogs up front window too quickly.
Some of your countrymen had the same complaints here:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/2017/AC_heater/heat_not_working_properly.shtml

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heater

Feb 1 2018

Hello

Regarding the winter heating issue, will not you be thinking about solving this problem forever by buying and installing a Webasto or Eberschpacher installation on your car?
You will have the heat from the remote control 10-20 or 30 minutes before leaving home, and without starting the engine, the engine will be hot, there will be no need to scrape the ice on the windshield , it will not freeze your hands on the wheel in the morning, the car will be warm and your wife and children will enjoy with you this marvel. Until Honda resolves the problem of warming the engine in winter, you can resort to this auxiliary heating. You only have to be careful not to damage the battery, as after you have started and warmed the car and its engine with this installation, go for at least the time (10-30 minutes) you used using Webasto for do not discharge the battery. You no longer need any wires fitted to the socket to heat the car, or worry, the car may be in the cold, as it may heat up.

You have 2 options:

- Webasto in USA
- Eberschpacher in USA

I'm waiting to see if anyone is contradicting me that it's not true what I'm saying.

That's it, I wish you success in mounting Webasto or Eberschpacher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts