Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some very basic questions about how to use and understand the Maintenance Minder. My official 2015 CR-V owner's manual is surprisingly unhelpful and does not answer the following questions. (Also, my official owner's manual has an asterisk next to the MM feature descriptions that says "On available models," which is scary because I thought all 2015 CR-Vs would have MM and I assumed that mine (an EX) does.)

1. Do the MM service lights and symbols automatically appear on the dashboard when maintenance is due? In other words, is it necessary to cycle through the menus on the top center console to attempt to figure out what maintenance is going to be due when, or when any kind of maintenance is due, will be it displayed in plain sight on the dashboard?
  2. Following question 1: Is it standard procedure to simply wait until MM service lights appear to schedule any sort of maintenance on the car, or should I be doing some other kind of periodic checks (and if so, what)?
  3. Are drivers ever supposed to reset the MM system on their own, or will the dealership/ service center reset that after doing the scheduled maintenance?

Thank you for helping out an ignoramus. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Howdy.

#1. When you get below 15% you'll get messages come up. You sure your mannual does not explain that? Mine does, but it's a 2011.

#2. I would certainly check my oil every now and then. Being a new vehicle for you, you have no idea if it requires oil to be added. It should not, but better safe than sorry. And of course tire pressures,

#3. Service people will reset it after service,

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
#2 Yes, you should check your oil periodically. Brake fluid needs to be replaced every three years too, regardless of mileage. The MM will not alert you to this fact. Other services except for oil changes come up at pre-programmed mileages.

#3 While service people SHOULD reset the MM after a service, they don't always (especially if you use an independent garage or Jiffy Lube type place). Also, if they just do an oil change but other services are due, these will be reset along with the oil change indicator. EG, a tire rotation is usually called for (and, is a good idea with 4WD CR-Vs).

So, I'd suggest learning how to display the pending codes BEFORE you bring it in. That way you can request what is needed for the best reliability.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I stick by the MM myself and actually wait until it hits 5% to change my oil, and only use Synthetic since we have cold winters and hot summers here. I end up doing less than 2 oil changes a year, as per the MM. Of course that all depends on the mileage you do.

The Dealership should reset your MM, but if you go to other places, they might not change it. You might have to insist they do it, but it is in your manual.

I’ll admit, I rarely check my fluids. I check my tire pressure more than anything, especially when the temp. changes with the seasons.

I’ve been driving Honda’s now since 1997 without engine/tranny issues and have never looked back!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts