Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any info at all, been scrollling through trying to find some answers to the problems I’m having in this crv. Can’t really nail any good leads so I’m gonna play dumb and ask away, currently looking to solve and ELD High Voltage Code and a TDC sensor noise Code, only other codes are o2 1 and 2. To start with the ELD I have already junkyard swapped one in with another on hand but even after trying to clear codes that one remained haven’t tried the second one but it did hold a charge for the last day and a half, doesn’t drive much at the moment. But I’m curious about tracing the wiring harness from said fuse box with ELD to battery and alternator like another post suggested but failed to elaborate. As far as the TDC sensor I’m at a loss any direction at all would be a plus,

much love!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,793 Posts
Welcome!

It REALLY helps us help you if you put you CRVs details in your profile.
Click on your avatar in the upper right hand corner.
Then Account Settings.
Then Vehicle Information.
This way it is there every time you post, and we will know enough about your CRV to be able to help.

Reactions: Newtohondalife

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

It REALLY helps us help you if you put you CRVs details in your profile.
Click on your avatar in the upper right hand corner.
Then Account Settings.
Then Vehicle Information.
This way it is there every time you post, and we will know enough about your CRV to be able to help.
Just changed it as far as I’m aware ty!

·
Registered
846 Posts
What is the ELD sensor?
I have not done any electrical diagnostics ever and I don’t even know how to use a volt meter, however, from watching SMA and Ivan on PHD I suppose the other poster meant for you to check continuity at the sensor. In other words there may be a fault in the wiring. In one PHD video he determined there was a fault in the wiring and then when he inspected the wire he found a place where it touched something and melted.

TDC sensor—do you mean the crank position sensor? I don’t believe the RD1 has a camshaft sensor and it uses a sensor on the end of the crankshaft to determine TDC. You can find the wires down at the crankshaft pulley. Somebody may have messed up the wiring if they did the timing belt. It could also have oil on it from leaking out the front main seal. It could also be a problem with the wiring.

It would probably be most helpful if you shared the codes and the symptoms.

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the ELD sensor?
I have not done any electrical diagnostics ever and I don’t even know how to use a volt meter, however, from watching SMA and Ivan on PHD I suppose the other poster meant for you to check continuity at the sensor. In other words there may be a fault in the wiring. In one PHD video he determined there was a fault in the wiring and then when he inspected the wire he found a place where it touched something and melted.

TDC sensor—do you mean the crank position sensor? I don’t believe the RD1 has a camshaft sensor and it uses a sensor on the end of the crankshaft to determine TDC. You can find the wires down at the crankshaft pulley. Somebody may have messed up the wiring if they did the timing belt. It could also have oil on it from leaking out the front main seal. It could also be a problem with the wiring.

It would probably be most helpful if you shared the codes and the symptoms.
From what ive gathered the ELD ( Electronic Load Detector) signals the alternator to deliver the 2 extra volts when powering the accessories and if it’s unable to signal for that it will just drain voltage fast when I first brought it home I slapped in a new battery and it fired right up no problem but dies exceedingly fast when using accessories, mainly trying get rid of the code. ( code for my ELD is P1298)

·
Registered
846 Posts
From what ive gathered the ELD ( Electronic Load Detector) signals the alternator to deliver the 2 extra volts when powering the accessories and if it’s unable to signal for that it will just drain voltage fast when I first brought it home I slapped in a new battery and it fired right up no problem but dies exceedingly fast when using accessories, mainly trying get rid of the code. ( code for my ELD is P1298)
i read a bit and I understand more now. So it seems to be charging ok but won’t clear the code? It would be nice if you could read live data and know what voltage the ECM is reporting, and compare to a digital volt meter reading at the alternator.

you could try swapping in the other ELD.

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone figured I should update on the progress, I cleared my 02 codes without even needing to replace the o2s and it even cleared my ELD code, all in all it was a pesky short coming from the exposed 02 sensor wire on top of the alternator bracket, taped it up and along with the new ELD under the hood cleared those codes, only thing remaining is the TDC sensor no signal, after some research determined my best bet is to try replacing the dizzy since they house multiple sensors including the TDC sensor will let you know if that’s the cure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts