Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2017 EX-L AWD with 135,000 miles on it. I was recently told by a dealership that a new transmission (appr. $6k) is the only solution for a noise.

A few weeks ago I noticed a buzzing/whirring/something noise coming from approximately under the center of the dashboard. Kinda sounds like a drone is following me. Increases upon acceleration, generally disappears while coasting. It’s loud enough to be annoying, but even a loud podcast can nearly drown it out. It’s present with and without air conditioning, with and without Econ mode, and anything else I or the dealership could think of.

My local dealer service center decided it’s coming from the transmission, and informed me it could only be fixed by replacing it to the tune of $5700 or so. Basically, it could last 3 more days or 3 more years. I haven’t noticed any other issues, and for now I’m gonna live with it until I decide to get a new vehicle.

Any thoughts or advice? I imagine there aren’t too many out there with this many miles on them yet.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
615 Posts
Was the regularly scheduled cvt fluid exchange performed @ approx every 40,000 miles?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should contact Honda. With documented CVT oil changes they should cover or at least help in the replacement cost. Even at you 135k it is to early for a failure

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
Prudent to take it to another dealer for a second opinion. It may cost you a diagnostic fee.. but it may also come back with a different assessment.. so it is money spent prudently in my view.

I doubt you will get any joy from Honda Corporate due to your high mileage (135K). They can, and do, offer exceptions to their warranty coverage.... on a case by case basis, and at the sole discretion of Honda... but I doubt it when you are so many miles beyond your power train warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is where Subaru will stand behind their product. Even with that mileage and properly maintained I have seen them pick up the tab, perhaps not the entire amount, but at least 50%

·
Registered
226 Posts
I drive a 2017 EX-L AWD with 135,000 miles on it. I was recently told by a dealership that a new transmission (appr. $6k) is the only solution for a noise.

A few weeks ago I noticed a buzzing/whirring/something noise coming from approximately under the center of the dashboard. Kinda sounds like a drone is following me. Increases upon acceleration, generally disappears while coasting. It’s loud enough to be annoying, but even a loud podcast can nearly drown it out. It’s present with and without air conditioning, with and without Econ mode, and anything else I or the dealership could think of.

My local dealer service center decided it’s coming from the transmission, and informed me it could only be fixed by replacing it to the tune of $5700 or so. Basically, it could last 3 more days or 3 more years. I haven’t noticed any other issues, and for now I’m gonna live with it until I decide to get a new vehicle.

Any thoughts or advice? I imagine there aren’t too many out there with this many miles on them yet.

thanks!
Tell them Honda gave you a 6yr unlimited mileage powertrain warranty due to oil dilution.
Although the letter never says anything about transmission, see what they say.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is where Subaru will stand behind their product. Even with that mileage and properly maintained I have seen them pick up the tab, perhaps not the entire amount, but at least 50%
Subaru had known problems with their CVTs and extended the warranty. Which was good on their part.

I haven't heard many Honda CVT failures that would put pressure on them to extend the warranty. It's always worth a try though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Actually, some people have been able to eliminate abnormal whine by using Valvoline's HCF-2 (CVT fluid -- meets and exceeds Honda HCF-2 specifications and will not void new warranty) and/or using the Valvoline Professional Series CVT conditioner (HCF-2 compatible). They also include a $4000 warranty (initial service done under 50,000 miles) on transmissions that are treated with the VPS conditioner every 15,000 miles. Honda also says to change the fluid every 25,000 miles for severe driving -- regardless of the MM. Kinda like the old 5 speed that needed a fluid change every 2 years/30,000 miles for severe. Severe conditions also includes city driving -- stop and go, etc.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
To the OP, I would be curious if your dealer changed both filters at every scheduled maintenance cycle?
Given that the MM only calls for a drain and fill, I don't see why either filter would ever be replaced. That would at least double (probably triple) the cost.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My vote is for fluid replacement and run it till it won't.

Or the ol' replace with thicker oil to cut the noise and trade her in trick.

I'll get slammed for that but we are in a recession. Dropping 6k on car worth 12k is not good financially.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Given that the MM only calls for a drain and fill, I don't see why either filter would ever be replaced. That would at least double (probably triple) the cost.
Even if it were to cost $300 to change both filters every 30k miles that would still be cheaper than a $5700 transmission at 135k miles.
I’m guessing you have never pulled your transmission pan off and seen how much debris that the metal belt sheds. I have.

I pulled my pan at 20k miles and the magnets inside were cover with metal grit. The magnets can only hold so much and that material then goes to the filters where it can be trapped. The first filter in the pan is a coarse material, the filter behind the fluid cooler is a fine filter.
If I was the OP I would be taking it in to have both filters replaced and go from there.
The MM reminder first function is to get the car past the warranty period.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here a picture of the magnet drain plug at 20k miles of city driving.
953E2B1B-DD9B-489F-A0F3-1C6AB0B4B249.jpeg

This is is why I have chosen to be a little more proactive on transmission maintenance. The other 2 magnets in the pan looked the same.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,920 Posts
My vote is for fluid replacement and run it till it won't.

Or the ol' replace with thicker oil to cut the noise and trade her in trick.

I'll get slammed for that but we are in a recession. Dropping 6k on car worth 12k is not good financially.
Not a slam by me, just an observation......

^^ This is why buying someone else's used vehicle in the US can be problematic.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This story reminds me of my brother in law many years ago. He had a Chervolet Impala bought new. Not the kind of guy who was in tune with car maintenance. So one snowing winter day, he drove his Impala to a dealership with a clunking transmission close to their closing time and did a trade in, banking on the fact that the sales guy would be too lazy to check out his ride. Sure enough they didn't check so he won. Not sure if the dealer would fix that or hide that and pass it on to the next unsuspecting victim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here a picture of the magnet drain plug at 20k miles of city driving. View attachment 143272
This is is why I have chosen to be a little more proactive on transmission maintenance. The other 2 magnets in the pan looked the same.
That IS a lot of metal shavings for 20K miles of operation.
Think I'm going to attach a series of neodymium magnets externally to the trans pan.
It should help to collect more of those fine shavings from constantly swirling in the trans fluid.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Even if it were to cost $300 to change both filters every 30k miles that would still be cheaper than a $5700 transmission at 135k miles.
I’m guessing you have never pulled your transmission pan off and seen how much debris that the metal belt sheds. I have.

I pulled my pan at 20k miles and the magnets inside were cover with metal grit. The magnets can only hold so much and that material then goes to the filters where it can be trapped. The first filter in the pan is a coarse material, the filter behind the fluid cooler is a fine filter.
If I was the OP I would be taking it in to have both filters replaced and go from there.
The MM reminder first function is to get the car past the warranty period.
If the transmission pump has adequate flow because the filter isn't clogged, (and the pump has plenty of "reserve capacity" to make sure that the fluid flows just fine) then changing the filter will make no difference whatsoever. Nor is the shedding of filings likely continue at anywhere near the same rate once it's broken in.

The MM certainly will be you far more than "past the warranty period"... it includes items that aren't even needed or called for until well past it being over.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts