Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX Silver
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the front strut assemblies on my 2001 CR-V. The front right installed with no problems. On the front left, the tab on the new strut did not align with the notch on the top of the suspension fork. It's misaligned by about 30 degrees. There is a 1mm gap because the strut won't seat all the way in the suspension fork.

Is this a big problem? Would this be OK to leave "as is" and drive normally? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Im having the exact same problem as above, a machine shop had the springs pressed/placed and now the tab wont align completely. I tired easing the tension with some lightweight spring tensioners and lubing the top part of the strut and then twisting the thing in place, with no avail. The most annoying thing ever... How important is aligning the tab for the strut to function?

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX Silver
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Im having the exact same problem as above, a machine shop had the springs pressed/placed and now the tab wont align completely. I tired easing the tension with some lightweight spring tensioners and lubing the top part of the strut and then twisting the thing in place, with no avail. The most annoying thing ever... How important is aligning the tab for the strut to function?
I ended up returning the defective strut assembly and having a new one sent. The new one fit and aligned perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah, my struts are re-used ones, only bought new springs, so it should'nt be anything wrong with 'em. I think the fault happened at the shop when they assembled the whole strut and missed to align the "tab" with the two threaded studs at the top. Is it a safety issue to drive with them like this?

·
Registered
2001 CR-V LX Silver
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, my struts are re-used ones, only bought new springs, so it should'nt be anything wrong with 'em. I think the fault happened at the shop when they assembled the whole strut and missed to align the "tab" with the two threaded studs at the top. Is it a safety issue to drive with them like this?
I don't know. Can the shop re-do that strut so the tab aligns with the slot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, i guess its the sensible thing to so. Its just more labour for me and them, which means more cost for me... and Im getting sick of this old car already. Im just looking at it thinking whats its purpose? Like, what if i just smash it and make fork and strut go perfectly flat to each other lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went at it again tonight, and to anyone who comes across the same problem this is how I solved it:

Put everything together as normal and tighten things up just a bit. Then loosen the 14mm (?) bolt that pinches the fork and strut together and twist the strut with a big pair of pliers. When you twist it enough the upwards force coming from the wishbone will push the whole thing together. Tighten the 14 mm bolt and done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts