Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We have been the proud new owners of a beautiful, red 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L for a full seven days. Tonight our spirits were dampened by the engine not starting after not driving it for 3 hours.
The lights and dashboard flickered, but that's it. My husband tried my key fob too, just to be thorough. Nope.
We have been searching for answers and your site seems to fit the bill! We have AAA arriving soon with a new battery to sell us. I'm assuming they will see if a jump start works first.
I'm feeling crest-fallen, to say the least...
Sorry. That was probably more than needed to introduce us. I appreciate this club being here. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
When you say "not starting", do you mean the motor would not crank/turn over (dead) or did the starter crank the motor over but it would not run?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Could be a loose battery terminal.

Many '17 Vs had batteries fail because of software glitches that would drain the batteries. And, some batteries had terminals that were too small so they couldn't be tightened enough...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you crv383 and Carbuff2.

My husband said it didn't turn over and just clicked and the dash dome lights flickered.
The AAA gentleman jump-started the engine and they did other stuff for 10-15 minutes. When they turned the car off it wasn't able to start again. He jumped it again so they could drive back to shop to install a new battery.
The old one was completely drained.
I hope none of that is caused by the problems you mentioned, but we are going to keep that in mind.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Check the TSBs area for the numbers & descriptions of the affected TSBs. Then ask the dealer if they have been applied to YOUR car. (Also ask them if you can be compensated for the bad battery. Is there a warranty on the car?)

Its possible your battery just had a shorted plate inside the battery...I've had it happen a few times over the years.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Carbuff2,
We bought the car As Is. That made me nervous... The extended warranty they offered wouldn't have covered a battery, even if we had bought it.
We have a call in to the dealer now and they will get back to us Monday.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to ask for some compensation especially if it is a Honda dealer! (3rd party dealer, good luck...)

"Dealer Life' is hard on batteries...running the engine for only a minute to move the car around.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
"Dealer Life' is hard on batteries...running the engine for only a minute to move the car around.
Yep and these new CRVs draw about 35ma when fully powered down.... so if they sit on dealers lots for several weeks.. they pretty well drain out the small 51R battery. Then the dealer recharges them. Do that a half a dozen times or so and the battery can be severely compromised.

Plus.. this battery was already a couple years + old... being a 2017... and who knows how well it was maintained by the prior owner, particularly since Honda's dual charge system tends to not full recharge the battery between lots of short trips.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
Hi Carbuff2,
We bought the car As Is. That made me nervous... The extended warranty they offered wouldn't have covered a battery, even if we had bought it.
We have a call in to the dealer now and they will get back to us Monday.

As noted by CarBuff2... check with your local dealer and have them look up the recall/TSB history of your CRV. My dealer in fact checks the recall/TSB logs every time we bring one of our Honda's in for routine maintenance, and if they find one not yet performed.. they will do so.

NO matter where the work was done, it should show up in their online records for your VIN. If the prior owner was dilligent, it's probably up to date.. but the dealer can confirm this for sure and then apply any missing TSBs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts