Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As usual, the uninformed writers fail to understand that the CR-V Hybrid does NOT have a CVT gearbox. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,485 Posts

As usual, the uninformed writers fail to understand that the CR-V Hybrid does NOT have a CVT gearbox. 🤦‍♂️
Honda calling it an "eCVT" is bad enough, but calling it a "CVT Gearbox" absolutely misses the point and actually misleads people.
They also didn't point out the large difference in hybrid systems. The Kia's electric motor sometimes "helps", but the Honda's actually drives the car most of the time.
And THIS is nuts:
"But sometimes the engine drives the wheels directly through the elastic band-like CVT ’box"
I just don't know where to start with this interesting statement.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is why "industry journo's" are just that - uneducated and uninformed with a dashing of completely ignorance.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,485 Posts
This is why "industry journo's" are just that - uneducated and uninformed with a dashing of completely ignorance.
I would never have put those three vehicles in the same category, and I would definitely never think of my CR-V as a "Bulky Brute", that might describe a Suburban or an Expedition, even a Pilot doesn't seem "bulky" to me.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definitely never think of my CR-V as a "Bulky Brute"
Given the limited SUV choice in the UK, and the popular small cars too, the CR-V is actually quite big compared to most others here.

The only category Land/Range Rovers qualify for is the freakin dustbin!! 😂

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
All this assumes people know or care about the gearbox in their cars. My family doesn’t.
They just want it to work.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,485 Posts
Given the limited SUV choice in the UK, and the popular small cars too, the CR-V is actually quite big compared to most others here.

The only category Land/Range Rovers qualify for is the freakin dustbin!! 😂
Whenever I see the Time Team pull up to a site in that Rover I think, wow, it's a miracle they even made it there.
I suppose a CR-V would be "bulky" compared to a Smart, but here it's a small compact.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
All this assumes people know or care about the gearbox in their cars. My family doesn’t.
They just want it to work.
This is a REALLY good point, @rocky ! There are (pardon my pun) gearheads that will discuss things like this ad nauseum, which is fine. When the gearheads start criticizing "normal owners" who "don't get it right" or "don't understand", is where the problem lies.

(Again a bad pun): Speaking of lies. I think journalists have a duty to "get it right", but we all know how often that happens!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would never have put those three vehicles in the same category, and I would definitely never think of my CR-V as a "Bulky Brute", that might describe a Suburban or an Expedition, even a Pilot doesn't seem "bulky" to me.
My daughter drives a bulky brute, a 2021 Nissan NV passenger van. I always assumed that automobile journalists knew what they were talking about, were experts, if you will. Even this girl knew the CRV hybrid has a different transmission than the gas models.....

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always assumed that automobile journalists knew what they were talking about,
The only thing guaranteed for said folks is word-salad. And even then its tossed wrong.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
The only thing guaranteed for said folks is word-salad. And even then its tossed wrong.
The word salad people often choose the wrong dressing.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
121 Posts
"Indeed, to get a big hybrid SUV for that sort of money, you’d have to go for something like the Honda CR-V, which, in hybrid form, comes only as a five-seater. "

Hmmmm... hw many does the gas model seat?

Also, Honda calls this a compact SUV.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
"Indeed, to get a big hybrid SUV for that sort of money, you’d have to go for something like the Honda CR-V, which, in hybrid form, comes only as a five-seater. "

Hmmmm... hw many does the gas model seat?

Also, Honda calls this a compact SUV.
Remember, this is an international forum, and the CR-V is sold in many different configurations in different countries. In the US it can be considered a smallish "SUV" when compared with the likes of Chevy Tahoes, Ford Explorers, etc. Not the case in England or Europe or many other countries, where the gas CR-V may be sold as a 7 passenger vehicle, and considered "big".

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD, 2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
28 Posts
Yep. I’m a Brit living in the US and I’m used the the size of US vehicles, so the CR-V does seem smallish to me but, on a recent visit to England, I saw a CR-V parked next to the “normal” cars you see in England and the CR-V looked like a tank in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
[QUOTE="beww, post: 1677798, member: 421726"
I suppose a CR-V would be "bulky" compared to a Smart, but here it's a small compact.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need to use a tiny smart as a comparison. Ford fiestas, opel corsas, Ford focus’s (focii?), opel astras, vw golfs are the most popular cars in the UK (perhaps the CUVs have overtaken them but they are still small) so the norm is not that extreme

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whenever I see the Time Team pull up to a site in that Rover I think, wow, it's a miracle they even made it there.
I suppose a CR-V would be "bulky" compared to a Smart, but here it's a small compact.
Sorry, meant to quote reply before:

You don’t need to use a tiny smart as a comparison. Ford fiestas, opel corsas, Ford focus’s (focii?), opel astras, vw golfs are the most popular cars in the UK (perhaps the CUVs have overtaken them but they are still small) so the norm is not that extreme

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep. I’m a Brit living in the US and I’m used the the size of US vehicles, so the CR-V does seem smallish to me but, on a recent visit to England, I saw a CR-V parked next to the “normal” cars you see in England and the CR-V looked like a tank in comparison

I saw a new 2021 Sorento the other day....that too looked huge.

But then I remembered that Kia also have the Telluride too inthe US, not UK. And thats bigger still!

Reactions: slimjam
1 - 20 of 34 Posts