Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just joined, 8/26/19. 2 months ago I joined the simiar Honda Owner's Club. I'm looking for ways to use Google Maps on my 2016 Touring trim's Infotainment screen, although I won't take delivery of my '16 CR-V until Thursday. I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Smartphone but could not connect it to my (totaled) 2015 CR-V's Infortainment system, except for Bluetooth telephone calls and HondaLink, which did not link Google Maps. Not even with HDMI cable. Any advice would be appreciated, including 3rd party software/hardware. Yes, I know Amertican Honda Motors abandoned any improvements on the 2015-16 Navigation OS (except annual map updates) on rollout. No, I won't rehash its shortcomings.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The 2015 and 2016 CR-Vs are basically the same, so any limitations in the 2015 will most likely exist in the 2016.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Um, I knew that.Anyone ever get Mirrorlink to work on the Samsun Galaxy J series smartpho e? That's support to put your phone's Google Maps on the Infotainment screen--but not mine.
I've just joined, 8/26/19. 2 months ago I joined the simiar Honda Owner's Club. I'm looking for ways to use Google Maps on my 2016 Touring trim's Infotainment screen, although I won't take delivery of my '16 CR-V until Thursday. I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Smartphone but could not connect it to my (totaled) 2015 CR-V's Infortainment system, except for Bluetooth telephone calls and HondaLink, which did not link Google Maps. Not even with HDMI cable. Any advice would be appreciated, including 3rd party software/hardware. Yes, I know American Honda Motors abandoned any improvements on the 2015-16 Navigation OS (except annual map updates) on rollout. No, I won't rehash its shortcomings.
UPDATE: For months I've searched in vain for a "CarLink" program that supposedly allows Android Smartphones to link by USB cable to pre-2017 CR-V Infotainment units (before Android Auto added). (I understand upscale Accords and Civics got AA in 2016). Finally found it: "CarLink apk" by Caradio, a Hong King software company. Never found it on Google PlayStore; had to Google it. Have downloaded it to my Samsung Galaxy J7. [Watch out for linked PRIMEZY.CO site that gives the impression download requires subscribing--it doesn't.] But I won't know if "CarLink apk" links the J7's Google Map to my '16 CR-V's Infotainment screen until Thursday at the earliest; learning curve time, y'know. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2016 EX
53 Posts
Thanks. Um, I knew that.Anyone ever get Mirrorlink to work on the Samsun Galaxy J series smartpho e? That's support to put your phone's Google Maps on the Infotainment screen--but not mine.

UPDATE: For months I've searched in vain for a "CarLink" program that supposedly allows Android Smartphones to link by USB cable to pre-2017 CR-V Infotainment units (before Android Auto added). (I understand upscale Accords and Civics got AA in 2016). Finally found it: "CarLink apk" by Caradio, a Hong King software company. Never found it on Google PlayStore; had to Google it. Have downloaded it to my Samsung Galaxy J7. [Watch out for linked PRIMEZY.CO site that gives the impression download requires subscribing--it doesn't.] But I won't know if "CarLink apk" links the J7's Google Map to my '16 CR-V's Infotainment screen until Thursday at the earliest; learning curve time, y'know. Stay tuned.
Let me know how this goes. I have a 2016 and I've seen that app is supposed to work but I figured it was a bit sketchy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know how this goes. I have a 2016 and I've seen that app is supposed to work but I figured it was a bit sketchy.
I'll post another update; wait for it... FYI, I didn't use MirrorLink to connect with the 2015 CR-V because my Samsung Galaxy J7 does not have MirrorLink built in, and there's no way to add MirrorLink to my J7. I'd have to switch to a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone with ML, my carrier (Virgin) stopped selling such, and the wife thinks I've spent way too much on my car already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post another update; wait for it... FYI, I didn't use MirrorLink to connect with the 2015 CR-V because my Samsung Galaxy J7 does not have MirrorLink built in, and there's no way to add MirrorLink to my J7. I'd have to switch to a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone with ML, my carrier (Virgin) stopped selling such, and the wife thinks I've spent way too much on my car already.
Still waiting to take delivery. Bad news, I've read that since my Samsung Galaxy J7 doesn't have MirrorLink (and it cannot be added), no matter what app I download or how I hook up my J7 to the CR-V data ports, the J7 will not connect with the '16 Touring's Infotainment screen. A 2015 Youtube video (cannot find it now) claimed its Samsung smartpone could connect vis HDMI after downloading Caradio HK's CarLink, but maybe that smartphone had mirroring capability. CarLink's "get started" screen says phone must have MirrorLink. Now I'm wondering if a Samsung J7 with Android Auto won't connect to the '17 CR-V without MirrorLink, either?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HK co's CarLink did not link. Durn it, back to square one. I may buy a new radio head IF, repeat IF, it has HondaLink and retains all the functions in my steering wheel & dashboard controls, and shows backup TV and passenger rear view mirror TV. Or I may just put my Samsung J700P in this holder I found that sits on the dash, and run the smartphone's Google Maps app to find/navigate to unfamiliar destinations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, it did not. :rolleyes: Now I've bought an iPhone 7. The Galaxy is pretty old, and I hear Android OS is basically spyware; Android tracks everywhere you go/buy/do/text and sells it to marketers, including political stratagists. With the iPhone 1, I get Apple Map/Google Map navigation audio on the CR-V's speakers (via Bluetooth), but no visuals so far using USB.
I don't see any button/icon to send HondaLink map directions from the iPhone to the Infotainment system. Maybe that's for 2017 CR-Vs? I've ordered an iPhone HDMI dongle, which supposedly sends whatever is on the iPhone's screen to Infotainment screen; will see what that does (and will test "3 button hack" that aledgedly keeps display visable while in motion, cited in a different thread I lost track of).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts