Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, the wife and I are considering jumpin' on the CR-V wagon... been looking into this Crossover/SUV to replace her current 2013 VW CC (which is an electrical/mechanical nightmare). We're looking into either a 2014 or a 2015-16. Any common issues we should worry about before entering into this venture? I know Honda is of the upmost reliable brands in the Market so I know that will be an upgrade, hopefully we can find an EX-L to match up some with the tech the CC Lux had.

Also, I was wondering would it be relatively easy to swap headlamps and the grill of a 2015 to a 2014? I see the lamps are similar but have different shape near the grill... which leaves me to wonder if the grill is a bit different and would be forced to swap the whole bumper. Anyone tried this yet? Most likely all clips and screws should be the same being that it's the same chassis.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Welcome.

Swapping headlights would be difficult.
It might include not only the bumper and grill, but possibly the hood and fenders, too, and possibly modifications to the mounting locations for the lights.

I went with a 2014 after the 2015's were announced because I didn't want a CVT transmission.

Please take time to read the threads on fuel in the oil before looking at the 2015 and later CR-Vs.
It appears to be a problem with the 1.5L turbo engines, and to a lesser extent with the 2.4L non-turbo engines in the 2015 CR-Vs.
The 2014 and earlier CR-Vs in the US also have a 2.4L engine, but it's not the same engine design as was introduced with the 2015s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Swapping headlights would be difficult.
It might include not only the bumper and grill, but possibly the hood and fenders, too, and possibly modifications to the mounting locations for the lights.

I went with a 2014 after the 2015's were announced because I didn't want a CVT transmission.

Please take time to read the threads on fuel in the oil before looking at the 2015 and later CR-Vs.
It appears to be a problem with the 1.5L turbo engines, and to a lesser extent with the 2.4L non-turbo engines in the 2015 CR-Vs.
The 2014 and earlier CR-Vs in the US also have a 2.4L engine, but it's not the same engine design as was introduced with the 2015s.
So, you're saying the 2012 - 2014 were built more solid than that of the 2015 - 2016 refreshed models. Also, the 2.4L N/A motor was revised but had common oil issues. Honda didn't recall these issues?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So, you're saying the 2012 - 2014 were built more solid than that of the 2015 - 2016 refreshed models. Also, the 2.4L N/A motor was revised but had common oil issues. Honda didn't recall these issues?
Not more solid, just with a different fuel delivery system.

The newer direct injection engines have been having some issues with fuel getting into the oil, causing dilution of the oil which is not a good thing.

Honda is apparently working on a fix, and I think has started delivering it to customers in Canada.
Some posts suggest that US customers will start getting the fix in mid November.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not more solid, just with a different fuel delivery system.

The newer direct injection engines have been having some issues with fuel getting into the oil, causing dilution of the oil which is not a good thing.

Honda is apparently working on a fix, and I think has started delivering it to customers in Canada.
Some posts suggest that US customers will start getting the fix in mid November.

I see, well, hopefully they do come up with a fix (recall hopefully at no cost), we plan on getting it sometime during tax season and once we sell the VW CC. Hopefully we can get 10K out of it and just pay the rest out of pocket.

I'll be researching here and there (on this forum) to see what's common and what's not. I do appreciate your insight.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We had a '14 and liked it. Took it in for an oil change once and had a '15 CRV for a loaner - it had the Lane Watch camera and I very much liked it.

Alas it was a bit too small for us and we traded it for a '16 Pilot (with Lane Watch).

Try a '14 and a '15/6 and see if you prefer the Lane Watch...

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know there isn't much with this CUV. Judging by the lack of post could be a solid find for the wife... right now our family is 4 of us so, a CUV/Sedan is fine... she just wanted to go more along the lines of an SUV. Funny thing is, she wants me to lower the CRV when we get it my thoughts were, "why not just get a sedan (accord)?"

Lane Change Assist isn't much of a necessity but a reverse camera is. The headunit and/or any other fancy gadgets can be added later... HID's + LED's are a must...!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VERY hard to change out a headhunt as it is integrated into the system functions of the CR-V.

Just be aware of this..

Best to you, and keep us informed of your choice!
Even the lower trims are integrated?

I'm sure there has to be some sort of adapter for the 4th gens where these functions are retained. Then again, we will see, haven't done much research since this idea is still in the air. Ty kind sir.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.