Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited my dealer today to do an oil change and their "Routine Service" on the vehicle and while I was waiting there the senior supervisor that had told me about the Gear shift button replacement walked in just as I was about to get back my CR-V.

I asked him when the new button was coming out and he said that it is already been out since a little under a month ago and that they have been replacing them on vehicles that come in for service if the owner request it or the button shows signs of cracking.

I was kind of puzzled that they had not mentioned this to me when I bought the vehicle in for the service job.
He said that I could get it done now but since my vehicle was just finished I opted to wait until next week when I have 2 hours to blow again :bluduh:

I asked him if it looks any different than the old button and he said that it looks exactly the same as the old button but made of a much higher quality plastic. He also said that Honda started to realize that the problem was not happening as frequently as they had anticipated so they had scrubbed any major kind of announcement and instead would just replace them as needed or if requested, free of charge.

I asked him if it was now available in NA and he said he was not sure but assumed that it should be available globally.

When I go back I will try and see what the new part number is and if they can tell me what the part number is for NA so that forum members can make sure they are getting the correct part. Maybe I can take a picture of the old and new, maybe their is some sort of stamp on the inner part of the plastic to differentiate them.

Rob

·
Registered
627 Posts
I visited my dealer today to do an oil change and their "Routine Service" on the vehicle and while I was waiting there the senior supervisor that had told me about the Gear shift button replacement walked in just as I was about to get back my CR-V.

I asked him when the new button was coming out and he said that it is already been out since a little under a month ago and that they have been replacing them on vehicles that come in for service if the owner request it or the button shows signs of cracking.

I was kind of puzzled that they had not mentioned this to me when I bought the vehicle in for the service job.
He said that I could get it done now but since my vehicle was just finished I opted to wait until next week when I have 2 hours to blow again :bluduh:

I asked him if it looks any different than the old button and he said that it looks exactly the same as the old button but made of a much higher quality plastic. He also said that Honda started to realize that the problem was not happening as frequently as they had anticipated so they had scrubbed any major kind of announcement and instead would just replace them as needed or if requested, free of charge.

I asked him if it was now available in NA and he said he was not sure but assumed that it should be available globally.

When I go back I will try and see what the new part number is and if they can tell me what the part number is for NA so that forum members can make sure they are getting the correct part. Maybe I can take a picture of the old and new, maybe their is some sort of stamp on the inner part of the plastic to differentiate them.

Rob
Thanks good info.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
So from what you said. and what actions you took and what you Posted.....

I do not think the part was ever changed. And sorry to see you are again going in to the shop. this all sounds like Oil dilution. ABS plastic skimp on putting oils in you get a broken part. spraying with WD-40 may soften plastic up? Well I am Happy I got mine and works perfect took me less time to do then you can imagine.

Good luck in getting yours in 2 hours and a curtisy wash I hope (Wink)

Rob

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has there been an issue with broken shift buttons on the 2018 or just the 2017? Are the part numbers the same? Besides the part number, is there a reference number to the bulletin for replacement?

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Actually it has been an issue with All Honda not just the CR-V, and most likely the part number will be the same, so if the Service Department keeps old stock will they send to the recycle bin. no.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually it has been an issue with All Honda not just the CR-V, and most likely the part number will be the same, so if the Service Department keeps old stock will they send to the recycle bin. no.
I can see that making sense in one way and not making sense in another way.

For service manuals, online parts distributors, service bulletins etc they would want that part to remain the same or else they would have to update all the documentation.

On the other hand it would make sense to me that they have a different part number so that the service people are not giving people the older model part. It's possible that they recalled all the older units when they delivered the new ones. IMHO that would be the best way to handle the problem.

Rob

·
Registered
460 Posts
... they would want that part to remain the same or else they would have to update all the documentation.
All they have to do is update the computer ordering database to show that the old part number (when entered to order) has been superseded by the new part number. Happens all the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Has there been an issue with broken shift buttons on the 2018 or just the 2017?
I have wondered the same and asked if anyone with a 2018 had it break on a previous thread but there were no replies. When folks posted here or on Facebook and stated their model year it was always 2017. Maybe the 2018 are too new still or maybe they improved the part on the 2018. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Yep a simple character done if I had a lathe I make the part, heck I'll do it by hand but by then I'll look for an Aftermarket shifter instead. that has more umph.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,061 Posts
I have wondered the same and asked if anyone with a 2018 had it break on a previous thread but there were no replies. When folks posted here or on Facebook and stated their model year it was always 2017. Maybe the 2018 are too new still or maybe they improved the part on the 2018. Time will tell.
My '18 didn't have the broken shifter button....I wonder if the reason no one with an '18 replied is maybe none of them had broken button...

But my '18 didn't have the magically growing oil level, or cold cabin issues either. Wonder if there is a correlation? NAH!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is an 18 and has not broken either and now I am wondering if I should fix what aint broke:)
Maybe I will just ask them for the part and keep in the glove compartment in case I ever need it.

Rob

·
Registered
460 Posts
...ask them for the part and keep in the glove compartment in case I ever need it.
That would be my plan. For $12, I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'd also have to think - if the 2018s have been using the new, stronger part, why did it take so long to release the improved replacement part

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would be my plan. For $12, I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'd also have to think - if the 2018s have been using the new, stronger part, why did it take so long to release the improved replacement part
The fact that Honda opened a Plant in Japan to supply NA kind of gives you an idea of whats going on. Also couple that with all the news reports of surging SUV sales for 2018 going into 2019 and you can imagine that Honda probably just does not have enough parts in inventory to make the vehicles plus send out replacement spares to all the dealers. Just a theory but kind of backed up by the fact that when I was at the dealers they had no CR-Vs for sale. They did have some in the lot marked sold but I assume that they are once again waiting on a large shipment to arrive. It's actually kind of ticking me off at how common these things are on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Remember cold makes plastic Brittle why I do less Rc in winter Oil (dam I said Oil) B/c oil is what keeps plastic strong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My gear shift button was feeling a bit loose. I had it looked at yesterday and the result was that it WAS cracked and needed to be changed.

If your gear shift button is feeling a bit loose take it in and have it replaced before it fails and you are stuck somewhere.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts