Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to Honda and this forum, so be patient with me. I have enjoyed the cuv greatly. Smooth nice ride.
Learning the new to me gismo's of today's car. I really enjoy the adaptive cruise and lane keeping systems. My wife and I test drove the Accord, which she was going to get. But the ride was not to her liking. When I drove the CR-V Hybrid it was amazingly smooth and she thought so also. So we started the buying process then went home to think about it. It's expensive. The next day the dealer called as expected to sell us some more. It worked. We went back to the dealer but before I signed anything I wanted to drive a gasoline CR-V. Huge difference in ride comfort and it had less power. Yep you read that right less power than the Hybrid. So we bought the Hybrid. Now 650 miles later, real happy.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Yes the Hybrid has a liitle more power than the petrol CR-V, but nothing earth-shatteringly so.

I noticed it too when test driving both models before settling on the 1.5T as that fitted my lifestyle and needs better, plus the golden nugget of a spare wheel too.

Interesting comments re the Accord - which variant was it that your wife drove? (Sadly, we no longer have the Accord here in the UK......).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes the Hybrid has a liitle more power than the petrol CR-V, but nothing earth-shatteringly so.

I noticed it too when test driving both models before settling on the 1.5T as that fitted my lifestyle and needs better, plus the golden nugget of a spare wheel too.

Interesting comments re the Accord - which variant was it that your wife drove? (Sadly, we no longer have the Accord here in the UK......).
Yes I agree, a little more power, not earth shattering. I thought the same thing above how we would driving the CR-V. In our case it will be mostly highway and not city. So maybe I should get the gasoline version but the ride told me to get the hybrid. And now the readout on the dic reads less than what I am currently getting per tankful calculated by hand. Which is first tank full 40 mpg calculated and readout shows average of 34.3mpg. Half way into second tank looks even better 37mpg and readout of 34mpg. This is mostly highway of 70%, 30% small city. The opposite of what is stated for EPA mpg on sticker. Hopefully to stay this way. Just posting facts or what I see as facts.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts

Really?! No more Accords in the UK? But why?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Same here. It was cannibalizing CR-V sales so it had to be put down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darkrider, to finish answering your last question, my wife drove the 2020 Accord Hybrid Touring. She also found that the passenger seat needed more cushion, it started to hurt her in about 10 minutes. I also made a typo in my post where it read 47mpg, it was 37mpg. I have edited it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Yes I agree, a little more power, not earth shattering. I thought the same thing above how we would driving the CR-V. In our case it will be mostly highway and not city. So maybe I should get the gasoline version but the ride told me to get the hybrid. And now the readout on the dic reads less than what I am currently getting per tankful calculated by hand. Which is first tank full 40 mpg calculated and readout shows average of 34.3mpg. Half way into second tank looks even better 37mpg and readout of 34mpg. This is mostly highway of 70%, 30% small city. The opposite of what is stated for EPA mpg on sticker. Hopefully to stay this way. Just posting facts or what I see as facts.
Yeah.. if you plan on mostly freeway driving, the Hybrid is not a compelling choice due to the price premium vs payback.

Where the hybrid shines, as is true with most hybrids, is in town stop and go driving.. or freeway driving with lots of stop and go traffic conditions.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Really?! No more Accords in the UK? But why?
Supply from Japan stopped in early 2015.

Simply reason is that Honda couldnt sell enough to justify them being shipped here. COnsequently, we have never got to sample something like the Accord Hybrid either.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum! Hmmm. I wonder why the big difference in the ride?
I wonder the same thing. The hybrid does weigh 400lb (181kg) more, could that change it? I drove the Touring edition 1.5L 2020 CR-V after I drove the 2.0 hybrid EXL CR-V. I do not know why the ride difference was there, it was apparently better right away to me.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
I wonder the same thing. The hybrid does weigh 400lb (181kg) more, could that change it? I drove the Touring edition 1.5L 2020 CR-V after I drove the 2.0 hybrid EXL CR-V. I do not know why the ride difference was there, it was apparently better right away to me.
I noticed that the 1.5T rode better, despite having 19" wheels too. The Hybrid here in the UK comes with standard 18" wheels across all grades/trim.

I also hazard a guess that the added weight in the Hybrid also contributes to the limited towing factor too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I noticed that the 1.5T rode better, despite having 19" wheels too. The Hybrid here in the UK comes with standard 18" wheels across all grades/trim.

I also hazard a guess that the added weight in the Hybrid also contributes to the limited towing factor too.
Yes 18" on EX-L 19" on Touring in USA. Towing was not a consideration when I purchased anyway. Grocerygetter.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can't really add anything to this post as I never tried anything but the hybrid
But all I can say is that I am happy with my new CRV and that is the main thing
I would of had steel 16" wheels if thet were available but that is personal choice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't really add anything to this post as I never tried anything but the hybrid
But all I can say is that I am happy with my new CRV and that is the main thing
I would of had steel 16" wheels if thet were available but that is personal choice
Why would you chose steel 16" wheels? Please explain in-depth.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
And with the hybrids few mpg difference you will break even in 50 years at today’s gas prices.

ps - I bought an Accord Hybrid in early March lol
Your break even point depends on your driving. If it is mostly freeway driving, you are correct. If it is mostly stop and go in town driving the hybrid payback is much much faster. Hybrids really shine on the epa city mpg side of things.

So each owner has to assess "break even" for themselves and depending on their normal driving requirements.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts