Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the forum and also a first time CR-V owner. I have a 2005 that is shifting harshly between first and second mostly while accelerating quickly. It revs and then grabs hard into second. If I use the shifter and change gears manually there is no problem. I have drain and filled the transmission 3 times with no luck. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
With all the new fluids I would just back off the acceleration at the point when you know the tranny is going to want to shift. Maybe freeing up some old gunk in the process. Let the new fluids get their way into al the gears and plates. Best of luck. I have the same model and the original owner hadn't ever changed out tranny fluids over the 141k+ miles. Hopefully you have been wiping off the metal filings each time you have pulled the drain plug. The only other suggestion would be to change out that tranny filter. It was built to last but I doubt it was built to go much more than 100k miles.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
What tranny fluid are you using?
How did the tranny fluid look before you changed it? Did it have burnt smell?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Negative on using the atf recommended in your owner's manual for your 2005. The manual recommends using Honda Z-1 exclusively. Do not use Z-1!!
Use the Honda DW-1 atf, a much improved formula.
Many have had great results with using other compatible synthetic atf. Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf is one and it is a lot cheaper than DW-1.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well if the ATF changes did not help I think the problem is elsewhere like a sensor or clogged screen or shift sensor in the transmission. The ATF changes should have made a little difference even if it was very small. I remember one guy had the same problem and it was a shift solenoid or something in the transmission. He opened the drain pan of the transmission and he changed it. You should search the forums.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
I vote for a clogged screen on one of the externally-mounted shift solenoids at the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. The fluid was from the dealer and he said they only have 1 type now so I assume it was DW-1 (the empties are in my garage so I will check later). The fluid was fairly black but not burnt smelling. I just purchased this vehicle so I have no history on the maintenance of the transmission. I've been reading some about the shifting solenoids and sounds like it could be a solenoid issue but you would think it would be consistantly shifting poorly instead of occasionally.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Negative on using the atf recommended in your owner's manual for your 2005. The manual recommends using Honda Z-1 exclusively. Do not use Z-1!!
Use the Honda DW-1 atf, a much improved formula.
Many have had great results with using other compatible synthetic atf. Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf is one and it is a lot cheaper than DW-1.
Buffalo4
If it has changed, the dealership will inform him of such change. I definitely wouldn't be using your recommendation of another transmission fluid due to it being a lot cheaper. A transmission repair isn't cheap. It even states in the manual that Dex/Merc is a temporary replacement and should be changed asap.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/A9B0505OM/enu/9B0505OM.pdf

Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (automatic transmission fluid). If it’s not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect the shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient.

I'm not one to try and out smart the engineers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts