Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new recall on driver's side air bag inflators in 97 - 2001 Hondas and Acuras. Yes, they are made by Takata and they will either explode sending shrapnel through the passenger compartment or not deploy fully - either situation is dangerous and can result in serious injury or death. Honda does not have the parts to fix the problem and I have read reports saying it may be a year before they even begin making repairs. I called my dealership and the Honda National Customer service asking for details and about getting a loaner car until repairs are made. The dealership referred me to National Customer Service who showed no concern at all for my safety when I asked about a loaner vehicle. When I asked if I was supposed to drive a vehicle with an explosive device 1 foot from my body until they get their supply problems fixed - she replied yes. I informed her that this was unacceptable customer service and that Honda had lost a customer. She could have cared less and showed no concern for my safety at all. "We have no plans at this time to provide loaner vehicles to customers. The dealership may provide one when you take your car in to have the problem fixed". I wanted to say "Yeah - if I don't die first in your defective vehicle" - but I bit my tongue and decided to send the following complaint to the NTSB...

"My 2000 Honda CRV has been recalled for a faulty drivers air bag inflator than can explode and send shrapnel at the driver causing severe injuries or death. Honda does not have the parts to fix this problem and the dealership and the manufacturer are refusing to supply loaner cars while owners wait for repairs. We are expected to drive around in a car that has a potential bomb sitting 1 foot from our body due to their defective product. They should be required to provide loaner vehicles while they solve their logistical problems - not ask their customers to play Russian roulette with an explosive device. I contacted my local dealership and the manufacturer as soon as I was advised about this problem - they showed no real concern for my safety - this is just wrong!"

Be advised - Honda cares about sales - not your safety. They have made their last sale to me! Now I have to make an insane decision - do I take my chances playing Russian roulette with an explosive device sitting in my lap or do I pull the plug on my airbag - neither decision is a good or one I am looking forward to doing. Thanks for nothing Honda - it will be Toyota from now on in our family.

Info on the recall can be found at the NTSB site, SaferCar and The Honda Recall site. Be sure to read the associated documents listed below the recall notice to get the background info and timeline for expected repairs. Not promising at all,

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,196 Posts
Closing, this thread is almost 2 years old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.