Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy either a new crv-ex L. Or a used 2017+. If I am looking for the best deal and looking to sell in 3-4 years what route do you recommend. Seems like there is not a huge price difference between new and used? Seems like crv holds it value pretty well so when I sell I might see better returns with a new?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Well.. buying a 2017.. you may be buying some other owners problems..... and there were some issues with the first year of the gen5 CRV that you might bump into. Since the 2017 will be out of warranty.. anything goes wrong.. it's going to fall on your wallet. Example: some owners in recent months have started to see some defective injectors (which was also reported in year one of the 2017 and Honda has changed injector designs) so I consider the injectors to be a weak point in the 2017 model year. Average cost to replace the injectors is penciling out at 1500-1800 dollars from reports of owners (and pretty much you have to have a dealer do that level of repair).

If you buy new.. you will have a factory bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years.. and if you only intend to keep the vehicle for 3-4 years... then you avoid any real repair costs that might pop up.

Basically... it comes down to total cost of ownership for 3-4 years.... AND do you want certainty or uncertainty with regard to any costs of repairs.. that is what it comes down to.

A brand new vehicle will suffer more depreciation... but where Honda CRVs are concerned.. it's not that noticeable between a 3 year old vehicle and a brand new one when looking down the road 3-4 more years. Reason: CRVs hold their resale value really well and yet new ones can often be purchased at very favorable price discounts below MSRP from dealers.

If it were me, I would buy the new vehicle.. especially since Honda just did the mid-life refresh on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
133 Posts
If you're looking for the best value of your dollar you will buy a used vehicle and let the original purchaser suffer the loss. If you have the spendable income and it won't have a negative impact on you or your families life style there certainly is pleasure in buying new. The yes or no answer is different for every individual. If you decide to buy used, make an effort to not buy a car in the rust belt. An example of that is my wife's 2011 Arizona CR-V has no more rust on it than a brand new CR-V in the show room. It would well be worth the cost of a plane ticket to get out of the rust belt to buy a used car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the normal discount off msrp for crv-ex L. Or worded differently what is a good purchase price before taxes? $30k? Or less. Also should I ask them to throw in some items like floor mats? I haven’t bought in a car in over 15 years, used public transportation and was studying abroad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very interetiinng discussion. I am new here and interested in owning this car.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/Xe-VoXN7ZD4kbL8nvJtIZg8plUSeiSsREVGaewW0Xp7t7GrJHc4UFhf-w8Pcz0chU5ptQ6ZzfDjiRDmd19TRDQ8PGfOTvUlgb7A

I am new to the community and need your help. I am interested in this car that has a rebuilt title. I am wondering if the car had one accident or two or three accidents ? Thanks for your time and consideration. I f it's three accidents, its probably nt worth buying it ?

Would really appreciate your help guys !

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're looking for the best value of your dollar you will buy a used vehicle and let the original purchaser suffer the loss. If you have the spendable income and it won't have a negative impact on you or your families life style there certainly is pleasure in buying new. The yes or no answer is different for every individual. If you decide to buy used, make an effort to not buy a car in the rust belt. An example of that is my wife's 2011 Arizona CR-V has no more rust on it than a brand new CR-V in the show room. It would well be worth the cost of a plane ticket to get out of the rust belt to buy a used car.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/Xe-VoXN7ZD4kbL8nvJtIZg8plUSeiSsREVGaewW0Xp7t7GrJHc4UFhf-w8Pcz0chU5ptQ6ZzfDjiRDmd19TRDQ8PGfOTvUlgb7A

I am new to the community and need your help. I am interested in this car that has a rebuilt title. I am wondering if the car had one accident or two or three accidents ? Thanks for your time and consideration. I f it's three accidents, its probably nt worth buying it ?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,735 Posts
To the OP: Consider buying a CPO V. Usually the warranty is extended on those.

How many yearly miles do you intend to put on your purchase? (Or, stated another way, how many miles during your 3 - 4 year ownership?)

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
133 Posts
A salvage title is not an accumulation of incidents. It results from one incident. It could range any where from a car that was stolen, paid off by the insurance company and then recovered with a lot, little or no damage. Or it could be the result of a horrendous impact that caused so much damage it was cheaper to total out the car than repair it at the going labor rate. People buy junk cars and rebuild them to turn a dollar. The more short cuts they take equals more profit. The integrity of the person doing the work will be the biggest factor as to whether it's a decent, safe car or not. If you're the kind of person that keeps a car till it is completely worn out and trashed, it might be a good gamble to buy a car with a salvage title. That is only after you have it checked over carefully and completely by a mechanic you trust. If you're going to sell it or trade it in in a few years you'll take a beating financially.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To the OP: Consider buying a CPO V. Usually the warranty is extended on those.

How many yearly miles do you intend to put on your purchase? (Or, stated another way, how many miles during your 3 - 4 year ownership?)

The warranty is voided already, I will be driving abut 10K miles a year atlelast as I live close to work, 6 days/week and one center is far from where I live that I'll have to visit once in a while.

What I am trying to understand is the carafe itself, it seems there are at-least two accidents, I am trying to figure out if the third one is also a new accident or reflects the old one. THANKS SO MUCH !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
A salvage title is not an accumulation of incidents. It results from one incident. It could range any where from a car that was stolen, paid off by the insurance company and then recovered with a lot, little or no damage. Or it could be the result of a horrendous impact that caused so much damage it was cheaper to total out the car than repair it at the going labor rate. People buy junk cars and rebuild them to turn a dollar. The more short cuts they take equals more profit. The integrity of the person doing the work will be the biggest factor as to whether it's a decent, safe car or not. If you're the kind of person that keeps a car till it is completely worn out and trashed, it might be a good gamble to buy a car with a salvage title. That is only after you have it checked over carefully and completely by a mechanic you trust. If you're going to sell it or trade it in in a few years you'll take a beating financially.
Yes, sure. In this particular case, there are two major accidents. I am trying to figure out if the third one is also an accident as there's no mention of accident but it says salvage title sold at auction, 4 months into ownership. So, wonder if its a carfaax error or the accident was not reported to insurance and directly sold at auction. Could you please review the carfax report. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the link to the report https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/Xe-VoXN7ZD4kbL8nvJtIZg8plUSeiSsREVGaewW0Xp7t7GrJHc4UFhf-w8Pcz0chU5ptQ6ZzfDjiRDmd19TRDQ8PGfOTvUlgb7A

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Says right in the report:
Accident / Damage
DMV title problems reported. Accidents reported on: 03/18/2017 and 11/04/2019. Damage reported on 04/07/2017. Vehicle sold at a salvage auction on 05/11/2020.
It does not really matter if it was one accident, or more than one... the car was declared "salvage" and in reading the details of the report at the bottom.. it may have been put into salvage status 2 times. Further.. it has been moving across state lines after having a salvage title issued.. which is a ploy sometimes used to misrepresent the legal status of the vehicle. Since at least one insurance company declared the vehicle a total loss.. that means it would cost more to repair than it was worth. Then someone moved it across state lines and managed to obtain a "rebuilt" title in a different state.

Why would you buy a vehicle that has basically been declared a total loss and classified as salvage for parts, moved across state lines in order to effect re-title at least once?

Personally, I would not touch that vehicle with a ten foot pole, not even for parts. It is the poster child for "buying other peoples problems".

On a positive note... this vehicle is EXACTLY why Carfax is in business and is a prudent thing to order up on any used vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
133 Posts
The Car Fax reports the number of recorded accidents. A car could have a record of a dozen reported accidents and not have a salvage title issued because none of the accidents, by itself, was enough to declare the vehicle a total loss. As williamsji said, I wouldn't touch it nor would I any salvage title vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys, I decided to buy another one that costs me a couple of extra grands that has a clean tittle and a much better history. What do you guys recommend. Will share the the record soon.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
Moving to Shopping & Test Driving section.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
What do you this is a fair price to buy it From a private owner
Welcome to the forum! Please make your own post/thread in the Shopping & Test Driving Section for these purposes and don't piggyback on another member's post. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,413 Posts
I’m looking to buy either a new crv-ex L. Or a used 2017+. If I am looking for the best deal and looking to sell in 3-4 years what route do you recommend. Seems like there is not a huge price difference between new and used? Seems like crv holds it value pretty well so when I sell I might see better returns with a new?
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-V EX
10 Posts
Sandy2025, it’s hard to resell a car with a salvage title. It’s best to stay away from those. Good luck on your search for that perfect car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As to the salvage title part.

I have no problem buying a car with one, done it many times.

There is at least one multi state reputable company that sells nothing but salvage titles. They're up front and have the full report on each vehicle. I bought 2 from them, the price was great. Very low mileage, less than a few thousand, and not more than 3 years old.

My last one was a theft recovery, they tried to remove the head unit.

My truck has one, it was in a minor accident, no airbags deployed, fender, bumper, grill replaced. I bought it 9 years ago, it replaced a another truck with a salvage title, which my son totaled.

I don't buy for resale because I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, but I must say, I've never had a problem selling one.

Some people can't sleep at night stressing about their car not being perfect, I'm not one of those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts