Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a 92 civic hb with a Frankenstein motor and built up a 2000 civic sedan with a lsvtec I personally built. My knowledge doesnt extend into the k series motors as I went in Camaro shortly after.

But circumstances dictate that I would like to get into a crv now. I have narrowed my selection to a 1998 crv manual with 250k miles. I'm a diesel tech with my own tools and shop so the high mileage of the motor/trans doesnt scare me. That and I planned on either lsvtec again or just boost by next year.

But recently a 2005 crv auto popped up for 2500 and looks in great shape w ou th 230k miles on it. From what I gather its tougher to mod but already comes with decent power.

I LOVE stick but the wife cant drive stick. So I'm stuck. Would the 05 with auto be a better option or stick with the 98 manual? I plan to make this my daily driver/camping trailing rig with twice a year 400 mile journey. Note I didnt say 4x4 as I have a 2000 durango built for wheeling and trailer pulling but I want to do light exploring/hard to reach fishing areas while camping. Everything i have read I'm confident i want a crv for these needs but just curious of preference most of you experienced with the k motors.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd get the 05. Our 2012 has the electric AWD (new for 2012) which engages as soon as you hit the gas and disengages when you are cruising. The hydraulic system engages when it starts to slip. I've taken our CUV (camping utility vehicle lol) to our camping site by the pond and down our muddy road no problem. The older CR-Vs are also perfect camping utility vehicles ;) With regard to the motor, the K24 we have is a good series. There have been some TSBs here and there (noisy VTC gear), but all in all, a reliable engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K thanks a lot. I got a trip coming up soon and I notice there are only 2 manuals in my price range from one state to another lol. EVERYTHING else is automatic. So Im looking between 97 and 06. I see that the K was in 02-06. So is there any particular year to avoid from 02-06?

·
2,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I looked long and hard for an '05-'06 manual, but after a year I gave up. Wound up with an '07 AWD AT because after all those others it was pristine. It's really all about the specific car and its condition, and the deal, of course. The manuals are few in the US. I would still buy one today if I could find one, but it just ain't happening around here. I did find an '08 Element with a 5-speed but it was black and had too many miles on it for the price, or I would have jumped on it. Can't do black in Texas, where the Sun lives.

I'd lean more towards the '05-'06 than the '02-'04 due to the earlier A/C and AT issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info.

I did find a 02 Manual about 250 miles away with a sunroof. Otherwise the ONLY other manual I can find is where I live and it's a 98. Got a couple 05 on hook though I'm gonna check out. I might just go with the Auto in case something happens and my wife has to drive lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope you're still reading this....
What are the main issues with the A/C and Trans?

Reason I'm asking is I found a pretty nice looking one with Sunroof (auto) with decent miles 2002. And in my favorite color too boot. Also has Tow Hitch (Dont know if they were standard) I do plan on pulling a 4'x5' trailer for camping from time to time (under 600 lbs total weight).

I'm 609 Certified with specialty in Prevost and Van Hool HVAC. Auto Trans are my weak spot but got basic knowledge (Solenoids/valves)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts