Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I'll start out by saying I have a great wife.
I've been lusting over replacing the factory head unit in the crv since I bought it last March. But money needed to go other places and I really wanted to give the factory system a good try...Well since the last ios upgrade on my iphone 6+ the radio has been wonkier that before...Pandora took over to the point where I had to delete it from the phone to get music, podcasts, audible to work correctly. Bluetooth and hard wire connect never played nice and using bluetooth for audio meant a lower volume level compared to hard wire connect and the interface just didn't play nice at all with the iphone.

I bought an Alpine iLX-007 head unit...uses Car Play... I did a lot of research online, forums, Google searches for problems, reviews, etc. and found few real complaints...some seemed more install problems that device problems.

Head Unit: Alpine iLX-007
Amp: JL Audio HX280/4 four channel amp bridged for the fronts only.
Front Speakers: JL Audio C2-650X Evolution
Parts: BHA1729 harness, PAC SWI-RC Wheel Control Interface & Metra 95-7802CH Dash Kit

It works extremely well. The head unit works as I had hoped it would...basically it is my iphone on steroids... The sound is also great...dynamic range and sound stage are better than I had hoped. I have tweaked the audio settings and want to play with Alpines "Tune It" app but other than having a cool toy to play with it is not really needed.
I like how the phone system works...I can either use Siri, which works great...or use the touch controls to select contacts, etc. I really like being able to send and receive text messages...it is very cool to listen to a text message...funny to hear "blue heart", etc. when my wife texts me.

Nearly all of the steering wheel controls work...I can not set the clock though I have some limited access to the clock setting. I have also lost the neat little compass. The install tech said to bring the car back in tomorrow with the factory radio so he can see if he can restore the clock and compass. I told him to give it a try but not to kill himself. Other than that the little dash display works showing a picture or the gas mileage/range...that is it...

I have a nice little bypass rocker switch on the left side of the shifter box...that little panel on each side...so I can access the advanced/video settings/etc. without having to engage the parking brake...sweet...I have the usb plug next to it...

I don't care about the cord having to be used all the time I'm using Car Play but for what I get it is a small price to pay.

Overall I'm very satisfied and very happy with the system. In the future, possibly end of year, I'm still considering replacing the little amp with a better JL Audio 4 channel bridging the rear channels to my MB Quart 10" sub in a sealed box...I miss that sub, it is very tight and has just enough thump to satisfy my needs. I had it sitting on the floor of the back seat in my Accord.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post.
Happy New Year everyone !

Pictures:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I have no pics of the install. I had it done while I drank ice coffee and read...ahhh
The current amp is a tiny thing that sits behind the head unit. I do not have a sub at this time.

The upgrade of a new sub, which will go under the passenger seat on the floor, will cost around $500.00 installed...I have the sub though I "might" replace the sub with a JL model and "retire" the 15 year old MB Quart 10 incher...if I feel it needs replacing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also write up this is my next thing to upgrade in the CRV. I want better audio I wanted to know how is the bluetooth audio sound quality?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Alpine iLX-007 does not use Bluetooth. The CarPlay system uses iphone's Siri for telly calls and text messages. This also means there is no Bluetooth audio...the iphone has to be connected via the fire wire/usb cord.

This may be a deal killer for some but I don't have a problem with it as I've been using some sort of usb cord for years.

Anyone desiring to replace their head unit should think carefully on what features are "must haves".

For a relatively small cost, compared to most nav units, I have a nav unit, great head unit and basically a fully featured iphone for a head unit all at the cost of a cord.

I do have a few complaints...a bit too harsh...or rather "improvements" I'd like to see on Car Play.
1: Add album art, etc. when playing music from the iphone...the screen is very bland with just the alpha numeric display of the song name, etc.
2: Same basic complaint for FM/Am...same basic display
3: Same for podcasts.
Considering this is a 7" screen there is a lot of opportunity for a great display but it is so bland and boring.
4: Allow the movement of app icons...they are fixed...I'd love to be able to customize the placement of the app icons so my favorites are on page 1.

Relatively small/minor complaints but if they improved the display and gave us some customization it would make it a much better device.
All in all I really like this head unit. It lives up to the Alpine reputation I've always been a fan of.

Good luck to you and keep us informed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds good I did do some research and I do want bluetooth. I am trying to find something that wont break the bank and be able to have navi as a plus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts