Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2012 CRV and just upgraded from the regular 16" rims to the 18" rims that come with the Touring model. After the rims were put on the dash lights for ABS, traction control, AWD, and what looks like a steering wheel with an exclamation point came on. During the install they broke two lugs and were only able to replace one. I don't know if that could have affected anything. I have to go back on Monday for them to replace the missing one and will have them look at the light issue as well.

I hooked up a code reader, but it came back with nothing. I guess my question is, do you think all of these functions could have been affected by the increase in size, or could it be that I'm missing the one lug? I don't know if any of those functions are off, or if it's just a light issue, but I want to be safe. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have TPMS and if so did you recalibrate it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to put that I bought new TPMS sensors that were installed with the new rims. The TPMS light doesn't come on either.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Need to have the codes read which a regular scanner wont do.

Im gonna guess an ABS sensor got broke as I bad sensor has control of everything your having issues with.

Get the code read and go from there and let us know what they find. I willing to bet its a damage ABS sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to the dealership to have the codes read. Maybe the place that did my tires had one though. I tested the brakes by slamming them at 45mph and the ABS is def. off, I skidded a bit.

For the first lug that broke, the replacement didn't fit. I saw them doing a lot of beating with a mallet, so they could have damaged something. The lights came on as soon as he lowered the car, backed it up about 15 ft. and pumped the brakes. He may have pumped the brakes because of the light. I would imagine if it was a size difference problem it would have taken a bit of driving for all of those lights to come on.

Thanks again for the info. I will post an update when I take it back on Monday. I sure hope it's not because of the size difference because damn, I think these rims look so much better than the plain LX 16" rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, I calculated the overall diameter difference and The new setup is only 0.7 inches larger in diameter. I can't imagine that would throw out all of those lights.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm with H4L on this, they damaged a sensor and that is causing the problem.
Car does look nice with those wheels, and you're right, .7" in diameter isn't going to cause the problem IMO.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Im going to make another guess, its the one that they broke wheel studs off of and had to replace.

Oops, I see you said they broke a lug nut. If they damaged the lug nuts they damaged the stud.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
From reading his post, I'm not sure if it was lug nuts or the studs that broke.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Breaking/damaging a Honda Wheel Bolt is a VERY BIG deal!

I saw them doing a lot of beating with a mallet, so they could have damaged something.
Here is the procedure to replace one from the 2007-10 Service Manual. Notice Hammering with anything is strictly forbidden! It is likely that in addition to whatever is damaged causing the lights, the hub is also damaged by not properly installing new Wheel Bolts? It may be difficult to determine if they were damaged by this shop or by another shop earlier in the vehicle's life? Use of an air-powered wrench on Honda Wheel Bolts can cause severe damage.

WheelBoltReplacement1.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys, I didn't use the correct names. They broke the stud that the lug nut screws on to. We always called them lugs growing up. Anyway, I watched them spend a good amount of time trying to hit the stud in with mallets before getting a parts store to deliver the correct stud. Then another one broke and since I had been there for 4 hours already, I decided to return on Monday for them to fix the second stud. All the lights came on immediately when they lowered the car from the lift, so like the other guys said, they must have damaged the sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Downunder47, the CRV only has 12,000 miles on it and has never had anything but regular maintenance. Maybe they could have been damaged when the tires were rotated? How do I know if the hub has been damaged? What can I tell them when I bring it back on Monday?

Looks really nice - where did you get the rims and how much did it set you back?
Thanks!! I got the rims from HubcapHaven and I think with the TPMS sensors, center caps, and rims, I paid $1,050 all together. Since I went from 16" rims to 18" rims I had to buy new tires too. I took the suggestion of someone here on the board and bought some Continental Purecontact tires which with the install, set me back $760. So about $1,800 all together. I'm going to try and sell the 16" rims and tires as a set.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, could have happened with the rotation.

Downunder47, the CRV only has 12,000 miles on it and has never had anything but regular maintenance. Maybe they could have been damaged when the tires were rotated? How do I know if the hub has been damaged? What can I tell them when I bring it back on Monday?
Could have happened during the rotation, but Who knows? You could take it to a Honda dealer and ask for an assessment, then take that to the tire store and show it to them, and calmly ask that they fix it.

I suspect they will offer to replace the lugs but that is all claiming they do it all the time with no problems. There is a chance they are right. If the lug nuts torque correctly to the specified 80 ft. lbs. and the sensor gets fixed so everything works, and there are no vibrations, especially in the 60 to 65 MPH range, you may well be just fine.

If not, I fear you may be stuck with the expense of having it fixed by a Honda dealer. If so, you can always take the bill to small claims court and sue the tire store. I truly hope it does not come to this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man oh man oh man.....

Sorry in advance if I'm not using the right terms, I will put in quotations the names I am unsure of. I get to Sears this morning at 9:30 and in addition to the tech that worked on my CRV last Thursday, there was the lead guy. He knew about Honda's being sensitive to hammering and I told him that you guys said it was most likely the sensor. He ended up taking the "spindle" off and bringing it to another shop where they had a 12 ton press. I believe at that point they replaced the studs and "bearing or hub". Anyway, it was supposed to be all correct when he returned.

Well they put everything back on, but all of the lights were still on. After that, they tried to pull up codes but there were none even on their machine. They did a "hard reset" that was supposed to clear the lights, but that didn't work either. The last thing they tried was to put my original rims and tires back on to check and see if it really was the size difference. All of the lights stayed on. At this point I had been there for 5.5 hours and was done for the day.

I made them order the ABS sensor and leave my original wheels on. I will go back when the sensor comes in and have them install it. If the lights go off then, I will have them switch back to my new rims and hopefully everything will be good. If the lights don't go off after the ABS sensor is replaced, then I will have to go to the dealership.

I really do hope that I didn't waste $2,000 on new rims and tires if they are incompatible with the vehicle. Even the dealership told me that my new rims would be no problem when I asked before I bought them. I guess they weren't thinking in terms of the car's computer system. If anyone has anything to add or has any questions if I wasn't clear enough, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ditto what HondaPartsGuru posted.

Man oh man oh man...I made them order the ABS sensor and leave my original wheels on. I really do hope that I didn't waste $2,000 on new rims and tires if they are incompatible with the vehicle.
The tires/rims (wheels) are NOT the problem. They broke something.

The good news is you are dealing with a BIG shop, meaning they have plenty of money, and they seem to be interested in getting it right. That they took the hub off and pressed in the new lugs is a good sign.

Making them order the ABS sensor was a good move. If that doesn't fix everything, you have some options, tell them to refund ALL your money; or, ask them which they prefer 1. a Honda dealer tell them how to fix it and they fix it, or 2. a Honda dealer fix it and they pay for it?

After it is fixed to your satisfaction, you can request some concession for all the time you have wasted like a few hundred $ refund, I think they still call it a Customer Satisfaction Adjustment?

Who did the initial rotation?

BTW, I carry a torque wrench at all times and every time anyone touches a wheel I check them. Even Honda dealers are terrible about over torquing lug nuts even when using a torque wrench! Some think that if the wrench clicks it is right, BUT, the nut MUST be moving when it clicks or it can be at any torque!

Since a click-style wrench must be loosened for storage, and setting the torque in the dark, cold, wind, rain, snow, and sleet is a real pain, I use a beam-style wrench with 2 inch extension and a 19mm Deep socket. I put a piece of water pipe insulation around the socket so it doesn't rattle against the spare wheel. And mark the torque scale with a heavy pen at 80 ft. lbs.

From Sears around $25.

TorqueWrench.jpg

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's a very good idea...I'm going to look into getting one...Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry this took so long, I had some complications from a recent surgery. Anyway, I was finally able to bring my CRV back to Sears and you guys were right; it was the ABS sensor. It took them less than 30 minutes to put my new rims/tires back on and change the sensor. After that, no dash lights.

Thanks everyone for all of the info, especially Downunder47. Without ya'll's input I would have most likely had to spend a good bit of time and money at the dealership. If anyone is interested in the original LX rims, tires,TPMS sensors, and center caps (13,000 miles), I'll be selling mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts