Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've tried searching all week all over the internet with no luck. I even posted on the Honda Tech forum and couldn't get help so my last option is to turn to you guys.

My issue is this. 03 CRV EX AWD AT, runs and drives GREAT and I mean like a new truck, was a 1 owner when I bought it a week and a half ago. Well when it gets warm or about 30 minutes worth of driving, the fuel cuts completely off after 30% throttle. After you let off the gas it will kick back in and you can feather the gas up to speed. If you again press the gas pedal too hard, the fuel cuts again. It's not a spit and sputter, it's a complete fuel cut.

So I checked the engine light codes and came up with these

P1164 indicates the PCM detected the heated oxygen sensor 1 signal did not switch (remained lean) for a predetermined period of time
P1166 Air Fuel Sensor 1 (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction
P1259 VTEC System Malfunction (Bank 1)
P1456 EVAP System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank Area)

So I purchased an 02 sensor and a VTEC solenoid because the car is at 170k milkes and is probably due for a little work but I'm not installing the 02 sensor until I have the cat tested to make sure it's not plugged. A hot cat will destroy the new 02 sensor. BUT I did take temps from the inlet and outlet of the cat and the inlet was 380 degrees and the outlet was 240. I don't know the normal heat or the range it's allowed even though I've searched and searched. Is this a possible bad cat? Is the fuel pump possibly going bad because all systems are showing lean? Before I dump a ton of money into it I'd like some clarity.

And yes I've taken it to 2 different shops. A Honda service shop said they couldn't recreate the issue so they didn't know what was wrong. Another service shop said I had a bad cat, I asked how much it would cost for them to replace and he said he would get back to me. 30 minutes later he came back and said the cat was good and I needed to take it to Honda to have them run a diagnostic on it.......Never had this with any other vehicle so it's all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,166 Posts
You certainly need to replace the O2 sensor if it's heater isn't working. (Could be damaged or corroded wires underneath, check first). But a clogged CatCon would create issues over time, not all at once.

Normally, a warmed-up, fully functional Cat will generate higher outlet temps than the input temps.

The VTEC solenoid code is a common issue, be sure to check wiring on that as well. It will trigger a Limp Mode so perhaps that is what you are experiencing.

The Evap code will not cause the issue you are having, but you should get it fixed anyway.

I'd start with the VTEC code.

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Its got 170k nothing wrong basic maintenance checks.
My ol timey approach when faced with multiple codes, is check/fix one thing at at time, clear codes and see if they or some of them return.
Pull the plugs, are they the right make and model, and how do they look? Are the hoses good or perished etc? Assume oil level correct. On the Vtec code, check the Vtec filter/screen. Once clogged, Vtec wont operate. On the fuel tank evap, don't forget to check even the gas cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got it 100% fixed with NO CEL or anything. I replaced the 02 sensorand the VTEC solenoid and reset the ECU. I started the car up and let it idle for 10 mins and then took it out on a drive. Has much better power now and has no stalling at all. Safe to say the VTEC solenoid was the culprit. When I removed it the screen was damaged and clogged. I'll post pics so I hope if anyone else has this issue they can easily solve it by reading this.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Great news. Now, make sure you use a quality motor oil recommended for your CRV and do regular oil and filter changes . If your oil is black, I would even recommend that you do an oil and filter change now, using synthetic oil and a new filter (synthetic oil cleans better than dino oil). Run it for around 2k miles and do another oil change if the oil is fairly dark after that time.
Keeping up with proper oil and filter changes will help keep that screen clean.
Hopefully you used a Denso O2 sensor or an OEM one and NOT a Bosch.
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts