Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New owner of a red 2001 CR-V 2WD with 140k. For only $1900! Really enjoying it so far. Never saw myself owning one, but what a neat little car! My last 97 Accord V6 lasted to about 300k, so I'm looking forward to years of trouble free driving. I do have some questions and concerns.

First thing I did when I purchased was to get the water pump and timing belt done. Including the infamous valve adjustment. Seemed to clear up a slight motor vibration when idling.

Now for the concerns. When highway driving, at about 70, the steering becomes VERY light, at times disconcertingly so. Like a slight hydroplane feeling. At 60, its just fine, but too much faster, it makes me nervous. There's a bit of play in the wheel, maybe an inch or so.

Now I know that the CR-V is a light tall wagon, so obviously its not going to steer like my V6 accord, but I don't think its supposed to steer like that at 70. I do have those pizza cutter stock steel wheels, that might be a contributor, and I'm looking to replace them in the future with a fatter wheel/tire. That may help?

Anyone experience this? Or have any thoughts suggestions?

Thanks!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Crossover suv

(not my actual car, but looks exactly the same)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, congratulations on the good buy! I also picked up a similar crv, totally loving mine. As far as the handling at high speeds go, on stock wheels specs, I can’t speak much on since I switched them out the day after I bought the car. I drove 90 miles or so back home on the original wheels specs and it seemed to drive fine to me! Albeit much different from the 2013 Civic Si I had previously. Although being concerned about the service history, and having too much fun driving this quirky little car back home, I drove back home at 65mph and didn’t experience any issues. I know have 18x8.5 +25 riding on 225x40 tires and the ride, aside from still riding on the originals shocks and springs (which need to be replaced) seems pretty sturdy. The front brakes are another story. The used car dealership I bought it from told me they had replaced the front disks and pads, which they had, but I’m sure they used super cheap parts since I think they’ve since warped in the last 6 months of owning it. I’m upgrading those with vented disks and uprated pads along with stainless steel brake lines, since replacing all of the rear drum components resulted in extremely good results. I hope any of this helps in your decision making, have fun with your V!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.