Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

New here- thinking about getting a CR-V

2243 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Webegpn2
Hi, I am a member of Honda Accord forum for 8 years. My daughter has a 1998 Accord, 250,000 miles, which she also had for 8 years and 100,000 miles.

I am looking for a CR-V for my daughter and saw a 2009 CR-V , $5,400 with 148,000 miles.
I haven't looked at it yet, but was surprised about a few things.

1) It does not have timing belt but uses a steel timing chain?
2) The ad says it is a AWD. Is that common, or is it an option?
3) Do the transmissions and engines typically last 250,000 if taken care of?

Are there any issues that are common with these cars? I am a fairly good mechanic but want to be prepared for any issues or quirks with CR-V's
( I kept my daughter's car running for 8 years. I am giving up now because the crankshaft seal is leaking and it is not worth taking the engine out for repairs).

Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,979 Posts
WELCOME.

1. Correct, timing CHAIN. If the engine has been run low oil, the chain can stretch.

2. AWD is very common up north...less common in Southern states. Check to assure that the driveshaft is in place before buying.
AWD requires that tires be the same size...best to replace all at once. (If you rotate religiously, this is not an issue)

3. I don't know about 250K miles. The engines will last, but the trans (and rear diffs) require regular replacement of fluid.

Common issues: A/C compressor clutches wear (causing intermittent operation) Door lock actuators fail.

Be prepared to do ALL the 100K mile maintenance on any V that you buy, just to assure that it has been done.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.