Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am attempting to change the rear rotors and pads, and seem to be running into an issue with the rotors. If I mount the rotors and screw them down using the two phillips head screws, I cannot turn the hub by hand. If I loosen the screws a turn, I can turn them, but there is resistance. The calipers are not mounted at this point.

The rotors are the basic aftermarket rotors from Powerstop. Prior to mounting the rotors, I can freely turn the wheel hub, both with the old rotors mounted and without the rotors at all. The emergency brakes are fully retracted, and I've adjusted them all the way in and loosened the cable at the pedal to make sure.

I am wondering if the rotors have some manufacturing defect. This doesn't sound normal to me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I am thinking of just returning the rotors (if I even can), and either getting something local, like centrics, or just sucking it up and going OEM.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It could be defective rotors or the emergency brake shoes are not square in the center. Have you done the opposite side? Have you tried another rotor or the other rotor you have? Let me know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I didn't enjoy my power stop rear rotors on my jeep so I used OEM. The front does the most in braking anyway so I think I would stick with inexpensive factory rotors. Use the same ceramic pads as you use up front though. I did this with my daughters 2005 V as well.

On the Jeep the OEM rotors wouldn't even fit over the Powerstop rotors when pads were inserted. They were just too wide. Best of luck.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It could be defective rotors or the emergency brake shoes are not square in the center. Have you done the opposite side? Have you tried another rotor or the other rotor you have? Let me know.
Both sides exhibit the same behavior. I set and released the emergency brake, which I assumed would center it, but it didn't help. I'm going to try another set of rotors tomorrow. I'll report if I have any success.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Son of a ... The rotors were defective. It took a bit to figure out since I just assumed I was doing something wrong. Basically, there is a groove on the back of the rotor that the backing plate goes into. The groove was too shallow, and when the rotor was tightened down it rubbed against the backing plate. The rotors were otherwise correct, so it wasn't the wrong part, but a defect.

I'd say watch out for PowerStop rotors.

Thanks for the responses.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts