Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One tire got screwed and was not repairable. 26,000 miles on the odometer, I was hoping to get ~30,000 miles out of the OEM set of Hankook Kinergy tires.

Did some research and found the Pirelli Scorpion Verde had good reviews on Tire Rack. Called my local tire shop and got a set installed. Initial impressions are overall very good. The positives are the tires are about as quiet as the OEM tires even though the rubber compound is much harder than the OEM tires. The tires have a bit stiffer side wall which gives the CR-V good steering characteristics, very good in the rain.

The only bad thing I can say about the Scorpion Verde is the ride is a bit more harsh, but that's the trade of of having the stiffer side wall. It's most noticeable on rough pavement, but on smooth pavement they track very well and feel really good. I've tested them up to triple digit numbers (just want to check the balance) and they felt fine.

My only complaints with OEM tires where they wore fast (soft compound and probably only started with 9/32nds tread depth) and did flex a bit when pushed. The Scorpion Verde is a better tire than the OEM tires but I can't say it was a night and day difference.

I don't live in a snowy area so snow/ice traction was no concern to me. I had narrowed the tire choices down to either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the Continental TrueContact, both tires are fairly new to the market so they both have the latest in rubber compounds. I chose the Pirelli tires because they were a few buck cheaper but would probably have been just as happy with the Continentals. Ironically, after I got home from getting the tires installed, I got an email from Continental that they just started offering a $70 rebate on the TrueContact. Oh well.

Here are some pictures of the root cause of needing new tires sooner than anticipated.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Here are some pictures of the root cause of needing new tires sooner than anticipated.

That a 1/4" bolt? It's a long monster though. That should have been repairable unless it tore up the tire inside.

I actually had something very similar (exact same position in the tread in fact) with my left front tire about a month after I got my CRV. Also Hankook Kinergy tires. The bolt in my case was only 1 inch long though. America's tire evaluated it and said it could be repaired and they did exactly that. Been running on the repair now for almost 2 years without incident.

In your case, i can see from your tread markers you are about due for new ones anyway... so best to do what you did and replace.

The Scorpions look nice, but I don't know anything about them. I'll look them up and learn more about them, but most likely will go with Michelin Defenders when I need to replace. Michelins have always been outstanding on my Hondas.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That a 1/4" bolt? It's a long monster though. That should have been repairable unless it tore up the tire inside.
Most tire shops won't touch that. They would in the past, but I had the exact same issue a couple years ago and they showed me this:

Those Pirelli Scorpions are excellent tires. We had them on my wife's 2010 CR-V after her Defender's were damaged by a nail (see above). They were much quieter that the Michelin's, which were 10x better than the OEM's.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Most tire shops won't touch that. They would in the past, but I had the exact same issue a couple years ago and they showed me this:

Those Pirelli Scorpions are excellent tires. We had them on my wife's 2010 CR-V after her Defender's were damaged by a nail (see above). They were much quieter that the Michelin's, which were 10x better than the OEM's.
Interesting.

Here is America's Tire criteria (and tire repairs are always free, regardless if you bought the tire from them or not). Great company, competitive with Costco on pricing, and much faster to get in and out of the shop.

Source: https://www.americastire.com/learn/tire-repair

Admittedly, I barely made the criteria... being a 1/4 inch bolt and was just under an inch from their boundary limit. :eek: Otherwise, I would have been ponying up for a brand new Hankook with only a few hundred miles on my CRV. The one time I hate having AWD.. since it forces you to use matched tires.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Wow your lucky the bolt did not crack the rim. I have seem something like that before and the steel bolt damaged the inside of the rim so badly that it leaked air and had to be thrown out.

Reactions: S2k_Dude

·
Registered
167 Posts
Agree on the Scorpions being a good tire. Replaced a set of Michelin MXM4's on my 2013 RDX with them and was much happier with the Pirelli's. They'll be on my Touring soon.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
Do you have links to the Pirelli and Continental ones you were looking over at tire rack? quite a few variations there. I find the OEM Hankooks fairly loud over anything but smooth asphalt which is why I was leaning towards Michell when they have the promo.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow your lucky the bolt did not crack the rim. I have seem something like that before and the steel bolt damaged the inside of the rim so badly that it leaked air and had to be thrown out.
Exactly what I was thinking!!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
One tire got screwed and was not repairable. 26,000 miles on the odometer, I was hoping to get ~30,000 miles out of the OEM set of Hankook Kinergy tires.

Did some research and found the Pirelli Scorpion Verde had good reviews on Tire Rack. Called my local tire shop and got a set installed. Initial impressions are overall very good. The positives are the tires are about as quiet as the OEM tires even though the rubber compound is much harder than the OEM tires. The tires have a bit stiffer side wall which gives the CR-V good steering characteristics, very good in the rain.

The only bad thing I can say about the Scorpion Verde is the ride is a bit more harsh, but that's the trade of of having the stiffer side wall. It's most noticeable on rough pavement, but on smooth pavement they track very well and feel really good. I've tested them up to triple digit numbers (just want to check the balance) and they felt fine.

My only complaints with OEM tires where they wore fast (soft compound and probably only started with 9/32nds tread depth) and did flex a bit when pushed. The Scorpion Verde is a better tire than the OEM tires but I can't say it was a night and day difference.

I don't live in a snowy area so snow/ice traction was no concern to me. I had narrowed the tire choices down to either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the Continental TrueContact, both tires are fairly new to the market so they both have the latest in rubber compounds. I chose the Pirelli tires because they were a few buck cheaper but would probably have been just as happy with the Continentals. Ironically, after I got home from getting the tires installed, I got an email from Continental that they just started offering a $70 rebate on the TrueContact. Oh well.

michelin crossclimate

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I actually had something very similar (exact same position in the tread in fact) with my left front tire about a month after I got my CRV. Also Hankook Kinergy tires. The bolt in my case was only 1 inch long though. America's tire evaluated it and said it could be repaired and they did exactly that. Been running on the repair now for almost 2 years without incident.

In your case, i can see from your tread markers you are about due for new ones anyway... so best to do what you did and replace.

The Scorpions look nice, but I don't know anything about them. I'll look them up and learn more about them, but most likely will go with Michelin Defenders when I need to replace. Michelins have always been outstanding on my Hondas.
The hole is even bigger than you see in the photo, and cut through on and angle. The bolt also tore into the steel belt, surprising amount of damage given she only drove the car a few hundred feet after hearing a loud clicking sound.

Luckily no damage to the wheel, which I'm very thankful for. A week earlier my wife turned into a curb going into a neighborhood, damaged the right front wheel, since the CR-V is still like new I decided to go ahead and replace the wheel on that side.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the Pirelli Scorpion verde all season plus on our 2018 Odyssey. Since these are an SUV tire, I was worried that the tires would be noisy or stiff. Fortunately, the tires have neither of these problems.

Plus, snow performance transformed from downright scary with the OEM tires to quite capable with the new tires.

·
Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
171 Posts
My wife's old 07 V took a thick piece of wire at a 45 degree angle about that long years ago on her OEM Continentals. Plugged it with a "rope" and drove it to the wear bars. Yeah, I was lucky. Also had a motorcycle with two "rope" plugs in the rear with no problems......

·
Registered
415 Posts
The hole is even bigger than you see in the photo, and cut through on and angle. The bolt also tore into the steel belt, surprising amount of damage given she only drove the car a few hundred feet after hearing a loud clicking sound.

Luckily no damage to the wheel, which I'm very thankful for. A week earlier my wife turned into a curb going into a neighborhood, damaged the right front wheel, since the CR-V is still like new I decided to go ahead and replace the wheel on that side.
that is one long nut and bolt thing. How the heck it got all the way into the tire is beyond me.... must be protruding quite a bit from some opening and your tire just ate it.

i used to have this problem with the wife, for some reason she would slide the tires on the side of curbs. thank goodness she learned to be mindfull of where and how she treats the tires now after I showed her what shes doing to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would honestly swear by the Continental Altimax RT43's they are amazing tires that are great in any conditions! I live in a snowy area and they are good for that too. They ride pretty nice too. I've been driving since I bought my '17 because I did a trade with my independent mechanic when I was about to pick up the car, so my Kinergy's only had like 100miles on them. I think he re-sold them for something.
I have about 12800 on the RT43's currently and they still almost look new!
That's my 2 cents!

--Ben

·
Registered
95 Posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts