Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New member, been reading various interesting posts about all sorts of things. We got this CR-V from my father-in-law who had been playing bumper cars with it for a couple years. It has had various front-end work done because of his driving. Anyway, after we got it I have replaced the washer pumps and reservoir, the radiator and hoses, front brakes pads, and a few other things. The FIL had done all required maintenance before we appropriated the vehicle. The next projects are to fix the dash clock (found a thread about that) and to try and get the brake light on the dash to go out... I have cleaned the screen in the reservoir, that didn't help. And the coolant temperature gauge needle doesn't move, sometimes for 40 miles, then the needle pops up to the center of the gauge.
Car has 103900 miles, is front drive, and has no body issues, other than what FIL did to it.

·
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Wow, that's low miles! I highly recommend you scrounge up a factory service manual. It will contain detailed troubleshooting for everything you've mentioned, plus everything else. I got mine off eBay, in CD form, and it has easily paid for itself. It's over 3,200 pages and is very thorough. Here's one from the same guy I got mine from:

1997 1999 2001 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD w/ ETM | eBay

Best money I've spent so far. It will have detailed step-by-step troubleshooting for the brakes, and every other system on the car. This is a pdf form of the Honda factory manual. Equipped with this manual and information you can find here and on YouTube, you should be able to solve any issue. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
There's a couple guys (shops?) on eBay that repair the clocks, mostly for fairly cheap. I sent mine out (2 actually) for $16ea he repaired them and they've been working perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum! Wow, that's low miles! I highly recommend you scrounge up a factory service manual. It will contain detailed troubleshooting for everything you've mentioned, plus everything else. I got mine off eBay, in CD form, and it has easily paid for itself. It's over 3,200 pages and is very thorough. Here's one from the same guy I got mine from:

1997 1999 2001 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD w/ ETM | eBay

Best money I've spent so far. It will have detailed step-by-step troubleshooting for the brakes, and every other system on the car. This is a pdf form of the Honda factory manual. Equipped with this manual and information you can find here and on YouTube, you should be able to solve any issue. Let us know how it goes.
I found the Chilton guide, it's pretty general, but has a few useful facts. I'll take a look at your link, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a couple guys (shops?) on eBay that repair the clocks, mostly for fairly cheap. I sent mine out (2 actually) for $16ea he repaired them and they've been working perfect.
I fixed the clock last night. Pretty easy, once I found a magnifying glass to see the solder cracks.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I found the Chilton guide, it's pretty general, but has a few useful facts. I'll take a look at your link, thanks.
Both the Chilton and Haynes repair guides are very basic.
Look instead for the Honda CR-V Service Manual. It has an ugly green cover with "CR-V" in big white letters, and the years covered and "Service Manual" in small white letters.
You can also order one from helminc.com for US $52.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both the Chilton and Haynes repair guides are very basic.
Look instead for the Honda CR-V Service Manual. It has an ugly green cover with "CR-V" in big white letters, and the years covered and "Service Manual" in small white letters.
You can also order one from helminc.com for US $52.
I ordered the CD version of the Service Manual today. Got a lot of use out of the last one I had for my Datsun 310 in 1981.

·
1,947 Posts
Yup - The Honda Factory Service Manual far surpasses the weak Chilton and Haynes, etc. There is absolutely no comparison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the clock fixed, got the brake light to go out. Wife hit a pole today, guess I'll fix that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Stop sign wasn't anchored too well, I just went into the garage to look at the rear end of the car and I couldn't tell where it struck the pole. Plus 1 for the wife.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even though she said she backed into the Stop sign, actually she hit it with the front bumper (that explains the lack of damage on the rear).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts