Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy wife, happy life! Told her about the issues some CR-Vs are having and she still wanted it. So far, 24 hours of ownership, we are impressed with the ride, technology and features. I'm not overly impressed with the front seat cushions, sorta like sitting on a wooden park bench. Hopefully a little seat time will soften them up. I've been very gentle with the throttle, figure there's a 300 mile or so break in period, but even so the motor seems woefully under-powered. It will be interesting to see what it has on tap after the break-in period. The Edit: Title of thread should have been New Owners, praying we won't have the fuel-in-oil issues. I'm a bit dyslexic. :)

Steve & Margo
2018 Honda CR-V EX
2018 Nissan Frontier
2018 Fleetwood Discovery "Alice"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Happy New Year. How do we know if we have the FUEL IN OIL problem with brand new CR-V? Thanks everyone for giving good advice to us new owners.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
Everyone with these engines will have some degree of oil dilution...its a characteristic of Direct Injection engines of all makes.

The issue is that if the level of liquid in the rather small CR-V oil pan gets too high, you could have engine problems. (Some are worried about the reduced engine protection of diluted oil, too.)

You should be monitoring the oil level via the dipstick. Check it NOW to establish a baseline. Continue checking periodically.

If the oil level goes over the orange indicator of the dipstick, bring the car to the dealer to document your issue. The dealer SHOULD at that point replace the oil for free. (Check after the replacement to assure that they do not overfill.)

It is my belief that there will be no long term engine damage as long as oil levels are not allowed to get too high. This means more frequent oil changes and (after the warranty is up) going to a slightly thicker oil to compensate for the gasoline thinning it down.

Enjoy your new Vs, both of you! :Group: WELCOME!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happy New Year! We have a 2018, new in July, it has the problem, received the"fix" in November, but it's not fixed. However, it seemed to only kick in once the temperatures got below 32 Fahrenheit. We drive 16 miles each way. It comes from a heated garage to cold for 7 hours, then back to a heated garage. Another friend of mine has the exact same model LX AWD, same purchase date, but has not problems. If you live in the South, I doubt you'll have an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy New Year! We have a 2018, new in July, it has the problem, received the"fix" in November, but it's not fixed. However, it seemed to only kick in once the temperatures got below 32 Fahrenheit. We drive 16 miles each way. It comes from a heated garage to cold for 7 hours, then back to a heated garage. Another friend of mine has the exact same model LX AWD, same purchase date, but has not problems. If you live in the South, I doubt you'll have an issue.
That's funny. That's the same thing my dealer in Charleston, SC said when I brought this issue to his attention. I ask him, "So what happens when I go to Ohio for a month at a time to take care of elderly parents?". Do we just hope it doesn't happen or just tell the car that is it from SC, so don't have a problem car!

Really strange how Honda is handling this problem.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Paddler - I wouldn't hesitate to take the engine up in rpm as long as you don't make it work hard ie level ground, not up hill. Honda engine's love to rev and you'll want it to get used to those upper rpm's sooner than later. I think the owner's manual has recommendations on how to treat it. Best thing I could recommend is not keeping the rpm constant, even when cruising.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Paddler - I wouldn't hesitate to take the engine up in rpm as long as you don't make it work hard ie level ground, not up hill. Honda engine's love to rev and you'll want it to get used to those upper rpm's sooner than later. I think the owner's manual has recommendations on how to treat it. Best thing I could recommend is not keeping the rpm constant, even when cruising.
20CRVEX13, with a "normal" transmission, I would agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, ours is a CVT. The whole point of one is to keep the engine RPMs in a constant range and the rubber band adjusts to increase/decrease the speed. About the only way to allow for higher than normal revs is to change the transmission into S (Sport) mode. This afternoon, I read in the manual, that for climbing and descending steep grades you put the transmission in L. But the book gave no speed warnings on how fast you can travel in L. So I guess more seat time is required, the sacrifices I have to make in order to insure my beloved's car functions properly. ;)

Added in Edit: The manual also stated no WOT for the first 600 miles but didn't give the usual suggestion about varying the engine speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.