Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2002 CRV with 180k. Car looked cleaned and maintained. I took it to Honda just so they can give it a once over and get an idea of what’s needs to be fixed. This is what they said needed to be fixed. Valve adjustment, power steering pump is leaking, drive belt, fluids look dark, shocks needs to be replaced and bushings. It’s an old car so I was not surprised but what’s giving me pause is the drive belt from what I read and been told if this has been an issue for a long time it’s only a matter of time that the engine will fail. I guess my question is. Is it worth it to get the other problems fixed? Should I get the drive chain fixed? It’s a car for my daughter and just want to have something reliable for school and work. Sorry for the long read just a dad trying to help his kid. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The K24 engine in the 2002 CR-V has an internal drive chain.
I suspect the belt they listed is the external serpentine belt. It's supposed to be changed every 100,000 miles or so, so it is due.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tha k you for responding. Would the serpentine belt cause a knocking or tapping sound? That’s what prompted me to take it to Honda. Which I think it’s why the valve adjustment is supposed to fix. I also read that if there is metal shavings in the oil when the oil change is done that’s a sign of a bad Chain.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,066 Posts
Loose valves can cause a tapping sound. They need adjustment every 15,000 miles.

Aftermarket shocks need replacing every 50k. OE shocks usually last longer, but it depends on use.

Everything else sounds like normal wear and tear.

Like Raccoon said, your engine has an internal camshaft timing chain. If the dealer said you need that replaced, it's a big deal and expensive, but drive belts are completely different. Drive belts usually need replacement every 30k.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Loose valves can cause a tapping sound. They need adjustment every 15,000 miles.
The valves on a 2001 and earlier CR-V with a B series engine need to be adjusted every year. But the K series engines that come in the 2002 and later CR-Vs only need the valves to be checked every 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i decided to keep the crv and get some of the work done. valve adjustment, power steering pump, new plugs, a few seals, full synthetic oil change, brake fluid change. the engine sounds and runs like a champ. there was no metal shavings or fragments in the oil so i feel good about the drive chain which was my main concern. The V has 180+ miles and i feel like i need to get the transmission fluid done since i have no record of when it was last flushed. the shop i took it to said they do not like doing that particular job and wanted me to add a bottle of this additive to help the tranny run smooth. I opted out and decided i rather just get it done the right way. now i am on the hunt in finding a shop that will do it. If there is anyone in Tampa FL that knows of a shop please chime in. i rather not take it to the dealer but i would like to get this done to keep this baby running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts