Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the wealth of knowledge!

We've had this CRV since new and now she has 253,000 miles on her.

My wife drove home the other night and later, the CRV would crank but would not start.

Here is where I am so far.

Battery is good. Ignition is firing - I pulled a plug and checked it. Plugs were new 1000 miles ago.

Runs with a squirt of starter fluid.

I'm thinking fuel pump because the fuse is good but the pump is not making any noise or has any pressure at the entry to the fuel rail. Tried the pump with the line disconnected at the pump and nothing comes out.

Is there any other electrical cutout that would keep the pump from running?

The pump cannon plug has 5 pins and I'm not familiar with what pin does what so without step by step instructions, I can't check continuity.

Soooo...that is where I am for now. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks! Scott

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
How old is the battery? Maybe the battery doesn’t have enough juice? Put a starter pack and see if it start?
did you not read any of his post???

Make sure you have power and ground at the pump. Highly probably pump went out being that old but always best to make sure you have power and ground. Google can get you the pin layout to check the connector for both power and ground. Other wires are for the gauge and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
did you not read any of his post???

Make sure you have power and ground at the pump. Highly probably pump went out being that old but always best to make sure you have power and ground. Google can get you the pin layout to check the connector for both power and ground. Other wires are for the gauge and such.

Yes. Just making sure if the op knows how to check the battery. Some people think when the headlight turns on battery is good.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I understand why you would say something along those lines if he was like most and posted next to no information. The OP is one of the few that understands and made sure to put the details in the post.

He actually did a very good job of showing some basic diagnostic skills and was very clear/detailed. Like those that think the lights come on battery is good, SO MANY assume it's the battery when an engine will crank but not start. Which if it cranks, it's not a battery problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Folks.

I jumped the battery to ensure there was enough power behind it to start. No luck with that. Good power tot he fuel pump pins.

I ordered a Delphi fuel pump assembly that should be here in two days.

Fingers are crossed!

Scott

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks Folks.

I jumped the battery to ensure there was enough power behind it to start. No luck with that. Good power tot he fuel pump pins.

I ordered a Delphi fuel pump assembly that should be here in two days.

Fingers are crossed!

Scott
If you checked the voltage to the fuel pump with a neon test light or a digital meter, the pump may still not be getting enough power to run. Close on voltage, almost nothing in amperage.
A 12v light bulb will usually indicate sufficient power. One of the most common problems with the pump not getting sufficient power is the Main Relay.
Do some research it. Search in this forum.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ya I would have checked relay and such before buying a pump. But if you have power to the pump it will still try to run just run poorly/not long.

The point I was trying to make was that a digital volt meter or a neon test light can show voltage, but that does not mean there is sufficient amperage (power) to run the fuel pump.
Using a 12v test lamp or supplying 12v from a battery to the proper terminals in the connector would help ensure that the fuel pump is indeed bad.
Perhaps a corroded ground connection could even cause that pump not to work.
That's all I got.
Happy New Year!! :D
Buffalo4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts