Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 2011 honda crv we just put on 20 inch rims with new tires on them. got the tires balanced and an alignment done. when ever we reach high speeds on the freeway the steering wheel would shake/wobble/vibrate. was wondering if anyone has experienced this type of problem. 2011 honda crv 13,xxx miles. thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
...or the rims just weren't made true enough to go fast.
Because of the increase in diameter of the rims the dynamic forces going into the steering system are multiplied over the stock setup wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for your replies. im not sure what kind of balancing they had did but ill give them a call tomorrow. i dont think i have those hub centric rings on them also. not sure what size i need to get/order. if anyone has a size match for 2011 honda crv please lmk. thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you everyone for your replies. i went to the shop to get hub centric rings installed. they said my rims werent hub centric so they replaced my lug nuts with mag shank lugs. took it on the freeway still the same problem. two days ago i went to get the hunter road balance at lex brodies. took it on the freeway and i still vibrates. just not as much as before so i guess you can say that balancing sort of helped. i guess the Helo rims i got just aint made to handle high speeds?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
hello people; You might want to move your wheels around and see if it helps. Front to back and left to right. I'm new to AWD so give me a break. On my Buick I got new tires last year and I'm still chasing a virbration. I've had the road force done but I havn't moved the wheels around yet. The car doesn't come out in the bad months but the good weather will be here soon.
have fun
IBBY

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
so i need to just tell them to diagnose my tires? or ask them for another hunter balancing? thanks!
You don't say if the tires and wheels were bought and installed at the same location, if they were, the shop should be doing everything they can to sort this out even if they need to acquire an additional wheel and/or tire.
You stated earlier that the steering wheel vibrates/shakes, if it is still felt in the steering, I would move one tire/wheel assembly to the rear then test drive. If the steering shake is gone, you have found which tire/wheel has the problem, if not, swap the other side to the rear and drive again. Once it can be isolated to a specific assembly, then further checks should be done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're not using hub centric rings then you will get vibration/wobble at high speeds even with those lugs you put on. Do it right and get hub centric rings installed and make sure you get the right size to fit the aftermarket rims you got.

I'm running 20" Lexani and have zero issues at high speeds using hub centric rings and balancing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks everyone for the advice. the place i went to get the hub centric rings said that my rims werent hub centric so instead they replaced my lugs with mag shanks. here are the rims i got http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/WheelBrands.cfm?Brand=88 i wasnt able to get my safety check since the tpms light came on since putting the rims on. the dealer said i would have to put my stock rims on for the light to come off and pass for safety check which i know he could just reset the light and pass me. i will try to move the tires around to isolate the problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.