Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but have been a member or the prelude club previously.
I've currently got a 1997 Honda CRV 2.0 Es Auto with 97k on the clock.
All has been great until last month when it has developed a cold start problem.
Basically the car will not tick over properly until warm.
When cold it just cuts out until upto temp.
Really frustrating and the diagnostics has reported no fault codes.
Guys here at work think perhaps it a gearbox / clutch issue but I ask if anyone has experienced similar or can help me find the fault.
Thanks in advance
Nick

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Welcome To The Club!

Welcome to the club! Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I am not familiar with UK Vs so this is probably a dumb question, is your V gasoline or diesel? If there is a choice, it could be a helpful.

Does your V idle out of gear Ok when it is cold? If not I am not sure I would suspect the transmission. While we are on the subject of transmissions, have you changed the fluid lately? If not it might be wise to use the three times drain and fill outlined here:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/t2324/

In case you haven't figured out by now, I don't have a clue what is wrong with your vehicle, and I hope someone here can help you.

Probably falling under the category of strange things you read on the internet, I do remember a guy with a 67 chevy, same exact problem but 39 years ago. He took it to a number of places and nobody (including where I worked) could find anything wrong. He took it to another dealer, they changed a $3.00 PCV valve (which I had checked & found OK) and the car was fine. Well that is sort of like advice out of a parallel universe--where gravity works backwards and they have 17 dimensions--but who knows.

Well I hope that some one can help you. Again welcome to the club, and good luck on your problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the club! Sorry to hear that you are having problems. I am not familiar with UK Vs so this is probably a dumb question, is your V gasoline or diesel?
Neither!!
It's a petrol version:p
Gen 1 V's were only available as a petrol

Could it be anything to do with the valve adjustment??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Neither! Hmmm!

I'll forgive you for the crack about it being neither gasoline or diesel, for the thought of valve adjustment. Good point. Gen 1's needed routine valve adjustments. Couldn't hurt to have it checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for help

Thanks Black Pearl and Fatboyslim (2 excellent user names by the way) for your helpful insights, I have now booked it in to have the valves checked and will change the transmission oil at the same time, I'll post later in the week how I got on, Have a good week ahead and thank you both again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts