Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I want to take my 05 CR-V out to the outbacks and do some trail-driving in summer. Just a few questions regarding that.

1. Atm I'm using all-season tires? Should I switch to off-road tires before I go on a trip? And if so what are the recommended tires?

2. Should I bring a tow rope along? I know nav aids, first aid kit and tools are a necessity as are jump cables. Which part of the CR-V do I attach the tow rope to? This is just in case I get stuck (will try to avoid that!)

3. Other than driving slow on unsure terrains and have someone act as a spotter, any other tips recommended?

Sorry to be asking these questions, I'm still very new to the forum.

·
Registered
756 Posts
2. Should I bring a tow rope along? I know nav aids, first aid kit and tools are a necessity as are jump cables. Which part of the CR-V do I attach the tow rope to? This is just in case I get stuck (will try to avoid that!)
Welcome to forum. Good luck with your trip.

Of course you should get off-road tires. : http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/australian-dad-steven-van-lonkhuyzen-his-sons-rescued-after-10-n272966

I am also interested in that rope-towing question.

·
Registered
705 Posts
To offer the best recommendations, we'd need to know more about the types of trails you'll be riding on. For dry conditions and not too steep of inclines, your all-seasons will probably do fine so long as they have decent tread left. If you are heading for sand and mud though, full off-road tires would be best. For a middle ground tire that you can take with you back on the pavement without loud whining, look into All-Terrain tires. Do take a shovel, winch if you have one, tow rope, and hi-lift jack, unless you won't be alone and have others to hoist you out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to forum. Good luck with your trip.

Of course you should get off-road tires. : http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/australian-dad-steven-van-lonkhuyzen-his-sons-rescued-after-10-n272966

I am also interested in that rope-towing question.
Thanks for replying canyon. What brand of tires would you recommend? As I recall my V runs on 16" wheels (please correct me if I'm wrong).

To offer the best recommendations, we'd need to know more about the types of trails you'll be riding on. For dry conditions and not too steep of inclines, your all-seasons will probably do fine so long as they have decent tread left. If you are heading for sand and mud though, full off-road tires would be best. For a middle ground tire that you can take with you back on the pavement without loud whining, look into All-Terrain tires. Do take a shovel, winch if you have one, tow rope, and hi-lift jack, unless you won't be alone and have others to hoist you out.
Thanks MikeUtah. What I'm looking for are just trail driving. Gravel, dry dirt, grassland. Nothing too fancy, minimum mud or water. At the moment I'm using all weather tires so I guess that sounds okay just for light off-roading. Equipment-wise I only have a shovel and jump cables, should I go for a jump box in addition to the items you mentioned above?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Myself, I've only gone with friends either with me, or in other vehicles. You can't push yourself out if you get stuck.

If your just enjoying an Off-Road path, even a car will make it unless it bottoms out.

Street tires are fine, but All Terrain tires are better, less chance of getting a Flat tire, and of course Mud Terrain tires are best, but not necessary considering the CRV has limitations anyways as it is not a true 4X4

I always upsize my tires after I've worn the OEM set out because of the places I take my CRV. Here are pics of my 2000 CRV with All Terrain tires that went from the stock 205/70 15 to a taller 215/75 15 tire, and have never owned a Lift Kit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Myself, I've only gone with friends either with me, or in other vehicles. You can't push yourself out if you get stuck.

If your just enjoying an Off-Road path, even a car will make it unless it bottoms out.

Street tires are fine, but All Terrain tires are better, less chance of getting a Flat tire, and of course Mud Terrain tires are best, but not necessary considering the CRV has limitations anyways as it is not a true 4X4

I always upsize my tires after I've worn the OEM set out because of the places I take my CRV. Here are pics of my 2000 CRV with All Terrain tires that went from the stock 205/70 15 to a taller 215/75 15 tire, and have never owned a Lift Kit.

So street tires run fine, but all terrain is definitely better. Thx!

Well I'm definitely going with friends and convoy up, so just in case any of us gets stuck help's always available.

Just an additional questions. Where do I tie my tow rope to on my car?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are two tow rings on the front and one in the back (center). Get down on your knees and take a look. They will be easy to see.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As others have pointed out tires make a big difference. All terrains would be a good choice, there rae some good brands like Yokohoma geolander AT, Firestone Destination AT, etc which are good on highway and off road. You will find a lot of info on tires in the tires section on this forum.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There are other threads here about emergency towing.

From 2005 and 2007 CR-V owner's manual:

The only way you can safely tow
your vehicle is with flat-bed
equipment. The operator will load
your vehicle on the back of a truck.
Any other method of towing will
damage the drive system. When you
contact the towing agency, inform
them a flat-bed is required.

On 4WD models. NOTICE: Towing with only two tires on the
ground will damage parts of the 4WD
system. It should be transported on a
flat-bed truck or trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are two tow rings on the front and one in the back (center). Get down on your knees and take a look. They will be easy to see.
Thanks for pointing that thread out vrc123. I actually haven't read so far back into the history of that particular forum post so I never found out about some tips & tricks.

As others have pointed out tires make a big difference. All terrains would be a good choice, there rae some good brands like Yokohoma geolander AT, Firestone Destination AT, etc which are good on highway and off road. You will find a lot of info on tires in the tires section on this forum.
Thanks vhercules. I just need to find the right tires that fit my budget and can do some light-offroading. Time to start digging.

There are other threads here about emergency towing.

From 2005 and 2007 CR-V owner's manual:

The only way you can safely tow
your vehicle is with flat-bed
equipment. The operator will load
your vehicle on the back of a truck.
Any other method of towing will
damage the drive system. When you
contact the towing agency, inform
them a flat-bed is required.

On 4WD models. NOTICE: Towing with only two tires on the
ground will damage parts of the 4WD
system. It should be transported on a
flat-bed truck or trailer.
Thanks canyon. I've read that operator's manual and that particular section a few times already. Yeah well the manufacturer says towing is not recommended but you know what, the CR-V was recommended as a roadster only and yet people still take them off the road. I'll take the risk of taking the V off road. After all it's an SUV, it can handle other terrain rather than just hard tarmac.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As long as you respect your ground clearance (know it, test it and be confident with it.) don't drive on hard incline (it can overheat your trans) and go in mud you should be fine with all-season tires. If you do trails every week end or a few times a month maybe you want to get AT tires. AT tires are a good compromise between mud tires and all season. Most modern AT tires are not any louder than a winter tire. AT tire are also stronger (more plies and sidewalls.) against puncture from rocks and do OK in light mud. Don't bother getting a mud terrain, the CRV doesnt have the capabilities to justify its use. I think you can get the Yoko ATS in your size and they are good tires. Just dont forget to rotate them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies so far!

My next question is, if any of you are familiar with places within Upstate New York, do you know of any good off-road path/trails I could try out? Thx!

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Do take a shovel, winch if you have one, tow rope, and hi-lift jack, unless you won't be alone and have others to hoist you out."

Excellent advice! I also carry traction tracks for desert off-roading and an emergency flasher. A real spare tire too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts