Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumble inceases with gas applied, while in Park. The CRV is a 2002, 4 cyl auto, with 150K miles. I suspect it may be the muffler assembly, but the sound is up front and the actual muffler is in the rear, correct? And, I crawled under the car and looked at the muffler, brackets, resonator, etc, and found no holes or anything loose. Might it be the gasket where the entire assembly attaches to the engine? Something else?

As far as I recall, and checking my records, I have never replaced the muffler. Car has been garaged during winter (not driven, for past 9 years). I currently put on about 3K miles/summer. It is well maintained. Anything else I should check? Is there a way to confirm if it is the muffler, or gasket? Thanks in advance for any help troubleshooting this.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter. Free and pretty easy to do.
Make sure it is cool and not at operating temp. :(
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the heat shield on the catalytic converter. Free and pretty easy to do.
Make sure it is cool and not at operating temp. :(
Buffalo4
I checked it and it is tight, not loose at all. I had a loose shield on another car, so I know what they feel like. Thanks for the reply, though. Any other ideas? It is more of a rumble than a higher pitched rattle.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I suppose you could block up the wheels super well, and crawl under while someone gives it some gas.
Sorry, that's all I have.
Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts