Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year! I bought my very first Honda vehicle in my life and it is a 2018 CR-V EX. I will be using it as my commuter vehicle and therefore I am worry about the element on the road such as rock and debris that could easily chip the pain. I would like your advice on how to best maintain the freshly new look.

I did some research online and found that Paint Protection Film might be a good option. What do you think? I appreciate for your input. :eek:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would not try the paint protection films at all. My experience with them on motorhomes is they yellow with age and look ugly. But that usually happens around the 10 year mark, and you probably won't have the 2018 CRV then. The "clear coat" on most vehicles these days has really improved the toughness of finishes.

If it was me, I would keep it waxed so the rocks will slide off better!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've always heard good things about the 3m clear bra but I've never used it myself. My theory is that you're just saving the paint for the next owner...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used Xpel Ultimate on 2 cars now and have been very pleased with both. They have a 10 year warranty that covers everything, including your full satisfaction. After 4 years it looks like new and I have 0 dings or chips.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Another option is paint sealant or or ceramic paint sealant. Sealants provide a harder clear coat over the factory clear coat paint. They won't protect the paint to the level that the plastic bras will, but are better than nothing. I have used Klasse sealant on several cars with good results, you can apply it to all surfaces including the plastic trim, headlight and taillight lenses, even the glass if you want. A good sized bottle of Klasse sealant runs about $25-30 on autogeek.com. It is easier to apply than wax and has a 12 hour cure time and should last at least a year on a daily driver. A bottle is good for at least 5 or 6 applications. I have found that it keeps the black trim from fading as a plus. If you want to spend a lot more money you can get a professionally applied ceramic sealant coating but I'm not sure that the difference in price is worth it.

You may also want to consider the hood deflector. This directs the air flow over the car to keep road grit (not small stones) from sandblasting the hood and windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used Xpel Ultimate on 2 cars now and have been very pleased with both. They have a 10 year warranty that covers everything, including your full satisfaction. After 4 years it looks like new and I have 0 dings or chips.
Did you cover the whole exterior? Or just the most vulnerable part such as the front of the vehicle? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Say Yes to PPF

Happy New Year! I bought my very first Honda vehicle in my life and it is a 2018 CR-V EX. I will be using it as my commuter vehicle and therefore I am worry about the element on the road such as rock and debris that could easily chip the pain. I would like your advice on how to best maintain the freshly new look.

I did some research online and found that Paint Protection Film might be a good option. What do you think? I appreciate for your input. :eek:
CosmoHunter,

Welcome to the Honda life, we're big fans of Honda here at XPEL. Regarding your questions, there is no replacement for a physical film protecting your paint. Ceramic Coatings and Sealants are excellent tools for making cleaning easier but don't do much in the way of physical rock chip protection. For that, you'll want to go paint protection film AKA clear bra.

For coverage, what we typically see for commuter type cars is the partial front end and other high impact areas. This includes 18" - 24" up the hood and fenders, front bumper, headlights, and side mirrors. Other common daily driver coverage areas include the door cups (so when you reach in you don't get scratches in there), door edges (to prevent dings when opening your door into things), and luggage area (to prevent damage when loading and unloading the vehicle.) A package with this amount of coverage typically runs $895 - $1,095. It will vary based on labor rates, and size of the film used.

Half the battle with any clear bra install is finding a reputable installer so be sure to ask to see samples of their work, and I would even go to their location to meet them face to face. This will let you gauge their workmanship, and their customer service quality.

Hope this info helps, feel free to reach out with any questions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Xpel Tech, how effective are the plastic vehicle wraps I see done on TV? From a distance they look as good as real paint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Say Yes to PPF

Hey Xpel Tech, how effective are the plastic vehicle wraps I see done on TV? From a distance they look as good as real paint.
McReviver,

Do you know which products you're referring to exactly? There are quite a few out there so it's hard to tell without more info. Check out this video though that demonstrates the power of clear bra versus highway speed rocks. It won't let us post a link without having a couple more posts under our belt, but go to YouTube and search XPEL vs Rocks and you'll get to see a test video we made to demonstrate how effective clear bra can be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is totally worth it!
While the small bottle is costly it'll pay off protecting your paint from harmful debris and chemicals.
Another option is paint sealant or or ceramic paint sealant. Sealants provide a harder clear coat over the factory clear coat paint. They won't protect the paint to the level that the plastic bras will, but are better than nothing. I have used Klasse sealant on several cars with good results, you can apply it to all surfaces including the plastic trim, headlight and taillight lenses, even the glass if you want. A good sized bottle of Klasse sealant runs about $25-30 on autogeek.com. It is easier to apply than wax and has a 12 hour cure time and should last at least a year on a daily driver. A bottle is good for at least 5 or 6 applications. I have found that it keeps the black trim from fading as a plus. If you want to spend a lot more money you can get a professionally applied ceramic sealant coating but I'm not sure that the difference in price is worth it.

You may also want to consider the hood deflector. This directs the air flow over the car to keep road grit (not small stones) from sandblasting the hood and windshield.

·
Registered
600 Posts

I would like to add, while I do use the Klasse sealant, I also use wax over the sealant. The sealant will add depth to the paint on darker colored cars like the black, dark grays, obsidian blue, but does not bring up the "shine" like wax does. My wax of choice is Pinnacle Souveran, expensive yes, but lasts a long time. I also use Pinnacle Crystal Mist detailer after each hand wash. The Pinnacle wax can be applied over the black trim also and does not leave wax residue on those parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts