Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]

Hello, My name is Penny, I live in the country in Minnesota and currently drive a 2003 Honda CRV AWD.

I am trying to decide between a new Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4. Since it has been awhile since I have looked at any Honda sites this is the question that I have: I have observed that the Honda CRVs are being offered in 2/front wheel drive and AWD as are the RAV4's.

I am confused as to why the 2WD Honda CRV is being promoted more than the AWD. I have researched both vehicles and understand why the Honda is OK in 2 WD HOWEVER, I remain concerned about driving at 2 a.m. and 1 a.m. 20 miles to work with front wheel drive only. 2WD Honda CRV owners I need your advice.

What tire do you suggest for all season driving? Thanks so much.
Penny

·
Registered
148 Posts
Snow in May? Only in Minnesota.

IMO if you are concerned with traveling late at night in a state famous for snow and AWD has been useful consider AWD again. FWD sedan or FWD CRV/RAV4 will perform similarly in good/bad weather. Choose the vehicle that fits your needs rather than just what is currently promoted.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC Penny. I suspect if FWD models are being pushed its due to a dealer or dealers being over stocked on them with the 2011's due to hit the lots in the next 4-6 weeks.

Before i bought my first Element in 2003 i had always driven FWD cars with a dedicated set of winter tires. With either 4wd or FWD you can't go wrong with getting winter tires for the added sense of security. If i was worried about trade in value down the road i would go 4wd...Personally after having to vehicles with Hondas RT4WD i would be going FWD with a good set of winter tires.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would also expect an AWD CRV to have higher resale value, especially in a state like Minnesota. Consider that as part of the overall cost of the vehicle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I lived in Minn. I would go 4WD. Better off in case you get stuck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRV FWD or AWD Question

:) Thanks to the CRV and Honda owners for such a quick responses to my question re "should I go FWD or AWD" with whatever vehicle [Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV] I decide to purchase.

I must say that the HONDA CR-V owners group friends have been more helpful and with immediate answers :) than the TOYOTA RAV4 owners group. Haven't heard a "peep" from them. :rolleyes:

When I purchased my 1st Honda, which was a 2003 CR-V, I came to the CR-V owners group to ask ?s and rec'd so much information and help making my decision to purchase my first HONDA & CR-V :) I also turned to the Honda CR-V owners group when purchasing new tires for my CRV.

Thanks for such quick responses...I agree with all of the answers rec'd to date. I had thought about resale, & all the information you shared with me. My husband is a "winter tire man" for the front wheels on his Honda Civic. He is going to purchase my CRV and intends to use "winter tires" on the front of car also-or do ya have to buy them all around? Well whatever it is you need to use with winter tires [ 2 or 4 ] that is what he has done & intends to do with my CRV.

Yes this woman is informed:eek: about tires-can't ya tell.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
687 Posts
ALWAYS install winter tires on all 4 wheels. Winter tires are just as, if not more improtant for stopping and cornering as they are for accelerating. The car has 4 wheels... all 4 wheels provide grip in cornering and braking, even on a FWD car.

If you want to know how your car will handle in snow with only front winter tires... go out to a empty parking lot when the pavement is wet, inflate the rear tirs to the maximum allowed on the sidewall (usually 40-45psi), and deflate the front tires to around 25psi. Now try stopping and turning and see what you think. Be sure to return the tires to normal pressure before going back on public roads.

if you live on roads that don't get plowed or cleared regularly, then 4WD might be worth it. As mentioned, in MN you'll find that demand is higher for 4WD, so resale may be proportionally lower for a FWD SUV.

Personally, in any place that regularly gets more tha 6" of snow in 1 day in the winter, or that gets a lot of ice, AND that has lots of hills and limited lowing or salting equipment, I think it's worthwhile to have at least 1 vehcile with AWD, just for peice of mind. It's nice ot know that you won't be trapped in your home in a snow emergency... or worse, trapped away from your home or stuck in a ditch somewhere.

Also, for those in more moderate climates where snow/winter tires don't make sense, AWD provides a good year round compromise when using all season tires. Snow events are sizeable here in SE Iowa, but are infrequent enough that snow tires wouldn't last more than 2 seasons since they'd spend more than 80% of their time on dry pavement. It's more practical to just use a good all season tire and replace it a little sooner. If I live about 100 miles further north above the "lower snow belt" I'd probably use snow tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WINTER TIRES motoguy128

:eek:Thanks motoguy128 for clarifying the winter tires front only or all 4 tires. :eek: Quite obviously I had no clue. I'm sure my husband does have 4 winter tires he puts on his HONDA Civic.

Once again...the HCRVOG was there with an immediate answer for me! Thanks once again!!!! :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
[email protected]

I am confused as to why the 2WD Honda CRV is being promoted more than the AWD. I have researched both vehicles and understand why the Honda is OK in 2 WD HOWEVER, I remain concerned about driving at 2 a.m. and 1 a.m. 20 miles to work with front wheel drive only. 2WD Honda CRV owners I need your advice.
Probably a couple of reasons. 1) Honda may have a surplus of 2WD CR-V's. 2) Honda might have a limited supply of RT4WD components (sometimes by contract or by capacity on various components) so they are limited on their volume of 4WD models they can produce with those components. 3) Honda might have a slightly better margin on their 2WD models. The vairable increase in cost of the 4WD models might not be fully offset by the vairable increase in revenue.

My best guess if just an oversupply of 2WD models. August sales were slow, and Hodna might have been counting on a certian sales volume from the West Coast and South where the 2WD modesl are primarily sold. Having not sold as many, Honda is pushing the 2WD on other market and probably offering dealer incentives to move them.

Finally, it's also possible Honda is pushing hard to maintain market share and the top sales slot for SUV sales. So they are pushing the LX 2WD model to stretch their customer base to those that might instead purchase a Kia, or a 4 door midsized sedan. The margin on the 2WD LX is probably still better than that Accord EX at the same price.

When looking at mfg. incentives and sales and marketing pushes, you have to consider production volumes as well as vairable margins. With the new Tuscon and some other players with more power and features at a lwoer price, Honda may need to cut their prices until the next major update to maintain their sales volumes and market share.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once again Thanks motoguy128

:) This was a very interesting answer motoguy128...and I would not think about something like this at all. Thanks again!!!;)

All of the responses I have rec'd have been very helpful!

I'm going to the HONDA dealership tomorrow and check out the "CR-V" status. Think I have decided on another Honday CR-V...do you hear a "but" coming?

Today I responded to an email from the TOYOTA dealership I visited the other day & asked the salesperson "why I could "build my RAV4" 4WD, V6, Basic-none of the LIMITED edition frills" on the internet TOYOTA site however couldn't seem to find a dealer willing to sell me a RAV4 V6 AWD this way. Interesting to see what the response is. Think I already know.

Today while driving my CRV home from town on the 4 lane and accelerating-as in "need to stand on it", I realized that I would not be happy with a RAV4 AWD V4. The car just didn't have the extra "umphf" needed in the acceleration department.

:eek: Have you figured out I'm a "speeder" yet?

Penny

·
Registered
129 Posts
The CRV is certainly not a race car either, but it does have good gas mileage which will matter should gas prices go to $4 again.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
543 Posts
The CRV is certainly not a race car either, but it does have good gas mileage which will matter should gas prices go to $4 again.
Agree 100% with the above. Thoughtful planning is necessary if you want the 4-cyl engine to move the 3.4K lbs. vehicle in a spirited manner. You'll just have to learn when to hit your spots. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
What are you guys smoking? It's a terrible engine for this type of vehicle. Horrible power delivery and you really have to feather that accelerator to get the posted mileage. It really feels like it's working hard all the time and it's downright dangerous when you try to pass. It's a beautiful vehicle otherwise but that engine has got to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts