Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

any DIYers bought the new RTA-003 filter? i had previously steered away from the paper A02 in favor of the A01, but the usual suspects that carry the A01 no longer have it and it has since been replaced by this RTA-003 which i couldn't find much info about.

anyone have any experience or info on this filter versus the tried and true A01?

thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here's 5 pages of comments, seems like mixed reviews

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link... guess i don't really have much choice unless i want to pay crazy prices for the few A01's on eBay. i'm changing every 3500-4k anyway, so hopefully most filters will do a reasonable job with my short change interval.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I read that BITOG thread; damn, those guys get all worked up about something unlikely to make one damn bit of difference to the engine in the long term... "The sticker on the box doesn't look to be the right shape! Wow, Made in Japan quality has gone waaay down!" "No! Because of obscure laws I'm probably B.S.-ing about, it's marked Made In Japan, but probably not made there!" and on, and on, and on... sheesh.

The A01 was a fine filter, but since it's probably disco'd, I'll likely just slap on the well-regarded Fram Ultimate and call it a day. It's not worth it spending much time worrying about this stuff for such a trivial part.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Instead of the stock oil filter, do like I did and replace it with a gas/oil seperator filter. They work great, and you won't have to worry about the big D problem any more.

Maxco part #004-621710

edit.... I was just messing with you guys. There's no such thing. I made it up. Got ya!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I get Wix XP oil filters at Rockauto for less than $7. Get few and some Denso cabin filters for under $5 and an Wix engine air filter for less than $10 to make it worth the shipping cost. Get another 5% off by putting a coupon code in where did you here from us line

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Sorry but by the time its on the CRV I put another one right back on A-01 work for me. waste of my time and Money for something that is nearly the same material rebranded. just my opinion.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do not overthink this...just buy whatever honda is offering and put it in. No need to stress about something that will not make a darn difference in your engine.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Way over thinking oil filters. Not going to make a bit of difference. Your not driving a race car. It's a CRV. The tiny differences between filters has 0 real world effect when compared to the oil you choose to use. Use a higher end oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic for example) and use whatever filter you want.

Quality of oil and change intervals have always mattered more than anything else.

Gas/oil separators made me laugh at first till I remembered the issues with 2017+ turbo engines... only time on a fuel injected vehicle that a separator would even begin to make sense.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quality of oil and change intervals have always mattered more than anything else.

[/QUOTE]

I've always changed the oil and filter myself on my 2004 CR-V, but maybe old age is getting to me. On my 2019 CR-V, the dealer wants less than $50 for a synthetic oil and filter change, including a 20 point inspection and car wash. Doing it myself might save a few bucks, but the thought of removing that large cover before even seeing the filter or drain plug has made me decide to let the dealer do it from now on. If I have a failure caused by a defective oil filter, guess who's responsible?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts