Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V hybrid Executive trim Premium Chrystal Red Metallic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick introduction: I'm from the Netherlands and currently waiting to get our Gen 5 Hybrid delivered. That will be next Monday. It's our company car. Buying an electric or hybrid car here in The Netherlands comes with significant tax breaks for the owner / company. I'm not native in English, so please bear with me and don't call for the grammar police.

It's not our first CR-V: the hybrid replaces our 2013 2.2 diesel now with 120k miles under its belt. And I've owned several Honda's in the past. Mainly Civics when I was young! Our diesel gen4 has proved to be the perfect long-distance cruiser. We're in a small country, but Europe is rather large. Over here, the diesel gen4 is allowed to tow 1500 kg/3300 lbs. A 1000 kg/2200 lbs tow: trailer + a large RIB boat + laser dinghy + bikes and tools never proved a problem. Not even crossing the Alps to Italy or the Pyrenees between Spain and France.
My son's sailing team has 'joined forces' and have bought a large VW Crafter Van capable of towing larger trailers, so our new CR-V will lead a more 'sheltered' life. Mind you, over here a gen5 hybrid CR-V is allowed to tow 750 kg/1650 lbs. A non-hybrid gen 5 is now -no kidding- allowed to tow 4400 libs!!

Honda is a very, very small brand here in the Netherlands. In 2019, they managed to sell 1460 cars in total, ( out of nearly 500,000 new cars here in this country). Of that 1460, about 25 CR-Vs every month. Why? Well, they're expensive to buy in this country. Hondas are mainly sold to 'pensiondos' and people who want to tow a caravan, boat or a horse trailer. Despite Max Verstappen's success with the Honda engine in his Red Bull, Honda doesn't spend a lot on advertising! An example? Here, Hondas are sold with a 10 yr /120k miles all-inclusive warranty. You only pay for maintenance and tires. No other car manufacturer has this here in the country. Kia comes close with 7 yrs. So, despite being expensive to buy, in the long run, they prove to be cheap.

The local dealer is only a stone's throw from my house. That's always an advantage. And I must say that their service is A+. I needed to transport an Optimist sailing dinghy on top of our gen 4. The dealer simply lent me a set. No charge! Its workshop has only 3 lifts, because "...they never break down, sir!" All the mechanics have to do is maintenance. The local Kia dealer is also Land Rover dealer. I was able to peek inside that workshop and noticed several(!) engines on the workbench. Not Kia's, all Land Rover's. Their way to make a living when the workshop is too big: adopt a brand with regular breakdowns...

Apart from the towing differences, there are a few more variations here: the hybrid comes in a 2wd version as well. The cheaper versions. As I've been told, the 2wd hybrid is not sold everywhere. And the trim levels are different. We're upgrading from an L version gen4 to an Executive version gen5. That's the version with all possible options included.

Anyway, I'll be contributing from time to time, but mostly reading!

Safe travels!

M.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great intro and welcome. Like the Netherlands Honda in the UK is a small time player and they dont seem to be promoting the brand. There's a consensus that their days are numbered in the UK certainly with the CRV.

You'll be very pleased with the Hybrid it's an excellent car to drive and own, even better when someone else is subsidising it. There's no reason to doubt its reliability and I don't anticipate problems but who wouldn't like a 10 year warranty as opposed to the UK 5 years (and that wasn't free).

The hitch and towing discrepancy between the US and European models is a strange one. After lengthy discussions in the forum I don't think anyone definitively knows why you can't fit a hitch to the US model.

Great colour by the way it goes very well with the CRVs angles.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have seen very few CR-Vs on the Autobahn. Probably the rarest of all models.

It dominates our slow streets tho.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Big hearty welcome!

Subsidized or not, you will adore the CR-V Hybrid for 2 key reasons.

1- Its a Honda.
2- Its not a Toyota. Or German. Or French. Or Swedish. Or German.

Look forward to the pics!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dug out two pics of 'old faithful'. A 2016 and a 2018 picture. First one was taken in the northernmost province of our country a few days before the annual DYR week: world's largest youth sailing event in a small town in Friesland. The other pic was taken on the ferry between Calais (France) and Dover (UK). A 45 mins trip across the busiest shipping lanes in the world. On both occasions, we were hauling dinghies!

Between the first and the second pic, there's a difference: the stance of the back wheels: after hauling a lot of trailers, I noticed that the rear tires started wearing in an odd way. Simple spring adjusters helped a lot. Only set-back was the slightly more bumpy ride of the back part of the car.

This car will be p/ex'ed next Monday for the new hybrid. The only thing that went wrong in > 6.5 yrs of owning that car, was the failure of the centre brake light!

·
Registered
749 Posts
The only thing that went wrong in > 6.5 yrs of owning that car, was the failure of the centre brake light!
On my last two 4th Gen CR-V's, the same failure. Must have been cheap quality - either way, it was a simple and quick fix. The central brake light on the 5th Gen looks more robust.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looks just like mine.

3rd brake light failed on mine and my friend's G4. Obvious design/mfg flaw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was replaced under its 7 (now 10) yrs warranty. It's by far the most trouble-free car we ever had. It simply never failed and apart from the light, nothing broke down. I own a few classic cars as you can see in my signature. I had the white CR-V up on the ramps of my go-to classic car workshop. What's interesting is that Honda had a no-frills attitude when it came to designing the underpinnings of the CR-V. Simple, rugged and not too complicated. But certainly well-designed. Not over-engineered like a Land Cruiser. I like that!

·
2,811 Posts
Welcome! Please be sure to post vehicle posts for your new Hybrid in our new Hybrid section. And don't forget to show it to us!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts