Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and looking to buy a CRV tonight. Ive owned several Honda's/Acuras but Ive always wanted a CRV. Anyways, I have to drive about 2 1/2 hours to look at this CRV and the current owner has posted a few issues about the vehicle:

"2001 Honda CRV with 185,857 miles. Work done in the last year includes: Water pump, new belts, oil pump, oil pan gasket, o2 sensors, plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, adjusted valves, timing belt, sway links, tie rod ends, new tensioner, pull, cap, rotor.
I bought it from a friend of a friend. He said that a new engine was put in it 100,000 miles ago. I don't have any proof of that.
The check engine light is on with the codes: P0304, P0420, P0430.
It runs great and the body is in really good condition. It had spent some time in Las Vegas without the Wisconsin salted roads.
Shakes a little when you get to highway speeds. Mechanic says it needs an alignment."

Ive read up on the valves needing proper adjustment often to keep it running smoothly and to prevent a valve job. I was thinking that the misfire on cylinder 3 might be related to the valve job he had done last year being done incorrectly? Hence the misfire and the catalyst efficiency codes? Maybe im just over thinking it. I know cats are somewhat common on Honda's, at least the ones that I have owned in the past. I also read up on the vibration/shaking issues. Besides the tires being worn unevenly/out of balance or a loose suspension component, could the shaking be cause by the rear driveshaft? Are there some easy checks I can do while looking at the vehicle for these problems? He also said that the rear diff whines in snow when the AWD kicks in. I'm thinking flushing with genuine dual pump fluid and following the clutch burnishing procedure should take care of this? Just looking for some input on this before I buy. He is asking $2000 for it. Thanks in advance.

00O0O_5QWeNzG2VHM_600x450.jpg
00000_8lIq0Uplnzq_600x450.jpg
00a0a_9zEfJb9MNWa_600x450.jpg
00l0l_eVsvcX6iMp3_600x450.jpg
01414_c5Pz6FvvyaM_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
1st of all welcome to the forum! I notice that its a manual transmission. How is the clutch? When on the highway does the vehicle wander ? If so, you will need an alignment. The shaking could be a bad center propeller that needs new U joints & maybe the centre support bearing that is bad or both. To determine if its the shaft you will have to remove it & then see if the vibes goes away. In regards about the noise when the AWD kicks is most likely what you said it needs new dual pump fluid. For the code P0304 it means that misfire is detected on cylinder 4. If you want to be sure you can do a compression test on cylinder 4.
P0430 & P0420 is related to the Cat. When the O2 sensors were replaced what brand of sensors did they use? Any exhaust leak? If you have an exhaust leak it could trigger the P0420 code. Let us know. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts