Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just had a new starter installed on his 2008 Honda CRV (2WD) and this is the only sound that can be heard when we turn the key to start the engine. (see video).

Just before the new starter was installed the serpentine belt had snapped and was replaced along with the alternator which too had stopped working. The car was operational after the new belt and alternator for one day when it suddenly had the starter issue.
With the old starter only a click could be heard but with the new starter this is the new sound but no crank.
BTW the key is good and no green key flashing light on the dashboard which suggests the immobilizer recognizes the key.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
That almost sounds as though the starter solenoid is not pushing the gear to the flywheel.

I ordered a Denso remanufactured starter through Rock Auto and it worked perfectly. I don't trust anything from the chain automotive stores. A lot of it is junk.

Reactions: Lochinvar

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,700 Posts
That almost sounds as though the starter solenoid is not pushing the gear to the flywheel.

I ordered a Denso remanufactured starter through Rock Auto and it worked perfectly. I don't trust anything from the chain automotive stores. A lot of it is junk.
My thoughts too. The starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel, check the solenoid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thoughts too. The starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel, check the solenoid.
are you saying that the starter is bad and I should replace it or could it be a wiring problem. It's a Duralast starter from AutoZone.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,489 Posts
Was it a new starter or remanufactured??
It does sound like the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the flywheel.
Bring the starter back to Autozone and get replacement.
More than likely they will want to test it first.
Get another one. Try it

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,489 Posts
I think that import starter meant the starter is for an import (Japanese vehicle).
And, it doesn't mean the starter is imported.
If you still have the box it came it then it must say whether it is remanufactured or new.
Remanufactured always seem, to me, to be taking a chance.
Still much cheaper than new.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,700 Posts
are you saying that the starter is bad and I should replace it or could it be a wiring problem. It's a Duralast starter from AutoZone.
Not likely to be a wiring problem as it's spinning. I'd triple check the mounting, make sure everything's oriented correctly, nothing seems to be binding and everything's lubed sufficiently. AutoZone should stand behind it though, can you show them your video?
It's barely possible you have enough current to spin the motor without load but not enough to pull things in (I'll say pull in the solenoid, but I'm not certain there is one), easily checked though, check the battery state or jump it.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
I've never seen a Duralast starter that didn't become defective very quickly. The starter solenoid does two jobs. It connects the motor to the flywheel, and it connects the battery to the motor. Usually the Duralast starters have Mitsubishi solenoids on them and those will usually fail to connect the battery to the starter motor.

Obviously that's not exactly your problem, but I would throw out my two cents that Duralast starters, or any starter that features a Mitsubishi solenoid, is probably not worth buying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts