Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice and tips from you'll guys.

I'm currently looking to purchase a new SUV. I'm currently owning a Honda CRV EX-L 2009 Year model that has done 95,000 Kms. Due to the high maintenance costs I plan to sell it and purchase a new SUV. Do you think this is a good idea?

If so please advise me on the best options from the below SUV 2019 models list.
1) Honda CRV
2) Mazda CX-5
3) Hyundai Tucson
4) Kia Sportage
5) Haval H6
6) Geely Emgrand X7
7) GAC GS7
8) GAC GS4
9) Cherry Tiggo 7
10) Cherry Tiggo 8

·
Registered
700 Posts
CR-V and CX-5 are probably the top choices, as you have subconsciously put them in order. Both are nicer than the next obvious Korean couple.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

I'm currently looking to purchase a new SUV. I'm currently owning a Honda CRV EX-L 2009 Year model that has done 95,000 Kms. Due to the high maintenance costs I plan to sell it and purchase a new SUV. Do you think this is a good idea?

1) Honda CRV
2) Mazda CX-5
3) Hyundai Tucson
4) Kia Sportage
5) Haval H6
6) Geely Emgrand X7
7) GAC GS7
8) GAC GS4
9) Cherry Tiggo 7
10) Cherry Tiggo 8
why not check out the subaru forester.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like the Honda CR-V the most ha! not surprised it is a CR-V forum after all plus after owning for almost seven years I haven't had any major issues with it, and between the Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester , I think it would be a close tie, slightly leaning towards the Subaru though since I have had two RAV4s already and would like to see what owning a Subaru would be like. Space in the CR-V is king vs the two I can tell you. The Hyundai and Kia are pretty old now although recently updated , I would skip on them for now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If my math is correct the current vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it. For a CR-V that is barely broken in. What kind of issues and expenses are you having that make up the "high maintenance costs"?

I understand the vehicle is 10 years old but at this point there is no depreciation, taxes and insurance should be minimal. If it has been properly maintained it still has another 100,000 miles of useful life and would be one of the cheapest vehicles to run on the planet.

Now, if you just want something new to drive and can write out the check for the new ride go for it!

Good Luck with your decision!

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If my math is correct the current vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it. For a CR-V that is barely broken in. What kind of issues and expenses are you having that make up the "high maintenance costs"?

I understand the vehicle is 10 years old but at this point there is no depreciation, taxes and insurance should be minimal. If it has been properly maintained it still has another 100,000 miles of useful life and would be one of the cheapest vehicles to run on the planet.

Now, if you just want something new to drive and can write out the check for the new ride go for it!

Good Luck with your decision!
Hi man,

Sorry, I replied late. I had high maintenance costs with the suspension, tie rods and bushes, transmission fluid leak, tensioner, and serpentine belt.
I have a question about the new Honda CRV in comparison to other SUV brands on the market. Please answer my questions.
From the below list which would be more reliable than Honda CRV. Please be frank in your responses and describe to me the reasons for choosing the brands/models over the other.

I have researched the market and found these vehicles are similar to Honda CRV overall.
-Mazda CX5 2020
-Toyota RAV4
-MG HS 2020 Full Option https://www.mg-bahrain.com/new-cars/mghs/
-Haval H6 2020 Full Option
-Geely Emgrand X7 Sport
-Borgward BX5
-Borgward BX7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Compare
Good article on Mazda vs crv. I would go with the Mazda. Sharp looking, stylish, quick. Slightly better safety rating. Mazda is on the way up as I feel Honda is slipping a little. Especially with the oil diluted issue.
Skip the MG since has GM motors. Nothing exciting there.

·
Registered
17 Posts

1) Honda CRV
2) Mazda CX-5
3) Hyundai Tucson
4) Kia Sportage
5) Haval H6
6) Geely Emgrand X7
7) GAC GS7
8) GAC GS4
9) Cherry Tiggo 7
10) Cherry Tiggo 8
Mazda will be my next vehicle ...moving on from Honda...after the oil dilution issues

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently purchased a 2020 CR-V Hybrid. I went through the internet via Truecar and went directly to the dealership's General Manager to avoid the sales person "dance". Net, I paid $34,600 plus tax, license and dealer document fee vs. sticker price of $37,095. Not a bad price!

·
2,764 Posts

1) Honda CRV
2) Mazda CX-5
3) Hyundai Tucson
4) Kia Sportage
5) Haval H6
6) Geely Emgrand X7
7) GAC GS7
8) GAC GS4
9) Cherry Tiggo 7
10) Cherry Tiggo 8
Hi man,

Sorry, I replied late. I had high maintenance costs with the suspension, tie rods and bushes, transmission fluid leak, tensioner, and serpentine belt.
I have a question about the new Honda CRV in comparison to other SUV brands on the market. Please answer my questions.
From the below list which would be more reliable than Honda CRV. Please be frank in your responses and describe to me the reasons for choosing the brands/models over the other.

No, I don't think it is a good idea at all. You have already paid these costs, and that is not all that much over the time you've owned the '09. In fact it's minimal. You are now into the part of the ownership of the CR-V where you stand to benefit the most from keeping it and driving it for at least another 100k miles or more. There is literally no chance you will come out ahead by buying a new vehicle. NONE! The car is just now well broken in and in its prime. It would be a poor financial decision to do otherwise than keep it and get your money's worth. That is not opinion, it's fact. Be smart.

Another thing to look at is the fact that you will not find a new model of any vehicle that is as good as what you have. New models are all rife with issues and are way overpriced. Not to mention that it will be just a whole new set of maintenance issues. There are a hundred reasons not to do it. So be honest. If you still insist on getting a new car, it's because you have the fever, because it is definitely not the smart thing to do. It would be a huge waste of a lot more money. No offense. Just the truth.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Okay, have fun with the notoriously bad Mazda transmissions.
Another one of your "because I say so" replies, with no source?

Here are a couple documented reliability studies, which state otherwise. I wait in suspense, for your reply on how biased and manipulated they are. 😄

"Lexus and Toyota -- which rely on older transmissions in many of their models -- were the best-performing brands in the survey. Lexus or Toyota has topped the survey since 2011. Audi, Mazda and Subaru rounded out the top five."

"3. Honda Civic
The world’s best-selling car also has a reputation as one of the most problematic. The Honda Civic has developed notoriety for throwing on the Check Engine Light right before the transmission fails. Just to be clear, the problem is the transmission."

·
2,764 Posts
Another one of your "because I say so" replies, with no source?

Here are a couple documented reliability studies, which state otherwise. I wait in suspense, for your reply on how biased and manipulated they are. 😄

"Lexus and Toyota -- which rely on older transmissions in many of their models -- were the best-performing brands in the survey. Lexus or Toyota has topped the survey since 2011. Audi, Mazda and Subaru rounded out the top five."

"3. Honda Civic
The world’s best-selling car also has a reputation as one of the most problematic. The Honda Civic has developed notoriety for throwing on the Check Engine Light right before the transmission fails. Just to be clear, the problem is the transmission."

[/URL]
Consumer Reports is just another one of the commercial "buyer's guide" type of automotive news media out there. All we need to do here is read the sentence to know how false it is. Lexus is at the top, that one is easy. Toyota? No. Toyota is far worse than Honda, always has been. They have one good thing going for them - they make their own transmissions. It's the rest of their cars that's the problem. I know, I've owned several. Loved 'em, but they were a pain. The rest is just ludicrous. Audi? Some of the worst junk ever made. They are like a German Volvo. Audi does know how to make a car with top-flight driving feel, ride, and handling, but mechanically, they are just glorified VWs. Mazda is the super-cheapo Japanese brand. Subaru is the VW of Japan. Both are notorious for terrible transmissions - Add Nissan, and all their transmissions come from the same maker, who has the planet's worst record. Subaru's flat 4's are beautiful, but they just don't hold up.

Jason Unrau? Who the heck is that? I trust the mechanics I know and have known for a lifetime, and my own experiences as a mechanic and an owner, with these brands, well enough to know. I have heard more, actually, about Odyssey transmissions than Civic ones, but yes, Honda has had such issues for always, as well as some earlier CR-V transmissions. It's why I've always advocated manual transmissions.

Lexus is literally the only car on that list above that is worthy. Honda should be #2. The rest? Nah. Your source material is "documented studies" from the news media? In this day and age you still believe any of the poison they spew? Well, tell ya what. Go buy a Mazda, or an Audi, or a Subaru, and report back in five years. I know a bunch of owners of these vehicles who wish they had paid more attention and chosen differently, instead of going on cookie-cutter reviews and other so-called "expert testimony" from these sources, which are in reality worthless, as they are just sales pitches.

There. How'd I do?

·
2,764 Posts
As you certainly proved mine, it's the least I can do. Folks who rely on this kind of information, which I call "retail reviews," get just what they should.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As you certainly proved mine, it's the least I can do. Folks who rely on this kind of information, which I call "retail reviews," get just what they should.
Why are you wasting your time here? You should consider starting your own reliability publication. Maybe call it "Kloker's Corner", where people living under a rock can go and get advice without needing any data to back it. I'm sure it will be a hit! :ROFLMAO:

·
2,764 Posts
I learned long ago that it;s pointless to try and edumicate folks who have no experience in life (who never learned any common sense or skills from their parents or anyone who actually knew what they were doing) and try to cover for that with internet data. While comical, It simply isn't a substitute, but obviously there is no convincing them. It used to be that most people would never want that light to shine on them, but these days it seems they are proud of it. I think it's just poor education, especially in spelling. Which is why they confuse "adult" with "a dolt." They may sound the same, but they are not. The best one can do with those folks is leave them to their own devices. Maybe when they have failed enough they will try something different.

That's admittedly darkly cynical, but unfortunately nowadays it's too prevalent a condition, which makes it very difficult to arrive at any other conclusion. It's sad that our society has deteriorated this badly, and even sadder that there is probably no path of return from it. Short of a master reset, like civil war. That's not a political rant, just common observation.

Meanwhile, why are you here? Seems like you just invented your own bright future!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Subaru ever straightened out head gasket issues?
Watch getting something that will require running premium fuel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts